BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
So, apparently this is a thing... K100ct10
The left foot on my centerstand snapped off at the gas station--dropped the bike because of it. So, apparently this is a thing... 259495

I'm assuming this is because I always used the centerstand, to alleviate the smoky-startup issue?

Now I *really* have to replace my handlebars, along with replacing this and some right mirror parts.   Rolling Eyes

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The K1100 centre stand goes right onto a K100, is an overall 'better' design and occasionally requires a small grind here or there to fit right. They rust and break, the old style. You can often find a solid K11 stand on eBay. Pity about the damage.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The end plugs can crack and leak allowing water into the stand. This eventually rusts out the stand leading to it breaking and the bike falling over.  When I first got my bike I removed my stand and removed the cracked plugs. I then neutralised the rust and cleaned it out as best I could with a wire bottle brush in my drill. I then filled the legs with a waxy rust preventative (LPS3 or Fisholene) and sloshed it arounddrained it and let it dry. Once dry I repeated the rust preventative process a couple more times and then replaced the rubber plugs. It is important to check these plugs occasionally and replace them if cracked.  I believe salted roads that some of you have to cope with would exacerbate the problem. 
Regards Martin.

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
I repaired mine by inserting a metal bar inside then welded it in place as for the centre stand caps iv used wine bottle corks for years.Vintage not an issue Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum