BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 12:36 am

jnclem

jnclem
I have an '89 K100rs with 30k miles on it. I adjusted the valves a couple of weeks ago and reused the old valve cover gasket. It seemed plenty flexible. The problem I had was simply trying to keep the gasket in place on the cover to install it. 

I have the black powder coated engine and the channel that the gasket sits in is VERY slippery. I cleaned all the oil from the cover, the gasket, and the head, but it seemed impossible to keep that gasket in place while installing the cover. The gasket seems to be a bit too small to sit in the cover groove, so it constantly slips out of place. I fought with it for a very long time, but finally got it in place.

I used a little RTV on the two seams at the timing cover, and on the half-moon pieces, but none anywhere else. I think all of the messing around with it removed too much RTV. I thought it was not leaking after a short ride, but a 200 mile ride showed a slight leak from the top seam at the timing cover joint.

I ordered a new gasket. My question is, are there any tricks to getting that gasket to stay in place while you install the cover? I have been told that the non-powder coated engines are easier.

Any thoughts?

2Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 4:50 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Dobs of grease to hold the gasket in the cover, then rotate it onto the engine from the bottom of the cylinder head like you're closing a book.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Valve cover gaskets Mon May 03, 2021 8:18 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Since it's still plenty flexible you should be able to give it a gentle stretch too. Maybe in the sun a bit too while it's off.

4Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 8:24 am

jnclem

jnclem
Dai wrote:Dobs of grease to hold the gasket in the cover, then rotate it onto the engine from the bottom of the cylinder head like you're closing a book.
That’s the usual solution, but it didn’t work on that Teflon cover. That powder coat really changes things.

5Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 am

jnclem

jnclem
daveyson wrote:Since it's still plenty flexible you should be able to give it a gentle stretch too. Maybe in the sun a bit too while it's off.
I did try stretching, but it didn’t hold. That’s why I’m going to try a new gasket. Maybe it’s not as flexible as it seemed. It just wasn’t hard like they get with more miles.

I understand that the new ones come a little small and need to be stretched. Warming it up is a good idea. I’ll do that this time.

6Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 am

jnclem

jnclem
I had watched one YT video where the guy was using 3 bond to glue the gasket into the cover, but that should not be necessary. I haven’t seen anyplace else where anyone was doing that.

7Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Did you have the inside surface of the valve cover powder-coated?

8Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 2:12 pm

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:Did you have the inside surface of the valve cover powder-coated?
I didn’t, it’s factory. Maybe powder coat is the wrong term, but the black engines as compared  to the silver one are extremely slick. I know a guy that’s been at this for 50 years that gripes about it. I just thought maybe someone here had found a trick.

9Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jnclem wrote:I know a guy that’s been at this for 50 years that gripes about it.
If I'd been trying to install a valve cover for 50 years without success, I'd gripe, too; in fact, I would have started griping at the 20-year mark.

10Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 3:02 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
jnclem wrote:I had watched one YT video where the guy was using 3 bond to glue the gasket into the cover, but that should not be necessary. I haven’t seen anyplace else where anyone was doing that.
It should not be a secret that many factory techs use Drei Bond on the rubber gaskets around the half moons and in the corners, on old & new K bikes. A comeback costs the mechanic.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

11Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 pm

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:
jnclem wrote:I know a guy that’s been at this for 50 years that gripes about it.
If I'd been trying to install a valve cover for 50 years without success, I'd gripe, too; in fact, I would have started griping at the 20-year mark.
He’s stubborn if he’s anything. Very Happy

12Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Mon May 03, 2021 9:39 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jnclem wrote:He’s stubborn if he’s anything. Very Happy
That's the trick you're seeking.  cheers

13Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
I fitted a new gasket in the valve cover of my K75 a couple of months ago and initially it was a nightmare trying to stretch it into the groove and keep it there while attempting to fit the cover. After several attempts over several hours due to the time taken to clean sealant between each attempt a phone call to Smithy confirmed that he also had the experience of a gasket needing to be stretched a little to fit.

The answer is to get hold of a piece of glass slightly larger than the cover, thoroughly clean the groove and sparingly apply a thin bead of sealant around the groove, fit the gasket into the groove at one end and feed the gasket into the groove as you slide the cover (gasket down) onto the glass. Once I had the cover completely on the glass sheet I carefully moved it around a bit while holding downward pressure to get the gasket to sit evenly in the cover. I loaded the cover with a house brick and left it for 3 days. With the gasket set in place with the sealant just fit it to the engine and bolt up.

Hope you don't need to ride the bike in a hurry.

Cheers

14Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Tue May 04, 2021 10:01 am

jnclem

jnclem
Gaz wrote:I fitted a new gasket in the valve cover of my K75 a couple of months ago and initially it was a nightmare trying to stretch it into the groove and keep it there while attempting to fit the cover. After several attempts over several hours due to the time taken to clean sealant between each attempt a phone call to Smithy confirmed that he also had the experience of a gasket needing to be stretched a little to fit.

The answer is to get hold of a piece of glass slightly larger than the cover, thoroughly clean the groove and sparingly apply a thin bead of sealant around the groove, fit the gasket into the groove at one end and feed the gasket into the groove as you slide the cover (gasket down) onto the glass. Once I had the cover completely on the glass sheet I carefully moved it around a bit while holding downward pressure to get the gasket to sit evenly in the cover. I loaded the cover with a house brick and left it for 3 days. With the gasket set in place with the sealant just fit it to the engine and bolt up.

Hope you don't need to ride the bike in a hurry.

Cheers
Wow. Now there’s a solution. 😂😂  And the next time you check the valves, it will likely remain glued to the cover so you don’t have to do that a second time. I’m sure glad BMW didn’t just make a gasket that actually fits their cover. I mean, what is the advantage of making the gasket too small for the cover? 

I knew about this issue before I took it off, but since I was refitting the used gasket, or so I thought, I thought it would have stretched out in use and would fit back into the cover. Not so much. It tenaciously shrank back to its original too small size.

It probably took me close to an hour to get it back together the first time. It think that in doing so, I messed up the sealant at the case seams and that’s what is now seeping. It’s not a terrible leak, but I know I won’t be able to leave it like that. I want it right.

Thanks for all the input.

15Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Valve cover gasket Tue May 04, 2021 4:27 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Maybe smear some clear sealant on the outside, might do the job until you next check the valves, yeah it's the lazy way. 

Another thought, if your not already doing this, leave the gasket in the rocker cover, while your doing the valves, so it doesn't have so much time to shrink.

16Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Tue May 18, 2021 5:03 pm

jnclem

jnclem
I decided to follow up on this. When I took the valve cover off the second time, I decided to use a new gasket, even though the original was still supple. I've been told that the new ones need to be stretched to fit, and are even harder to get right than the used ones in good shape. Again, this is on a black painted valve cover which make them very slippery.

It turned out, in this case at least, that the gaskets fit perfectly and didn't need any stretching at all. That made it much easier to keep it in place during installation. Maybe I was just lucky, but it was great. I've been told by people that have been working on these bikes since 1985 that they have NEVER had a new gasket not need to be stretched and wrestled to keep in place. Maybe things have changed, or maybe I just happened to get one that fit.

I opened a new tube of Permatex Ultra Black and used that on the case seams and half-moons. I didn't need to use any sealer to glue the gasket to the cover at all. 

This being an RS, not an RT or LT, I had not removed the lower side cover the first time. It probably isn't necessary to remove it, but with that cover in place, you have to tilt the valve cover slightly in at the top to get it under the side cover. That encourages the gasket to fall out of place. This time I did remove the lower side cover, and that allows you to keep the valve cover vertical, or even tip the top back toward you just a little as you fit it onto the head. It just makes it a little easier to keep that gasket in place. For the few minutes that it takes to remove the side cover, I think it was worth it.

So, all in all, the second try was much easier.  The rocket sled is back on the road and not leaking oil. Valves are set, and I'm ready for a lot more miles before I have to try that again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

17Back to top Go down   Installing Valve Cover Gasket Empty Re: Installing Valve Cover Gasket Wed May 19, 2021 7:47 am

JiiPee63

JiiPee63
Silver member
Silver member
I used a small drop of super glue in the corners to keep the rubber gasket on its place. A super fast method if you are in a hurry to install the valve cover.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum