BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty K100 starting problem Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:34 am

flyingdogboy

HI Guys,

first off - congratulations on an excellent informative forum.

I have just picked a 1984 K100RT (non runner). The chap I bought it from said that his mate had looked at it and thought the ignition unit under the tank was faulty.

I have had a look at it and this is what I have done/found.
Cleaned all the earth points and changed the fuses
The starter will not turn over when pushing the start button
The fuel pump does not pressure up when the ignition switch on turned on
The fuel pump does work when the starter button is pressed.
If I earth the wire from the starter relay that goes up to the ignition unit plug the starter turns.
I pulled the lid off the starter relay and held the contacts together and the bike runs Laughing

Does this point towards the ignition unit or a wiring problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Geoff

2Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty Re: K100 starting problem Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
After a quick look at the electrical schematic, I believe that the problem could be a simple as a bad emergency shut off switch. (The red On/Off switch under the starter button)

3Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty Re: K100 starting problem Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:06 pm

flyingdogboy

I'll have a look at it. It is a bit dodgy as it only powers the bike up when flicked to the right (off position). However it does switch the power off and on. I'll have another look at it and report my findings.

Geoff

4Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty Re: K100 starting problem Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
In that case you should definitely follow the crazy amphibians hint :suspect: Very Happy

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

5Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty Re: K100 starting problem Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:08 am

flyingdogboy

Ok, I've done a bit more checking and I have switched power from the kill switch to pin 10 on the ignition unit and to the top fuse.
I also put a slave wire from the brown connector on the starter relay to earth. The starter motor works on the handlebar button now.
I still don't get the 2 second run on the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on. It does pump with the starter button pressed.
As the brown wire from the starter relay goes to the ignition unit, I am thinking that it is a defective unit. Would a defective ignition unit also cause the fuel pump not to pump for a couple of seconds when the ignition switch is turned on?

6Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty Re: K100 starting problem Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The fuel pump is running when you turn the ignition ON only on the 16 valves model. This doesn't apply to yours.

7Back to top Go down   K100 starting problem Empty Re: K100 starting problem Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 am

flyingdogboy

I get confused as I've had 5 BMW's over the years (all without electrical problems thank goodness). I think I'll source another ignition unit and give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum