BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty fiberglass fairing repair? Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:28 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member

anyone with experience on repairing a crack like this in my fairing? I'm thinking some fiberglass matting with resin on the inside to strenghten it, then bondo and paint on the outside. Am I on the right track?
thanks,
wayne
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Fairing011[/img]
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Fairing012[/img]

Last edited by WayneDW on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.fossilapostles.com

2Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:59 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Wayne, your'e on the right track there, i would drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent further travel, then use a dremel all along the crack on the outside to a depth of 1 mm, thats your preparation done, you can now start you repair. the hardest part may be the colour match

3Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:35 am

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
sand off the paint work on the inside about 1&1/2 inch each side of the crack and take a little off the depth of the faring,dremmel is a good tool for this and use fibre glass matting & resin to take up the depth then finish with bondo on the top to make it flush then do the same on the outside . . make sure you ware a mask when sanding ,the stuff they use for the faring is pretty fine and not the best for your lungs . . i did mine and it came out nice . . be prepared for a lot of sanding and refilling if your going to want a professional finnish . . good luuk and take some photos of the job and stick em on here Very Happy

4Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
If you check the download section, you will find a document on repairing a fairing. This document is in Italian but has few pictures of the process.
The K100 fairing is made of compressed fiberglass.

5Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:50 am

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks guys, very helpful info.
Now, lets start talking about the paint. I've found that it is called "Royal Blue #608". My understanding is that I can bring that info to a auto paint supply store and order as such? I have no professional paint tools so I'm thinking of having them put it in a rattle can. Is that a big mistake? I know where I can borrow an airless painter that painters use on houses but don't know about the air painters that auto body places use. Would an airless paint sprayer work?

Honestly, I'd like the finish product to look nice but don't care much that it be showroom perfect. I'd rather not bring it in to a professional because of the cost.

thanks again,
wayne

6Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 am

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
airless sprayer is no good keep that for painting the golden gate bridge or what ever . . rattle can will be better for you . . prime, rub down ,paint then laquer . . i got a rattle can paint matched to the code but it wasnt a good match ,too dark and it shows up ,so next spring i will buy enough paint to do all the panels the same colour . .

7Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 am

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
bobbiebongo said to post process pictures, so here goes:
Last night I did the fiberglass work on the inside.
I had bought a fiberglass repair kit that had everything I needed including a little brush and vinyl gloves:
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Miscpics044[/img]

First I sanded the area down, also drilled a couple small holes as suggested to keept the cracks from growing:
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Miscpics042[/img]

I cut the fiberglass mesh to fit around the tabs:
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Miscpics043[/img]

Mixed up the resin and hardner and painted it on the area and between and over the two layers of mesh:
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Miscpics045[/img]

The next morning the area is very hard and very strong:
[img]fiberglass fairing repair? Miscpics046[/img]

Next, I will sand down the new fiberglass area a bit and then work on the outside of the fairing, opening and filling the crack with bondo, etc. More to come...

8Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:50 am

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Also, about the paint, everyone pointed me to Color Rite to find the paint "Royal Blue #680". Here is what they said to my query:

"Hello Wayne,

Unfortunately we do not have this color available and I’m not sure of anyone that does. You’ll have to find out who made the paint for BMW back then and see if you can still get some. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank-you.

Steve

ColorRite Dist West Inc"

I guess I will bring a sample into an autopaint store and have them scan it and try to match it. Unless someone has another source? ...

9Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:23 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Nice job Wayne - nothing to add, this used to be part of my day job [ GRP ]!

Re: paint - most good paint stores will match colour either from formulas or the experienced will do it by eye. That's bulk of course for spraying - I'm guessing a rattle can would be more practical. Some paint shops [ UK anyway ] will make up a paint code in a can for you. Either way make certain you have a good suface / primer paint as a base. Wink

Remember GRP "moves" throughout it's life, especially in extremes of heat - use plenty of the matting material that Wayne suggested before the final surface repair. Cool

10Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Wayne. Have you tried rsbikepaint.com?
They have been around for 30 years and claim to have 25,000 colours to match.
They can supply touch ups, rattle cans and loose quantities.
Might be worth an email.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

11Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Glasurit was, and perhaps still is, BMW's paint supplier for a dog's age.

fiberglass fairing repair? Glasur10

12Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:18 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
rsbikepaint.com does have the paint.
thanks so much.
Wayne

13Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
:arrow: keep going . . looks good Wink

14Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:14 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Here is my weekly progress report. Again, I am an amateur at all of this and am only posting to perhaps be of help to others in my predicament.

First I dug out and slightly enlarged the crack with a small paint scraper:
/fiberglass fairing repair? Fairingrepair001

Then I did some more sanding around the area as preparation for the Bondo,
Here is the bondo applied:
fiberglass fairing repair? Fairingrepair006

Bondo sanded smooth and also some finish cracks I found northeast of there:
/fiberglass fairing repair? Fairingrepair009

Fairing taped off and primer applied:
/fiberglass fairing repair? Fairingrepair010

Primer lightly sanded with 400 grit, then a primer sealer sprayed on:
fiberglass fairing repair? Fairingrepair011

Now I'm waiting for the paint. RSbikepaint in Great Britain has the color but currently doesn't ship out of the country. They say that will be remedied in the near future so I will be patient. Can't ride with all the snow outside anyhow!

15Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
So far, so good!
When you spray the paint, start with the area that you repaired. As careful as you can be there will always be some bondo touch up required.
It doesn't make any sense to paint the full fairing to start touching it up after.
One advice that my painter gave me:
"Don't try to correct small imperfections with filler. In stead, sand the fairing to blend the defect".

Bert

16Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Crazy Frog wrote:So far, so good!
When you spray the paint, start with the area that you repaired. As careful as you can be there will always be some bondo touch up required.
It doesn't make any sense to paint the full fairing to start touching it up after.
One advice that my painter gave me:
"Don't try to correct small imperfections with filler. In stead, sand the fairing to blend the defect".

Bert

Thanks for the tips, Bert. I did already find a couple defects that you can see in my first primed picture. I sanded those down and re-primed before the primer sealer picture. It seems nice and smooth now, I'm hoping it will finish nicely.

Wayne.

17Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
[img:1f21]http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/fiberglass fairing repair? Fairingpaint004[/img]
Update. I finally got the paint from RS Motorbike Paints in England. The painting went OK and looks pretty good. If I had it to do over again, I'd sand the whole side of the fairing down and re-paint the whole side. There is a line of color change where I had put the masking tape during the priming.

I have decided to live with that problem but I have another question:
I put an acrylic lacquer clear coat on the fairing and it has dried satin and I need to make it gloss. I've tried buffing it with a pad on a drill but it isn't doing the trick. Did I use the wrong clear coat or is there something else I can do to make it shine? Maybe just polish?

thanks so much.

18Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:12 am

sgmayhew

sgmayhew
Silver member
Silver member
I have used the techniques described here
http://www.motorcyclepartsx.com/cheap-motorcycle-painting.htm
They have worked well. The deep shine appears like magic after the final wet sanding and 4-5 cycles with rubbing compound.

19Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 am

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
sgmayhew wrote:I have used the techniques described here
http://www.motorcyclepartsx.com/cheap-motorcycle-painting.htm
They have worked well. The deep shine appears like magic after the final wet sanding and 4-5 cycles with rubbing compound.

That's a great link.
Thanks.

20Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
A car DIY program said that the lacquer can dry to a satin finish if the room temperature is too warm. Seems it partly drys before it hits the surface.
Apart from your lacquer problem, how did you find using the aerosols from RS Paints? I need to redo a fairing panel and front guard.
Good article on painting SG. Was passing Dublin today on my way to Cork to pick up a set of wheels and forks.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

21Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:08 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
fiberglass fairing repair? Pictur11fiberglass fairing repair? Pictur10</A>"

nice job wayne .....i have had to do a similar repair .....but didnt get the finish i was hoping for also .......i guess the spray cans cant lay as fine paint as a gun ....i will be revisiting the job as soon as i can get some moneyy together.....i have been told that many layers of clear over acrylic will deepen the look and hopefully the shine

i was able to get a colour match from a good supplier ...who scanned the paint and came up with bmw 605 paint code (my bike is a 616 colour scheme) that sounded about right to me ...and from a formular was able to generate the right mix ....boy .was i impressed..... so i guess ill be visiting them again ....they even gave me the formular for the mix to add to my files

Last edited by charlie99 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 am; edited 3 times in total

22Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Comberjohn wrote:Apart from your lacquer problem, how did you find using the aerosols from RS Paints? I need to redo a fairing panel and front guard.

I was very impressed with RS Paints. Both their customer service and their paint. They really had to go through a ton of paper work to send an aerosol can across to the U.S. It was classified as hazardous. No one over here had the paint code for the '92 Royal Blue. They also sent a helpful pointer sheet on painting with aerosols.

23Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:59 am

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
you should be able to get clear coat off the shelf over there . . spray it on in heavier coats and leave it to dry a bit between coats, you have to leave the solvents to come out of the coat before the next coat ,dont do it in a damp cold enviroment . .

24Back to top Go down   fiberglass fairing repair? Empty Re: fiberglass fairing repair? Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:01 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Wayne,
The repairs look well and some very good advice here, I must try and get some grey for my K100.

Regards

BIG D

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum