BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:21 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
In my restoration of an '86 K100 I've run into a problem of parts being discontinued or NA. The particular part is the gasket that seals the two halves of an instrument pod. The part 62 11 1 459 232.The price is still there on one website, $8., though it is indicated as discontinued. Anyone know of an alternative part or work around?

Background, the oil light is out on this '86 K100, i.e. it doesn't turn on when power is applied and the engine is not running. Thinking the most simple reason would be a burned out bulb I opened up the instrument pod and measured continuity of the bulb. It measures at 5 ohms so there is another less simple problem. But the process of opening up the instrument pod naturally destroyed the gasket. Bike hasn't been touched in 10 years and possibly longer since the instrument pod was opened.

Thanks

2Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty Re: K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Is this the o-ring type affair that goes slack and is a bugger to re-install? I've never done this myself, but I'd consider one of those DIY kits that comes as an endless section of o-ring that you cut and glue yourself?
Not saying this idea is any good - it's one of mine remember  Surprised

Edit: the stuff is called nitrile cord.

3Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty Re: K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:35 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
You might also be able to use that self fusing silicone tape over the joint. If it can seal hoses and pipes it should work on a instrument pod and it's available in black.
Regards Martin.
K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Self_f10

4Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty Re: K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'd never heard of nitrile cord before. Found it locally so I'll get some and try it. I've got some of the fusing tape and can give it a try as well. I've also been advised that RTV, a rubber like sealant in thinly spread doses works. Any comments on that?

5Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty Re: K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It might be a bit of work if you want to get it apart later if you use RTV. You might be able to get a seal that could be pulled apart by lightly greasing or oiling the surfaces to be sealed.
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty Re: K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
chris846 wrote:Is this the o-ring type affair that goes slack and is a bugger to re-install? I've never done this myself, but I'd consider one of those DIY kits that comes as an endless section of o-ring that you cut and glue yourself?
Not saying this idea is any good - it's one of mine remember  Surprised

Edit: the stuff is called nitrile cord.
I have done this I think it was 2mm or maybe 2.5mm cord and it worked well using super glue to stick the ends together.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   K 75/100 Instrument Pod Gasket Empty Oh My Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
On a whim I went to my hole in wall hardware store. Found an O-ring which works. At $3.19 it beats the BMW $8.46 price when they had them. It is 1/8" in diameter but looks like it will work.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum