BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 am

UnclePete

Hi there - I've just bought a 1983 K100 RS and on riding it home (around 25km) it stalled at successive traffic light stops. No dramas at at when up and going, just when stopping. Initially idled fine, but after warming up somewhat, problem occured. Any suggestions? Thanks, Peter

2Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 pm

shay

Hey
since you just got the bike today,if i were you i would start from basics like checking/changing the spark plugs , ignition wires(!) ,changing all the liquids ,filters etc..
it might have something to do with either fuel or ignition so maybe the bike runs on 3 cylinders and you only feel it when you come to a full stop and since its your first hours in the saddle you can't yet tell the difference from a "normaly" working bike.
also go through all the connectors make sure they are not corroded and propertly connected-i just spend 3 days trying to get the injectors on my k100 to spray some fuel because the water temp sensor's connector wasn't allowing electrons to pass to and back from the sensor!!
good luck Very Happy

3Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:46 pm

UnclePete

Hi Shay,

Yep - I think that is good advice and will start the basics this weekend. Looking through the various areas of this website is terrific. Heaps of advice and resources.

Thanks,
Peter

4Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
yep Shay is correct. Your symptom description is too broad to pinpoint the exact cause.
I think that the best place to start is, as Shay said, to go though all the obvious electric and fuel checks. The best place to look is in the download pages. In my opinion you may want to start with this:
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/bike-wont-start1.htm

Yes, it has to do with "no start" but I think that this is equally a good place to start when you are having any problems with the bike not wanting to , or just having problems with running reliably.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

5Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:59 pm

UnclePete

Thanks Ned - will post when I find the solution (hopefully).

Cheers,
Peter

6Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Can I add one thing... I always start with the vital signs about the health of your new bike and they are:
a. Compression tests, and
b. Fuel pressure and fuel pressure leaks.

If you can clear these, then the problem is a matter of chasing down the components.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

7Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:23 pm

UnclePete

Excellent - thanks - looking forward to a mechanical weekend...
Cheers,
Peter

8Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
What is the idle speed set to? If it won't idle warm I would initially suspect air leaks.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:22 am

UnclePete

Hi K-BIKE,
Idle (from memory) was around 900rpm? Not 100% sure as it was only when I picked it up - then started stalling, etc, etc. I'll take the advice and establish a baseline as far as fuel filter, clean contacts, grounds etc and see what happens then.
A huge thankyou to all who have posted, plus, the downloads section is unbelievable with its wealth of information. Just blown away how good this site is!
Will post soon.
Cheers, Peter

10Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there.
Afther an idle air/fuel mixture adjusting, mine started to stall at stops, the riding was fine but wen trootle was cut idle will fail and the engine staled. The mixture was corrected (was runing too poor) and the problem solved.
So as stated before check for air leaks that will cause the same effect.
Best regards.
JAP

11Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
On my bike, the iddle is 950RPM..then goes higher when the engine is hot..1050RPM.

Cheers.

12Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:35 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Idle should be 950 (+/- 50) rpm with a warm motor.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Stalls at traffic lights... Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

13Back to top Go down   Stalls at traffic lights... Empty Re: Stalls at traffic lights... Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:45 pm

UnclePete

Hi again - some feedback from the weekend - my darling wife decided that renovations to our deck would take precedence over bike maintenance due to end of season soccer party at our house this coming Saturday. Bike has to wait till next Sunday. I can live with that. The only concession was a 20 minute ride to warm up oil prior to unscrewing oil drain bolt so it could drain away all week (which it's currently doing). Will post again after next Sunday when all filters replaced, new oil and spark plugs.
Again, really appreciate all the advice.
Cheers, Peter

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum