BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've just finished a repair on my centre stand. I think about replacing it with the 4V version but they don't come up very often. The main reason for replacing the 2V with the 4V seems to be the issue with rusting out and collapsing. 
This should never be an issue with mine as is has been treated internally with a good dose of LPS 3 and new end plugs. I did however wonder whether there is any difference on the ease of deployment between the 2V versus the 4V centre stands. I know a few members own both types of Brick so maybe they can answer my question.
Regards Martin.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I have both and also swapped my RT from the curved stand to a K1100 stand.......in my case the old 2v is much easier to get the bike on the stand.

I recently got a complete K1100 assembly to go on the K100RS which has been repaired by the previous owner after it broke and cost him a packet.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
The 4V center stand is slightly shorter so it makes it a little easier to get a bike on the center stand.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys confusion reigns again, one for 2V one for 4V ease of deployment. I also suppose the varying wheel sizes 17 versus 18 also factor in.
Regards Martin.

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Martin!
The 4V stand is much more reliable.
I kept the side stand from my 2V.
The clutch still works when I pull the clutch with my left hand.
Easy to do.
The best is you have a friend sit on the bike while you work on the bike.

Cheers

2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? 1c691310
2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? Bf254710
2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? 1281c510

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Chocolate but I don't need someone to sit on the bike. Years ago when I did the rear main seal I quickly bashed out a Brick Docking Station. It's a bit overkill but it was what I had on hand at the time. I use a strap to secure  the bike to the uprights. I also have a home made lift ( hydraulic hospital bed) but I don't like using it unless I have someone to guide me on. I had a slight mishap and the tyre hit the wheel clamp and the Brick got tired and had a nap. 2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? 177381
Regards Martin.
2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? Dockin12
2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? Dockin11
2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? Dockin10

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Big thumb  Nice

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Thanks Chocolate but I don't need someone to sit on the bike. Years ago when I did the rear main seal I quickly bashed out a Brick Docking Station. It's a bit overkill but it was what I had on hand at the time. I use a strap to secure  the bike to the uprights. I also have a home made lift ( hydraulic hospital bed) but I don't like using it unless I have someone to guide me on. I had a slight mishap and the tyre hit the wheel clamp and the Brick got tired and had a nap. 2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? 177381
Regards Martin.2V versus 4V centre stand ease of deployment?? Dockin10
I have one of these folding ladders I use for DIY. But it also is a work platform. Set up as a work platform it goes over the K, adjustable ratchet straps dropped down to the rear frame take the weight of the K off the rear and keep it upright. Can work totally alone and makes things like changing stand assembly or rear shock when you have a busted centre stand a cinch.

I have also been down to my local Honda dealer yesterday for new tyres......some new bikes were delivered in shipping crates. I asked what happens the crates [they are shipped from Japan in the crates], he pointed over to a pile of metal scrap in a corner.....now these are perfect for a K even. They bolt together and flat pack, the braces are all bolted in..........The bikes come fully assembled inside the crates with ratchet straps keeping them in place.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
After the first couple of deployments of the repaired stand it got hit and miss whether I was going to get it up onto the centre stand. I found a Late K100 stand on Ebay and the guy was going to send pictures which failed to arrive.  I then sent him an Email asking for condition of the bushes and got no answer, so decided to search elsewhere. I ended up with a K1100 one off the local BMW wrecker which I picked today.

I gave it a bit of a clean up and a coat of Rustoleum Canyon Black on the legs. The K1100 side stand had the auto retract when you take the weight off it. I wasn't real keen on that function so I did a bit of a swap between my original and put the clutch retract setup on. I used to have a slice of boat roller fitted to my side stand to get it at a better angle, which is now not needed. I will have to get used to the new stand but it is definitely easier.
Regards Martin.

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Martin, I assume by auto retract when the weight comes off you mean via springs like some of the airhead models. The reason for my comment is that I have never seen one on a K1100 and wonder if the OEM K1100 side stand has been modified to achieve that type of action.

I modified the side stand on my R80G/S to not auto retract and then fitted an indicator light on the dash as a warning when the stand was down. Somehow, like many of us I survived the first 30 years of my riding life without any side stand intervention devices.

Cheers

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Gaz you're right, there was a third spring that I assumed to be auto retract. I had a look and besides the spring it has a plate with a hook on it. At this stage I don't think I have all the pieces to make it work as clutch retract. I would be interested if anyone has pictures and an explanation of how it works. I did use the K75 clutch retract mechanism with the new stand but the pull required to retract the stand is a lot heavier, and would put more strain on the clutch cable.
Regards Martin.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote: I would be interested if anyone has pictures and an explanation of how it works.
Regards Martin.
Reading between the lines of post #5 in this thread, there seems to be clutch lever actuated retraction of the 2V side stand attached to Chocolate's K1100 center stand. I see what appears to be a retraction rod in the photo. Maybe Chocolate can shed some light on making this mechanism operate well for you.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Laitch I had a look at Chocolates mechanism and it is the K75 one the same as I'm now running. The K1100 mechanism substitutes the 75 plate with the rod for a plate with a hook and a rotary spring. From what I can see in a parts drawing there is another plate (missing) that is somehow activated by the clutch. I have greased all pivot points copiously with a mix of goanna oil and koala grease, however still a lot heavier than previous activation. If I can't find an answer today I'll start a separate post. 
Regards Martin.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
As a test I just fitted the rotary spring and hooked plate to my old stand. As the stand is deployed the rotary spring is put under tension. If I fit the rotary spring onto the K1100 stand with the K75 plate and  rod it should help ease the burden on the cable. However it will have to wait until tomorrow as we are taking eldest daughter out on a shopping spree for her birthday. On one hand clothes shopping with two women or working on the Brick. BAlance 
Regards Martin.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I refitted the rotary spring to the side stand, it might of helped slightly. I have also poured over parts drawings of the K1100 side stand set up and even if I had the missing plate I can't see how it was attached to the clutch lever.
Which brings me to ask did the K1100 have such a mechanism or did it just have a switch.
Regards Martin.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:
. . . did the K1100 have such a mechanism or did it just have a switch.
The K1100 doesn't have mechanical side stand retraction; it has only the switch.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Laitch I've just got back from my mate with the herd of Bricks place, all out to pasture still. I had a look at his 16V K100 stand set up and came to the same conclusion switch only. All is now well with the world and I can now sleep peacefully.  Sleep 
Regards a content Martin.

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
Martin,

I have a complete Centre/Side stand setup off a K100RS 4V for sale on Gumtree if anyone else is looking for one.  I fitted one to a K100 8V that I used to own many years ago, it was a little bit harder to get up onto the stand but nothing too difficult.  The back wheel was a bit higher off the ground which was a bonus when on uneven ground where if you had the standard stand the font and back wheels were both touching the ground, it would make me nervous.

Last edited by GB777 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

Exsna01

Exsna01
Just pulled off my stand today, going to have my welder/ fabricator look at it and see if fix is possible. The right side is completely rusted off at the start of the bend on lower leg. Upper looks ok ( above cros brace) on both left and right. Want to see if he can fab. Solid bar stock to fit in hollow tube that’s good and weld it in place. If this has been done before sorry for posting as I just joined up and haven’t done all the reading yet. If anyone wants I’ll take a pic and try to send after it’s fixed. A good day to all, Lon

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks JB I got one off Chris the BM shop. Exsna the main problem I encountered that even after repairing my old stand the hard steel bushes that BMW use had worn the eyes of the stand. To fix them it would have required either replacing the eyes with suitable tube and fitting new OEM bushes or align boring the eyes and making new brass bushes which shouldn't wear the eyes as much. But while I was contemplating what to do I managed to pick up a latter stand which is much better. when I get a bit of time I might look at align boring and brass bushing my old one.
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum