BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Ripped Clutch Disk Empty Ripped Clutch Disk Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 pm

downssm

downssm
Silver member
Silver member
General request for ideas.... RE: 1988 BMW K100, 25k miles. Purchased this project bike, never owned a K100 before. Was told a rear main seal leak had caused the clutch to go. It ran and made no noise. I find the disk has been ripped in two. Female splines sheared off the clutch disk center section. Trans input shaft splines appear good/clean/crisp, trans seams fine and runs through the gears, when the shaft is spun. Engine runs smooth. The bike appears to have been left outside alot. Bugs, wasp nests.. Will need to repair wiring. What else should I look for before I re-assemble it? (with new disk) Was this a case of a bad disk or bad rider goofing off? I,ve heard of tranny problems, could this be a case of that? Never seen a sheared disk before on a bike! I think I've checked all the bases, looking for any ideas, similar experiences.

Thanks in advance!!

Steve

2Back to top Go down   Ripped Clutch Disk Empty Re: Ripped Clutch Disk Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:45 pm

downssm

downssm
Silver member
Silver member
Getting ready to re-assemble the bike. Would appreciate any ideas on what else to check before I put it all back together.

3Back to top Go down   Ripped Clutch Disk Empty Re: Ripped Clutch Disk Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:10 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Steve, there has been some clutch disks breaking in Europe, whereby the inner part, with the spline bush, was ripped out of the disk webbing, separating the centre part from the outer circumference, don't know if that's what you have experienced. Here it was taken as faulty disks and therefore the recommendation to always use original spares. Other things that could be an issue is the bearing of the outgoing shaft of the engine. If that bearing goes you get undue forces within your clutch disk. In that case the bearing of the ingoing shaft of the gearbox needs to be looked at as well. Hope that helps. Cheers, Rene

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum