93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

2Back to top Go down   Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Empty Looks cool Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:28 pm

stanthomas

stanthomas
Silver member
Silver member
It shows off the single-sided wheel, a la RC30.
I think Honda messed-up with the VFR750F by putting the exhaust on the other side. There are practical reasons for both orientations. Exhaust on the swing-arm side means you can get  the wheel off quickly, important on an RC30 but perhaps no so much for a bike with panier mounts. Exhaust on the other side is easier to route, leaves room for a centre stand and makes the bike look more 'balanced'.

Last edited by stanthomas on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
I think someone's put a lot of thought, time, effort and money into it. Good luck to them.

However, the front brake MC sitting so high detracts from the shape and lines of the bike.

GF

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Pulls up alongside car at traffic lights;  "Hey buddy, whaddya think of ma cool mosheen?"

Car Driver; "S'up to temperature mate, would you like me to knock the fast idle off?"

Nice work though. Nice touches - like the colour-coded horn.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
"All the electricity was made again, cooperating with Motogadget m.unit blue."

But, somehow I still twigged to what he is trying to say.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
This K100 Too!

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
stanthomas wrote:Exhaust on the swing-arm side means you can get  the wheel off quickly.

Most of the ones I've seen ditch the center stand in order to route the exhaust behind the tranny. Good luck getting the wheel off easily without a center stand.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

cycleman

cycleman
Silver member
Silver member
Both of those bike links, show some sweet work.  A good way to go if you are into that stuff and have a less than stellar RT/LT.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
GF Wollongong wrote:I think someone's put a lot of thought, time, effort and money into it. Good luck to them.
However, the front brake MC sitting so high detracts from the shape and lines of the bike.
GF
Agreed, but that's the way they are on current sportsbikes where it's hidden behind a windscreen. I would have kept it lower profile.

stanthomas

stanthomas
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:
stanthomas wrote:Exhaust on the swing-arm side means you can get  the wheel off quickly.

Most of the ones I've seen ditch the center stand in order to route the exhaust behind the tranny.  Good luck getting the wheel off easily without a center stand.
You need one of these:
Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Honda-Rc30-Genuine-Paddock-Stand-Vfr750R-Hrc

Which is, of course, entirely impractical to carry around. And useless on a K 'cos there's no hole thru the wheel centre (looks like it might be possible on the R Nine T although they still put the exhaust on the 'conservative' side).

On a more general point, why do these stripped bikes command such high prices? Taking off the standard parts to make a street fighter was what you did after smashing the bike up and not being able to afford to put it right. When we made Tritons, we put the best engine in the best chassis to make a better, more purposeful bike. Yes, it was 'cos there were lots of crashed Bonnevilles and lots of Featherbed chassis discarded by the Cooper racecar builders, but it was a different bike. K (and boxer) customs are just standard bikes minus stuff.

Some, like the one here, show a bit of care and attention but it's still very much a standard K with holes in the gas tank to clip the fairing into. A custom is very much an expression of your own personal taste, are there really that many people ready to stump up good money for someone else's idea of what to do with a bike rescued from the breakers yard? Surely a tidy original is always worth more, after all it cost a lot to keep it looking good and running right?

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
My version of a café racer, but more practical, it had a rack and saddle bags and I used to be able to ride it to the shops, and it got plenty of attention. It was more individual and unique than most café racers and all I destroyed in making it was a Chinese bicycle. The motor was from an old rotary hoe that I didn't even see and it was about to go to the tip. cheers 
Regards Martin.
Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Le_fau14

12Back to top Go down   Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Empty Muffler Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:09 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I rode cruisers before a brick. With bikes,  and cruisers in particular, it is very odd to have a muffler on the left side, unless there's one on both sides. Almost as odd as a brake lever on the left side.

I'm used to it now. Probably even better, since most drops are on the right side, so no damage to the muffler then.

(agree you get a better view of the non standard wheel, and resisting the urge to say so you can go around left hand corners faster)

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Le_fau14
Oooh, I like that.
I think I've just felt a twitch about the next project.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Chris the other side showing clutch. Top speed on the flat 40 Kph.
Regards Martin.
Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Le_fau15

teuski

teuski
Some strippers do weird things with their "exhausts" Very Happy

Open rear wheel looks really neat. For my K i found an old Nico Bakker dual exhaust, nice sounds and much shorter than the original trumpet.

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
stanthomas wrote:
duck wrote:

Most of the ones I've seen ditch the center stand in order to route the exhaust behind the tranny.  Good luck getting the wheel off easily without a center stand.
You need one of these:
Why do the strippers put the exhaust can on the right side? Honda-Rc30-Genuine-Paddock-Stand-Vfr750R-Hrc

Which is, of course, entirely impractical to carry around. And useless on a K 'cos there's no hole thru the wheel centre (looks like it might be possible on the R Nine T although they still put the exhaust on the 'conservative' side).

On a more general point, why do these stripped bikes command such high prices? Taking off the standard parts to make a street fighter was what you did after smashing the bike up and not being able to afford to put it right. When we made Tritons, we put the best engine in the best chassis to make a better, more purposeful bike. Yes, it was 'cos there were lots of crashed Bonnevilles and lots of Featherbed chassis discarded by the Cooper racecar builders, but it was a different bike. K (and boxer) customs are just standard bikes minus stuff.

Some, like the one here, show a bit of care and attention but it's still very much a standard K with holes in the gas tank to clip the fairing into. A custom is very much an expression of your own personal taste, are there really that many people ready to stump up good money for someone else's idea of what to do with a bike rescued from the breakers yard? Surely a tidy original is always worth more, after all it cost a lot to keep it looking good and running right?
Amen to that Bro

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I am rewiring my bike, I thought about changing the switches and everything. I have decided to keep the original switches and keep the bike as standard as possible, I am just replacing the fuses and relays with an M-Unit and replacing the old warn out wiring. I think that the K is good bike it just needs to be updated in the electrical department. I might change the dashboard but the exhaust will remain. I think people change the look of the bike and spoil a good looking bike.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
To answer the original question: because they can? (Think about it).

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Because they are all "individuals"

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum