BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:30 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
After months and months of lockdowns, I felt a serious need for riding far and long. So I escaped in the beginning of august for a 6 days journey, alone, to compensate the forced immobility of the past years.
No highways, no hotels, just a tent and stuff to sleep on the bike and friends to visit on the way.
Starting from Savoie, at the east of France, I crossed the country to the south, with a right line on the map but very twisty roads in real life.
First stop after 500kms in Belcastel, Aveyron, to camp under un nicely preserved medieval castle: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2199

Day 2:  To the south until I reach the Pyrenees, that I cross through the Aubisque and Pourtalet passes, with a funny fight against a Ducati Multistrada pilot, with much more horsepowers than I had but a donkey riding, unable to corner fast.
I calmed down after he refused priority to a sheep crossing.

Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2200
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2201
Once in Spain, I stop for the night in Jaca, after 450 km more, where I see for the first time these weird clouds, cumulus mammatus.Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2202

Day 3: I follow the Aragon river and reach a fantom town, Esco, probably abandoned when the dam lake drowned the fields of its inhabitants. Sad, but beautiful.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2203
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2204
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2205
Then, I reach Logroño and follow another river, the Ebro
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2206

But...a journey with no mechanichal tragedy is not a journey. Suddenly, the K75 engine refuses to rev more than 2000 rpm. The engine shokes if the throttle is wide open. The afternoon air is very hot , but the temperature gauge invalidate the hypothesis of vapor lock, and the cooling system is very efficient on the bike.
I had once this problem, it was a leak in the fuel line into the tank. So i go to the next town, searching an open bike garage. I found one, but never was allowed to get the bike into to search for the failure under shadow. Thanks mate...
So I settled in front of the shop, to share with him fuel fragrance and potential fire damage, to dismantle the fuel pump and found a tiny leak just after the fuel pump.
I bought half meter of new fuel line, fixed the failure, started again...but the problem remained the same. scratch
Then I decided to aim the nearest BMW shop, in Bilbao, on the north coast, 80km from there. Not very confident in their ability to solve the problem, but if I have to stop my journey there and go back home by plane, it will be more practical to come back to pick it up with a trailer.
So I hit the road again, reaching almost 70km/h on flat roads, and taking patiently my time at 20km/h in hills...
Then, the engine started to emit "pops", that made me suppose that it was another cause.
I suspected a faulty Hall sensor. So I stopped at the first welcoming place, with a very adequate name for a failure: Ungo.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2208
I'm a farseeing man: I had a spare Hall sensor with me. So I settled again, dismantling tank, radiator cover and front plate to change the sensor.
I'm a farseeing man BUT visually impaired. I noticed that, through the plasticpackaging, nothing looks more to a K's Hall sensor plate than an airhead starter brush plate.
Well. So I put the old -and only Hall sensor in place and reset my mind to the previous plan, to reach Bilbao.
But after I plugged the old sensor, I started again and the engine was reving up to the red line. Probleme solved. Bad connection? I shaked the electrical harness, once it works, once not. Then a more accute visual inspection revealed the real reason of the malfunction:

Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2207
Did it burn? No. No black dust, no burn evidence: the harness was very, very close to the radiator fan...Note that it only cut one copper wire, all the others were stripped down, but uncut.
A few centimeters of insulating tape later, everything is OK, adios Ungo, go! It's late, the first camp will be OK, only 380km today.

Day 4
Foggy morning. I'm not far from the ocean, and moisture had penetrated the land other the mountains during the night. Even farseeing, I can't ride, so I stop in a fuel station for a solid breakfast, waiting to be able to see something.
Then gradually, I can pass over the clouds on the hills
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2209
Luckily, mountains have holes at the top to drain the fog more easily, and local people have set giant fans to ventilate dry air. Or is it wind turbines?
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2211
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2210
I cross the Ojo Guarena natural park, spotted by the astonished gaze of local cattle that were persuaded that BMW never made GS with K's, to reach the Ebro river at its dam lake, on roads and tracks
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2213Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2221
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2214
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2212
My place is named Clermont, so when I see a signal indicating Montes Claros, i detour to see how it is there. Nice monastery, full of hippies meditating in lotus position, absolutely not concerned by the GS version of K.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2223
Then, I reach the Fuentes Carrionas y Fuente Cobre natural park, in the montañas Palentinas, to Triollo
Beautiful scenaries, the road follows the dam lake, cows and sheep are free so watch out!
In case of crash, eagles and vultures will take care of your remains. Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2217
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2215
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2216
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2218
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2220
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2219

Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2222
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2226
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2224

Exiting the park, next step is the unmissable spot in the area: Riaño.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2225
A version for those who don't like K75 nor GS: 
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2227
I can't get rid of this view. It's my 5 ou 6th visit there...

After direction the San Glorio pass through a green rock valley, a lichen colouring the rocks.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2228Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2229
At the top, a little trail allow to climb some more to pass on the other side and to watch the picos de Europa, the biggest summits.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2232
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2231
Then, I passed through Potes to the Desfiladero de la Hermida, a very pretty canyon with sharp rocks, and aims to east in very wild valleys. So wild that I had to search for 3 hours to find a place to sleep: all the campings ares overbooked. I could have camped into the wild, but with bears and wolves...and natives. Eventually I found a room in a creepy and intolerably expensive hotel. Bad ending, but what a day, 400km of pure hapiness!

Day 5.
I start at dawn, but the fog is there , again, until Santander.
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2233
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2234

Then i go to Gernika (the town that inspired Picasso its famous painting) and ride to the East along the shore, on very small and very, very twisty roads, inte eucalyptus forrests. Cloudy today, bad luck...
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2239
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2238

In San Sebastian, I quit the shore and come back to France to visit a friend, then takes the road to home until the Lot. Long day today I'm exhausted, 13 hours riding, 550kms on curly roads.
I found a camp, raise the tent at night.
Then I realize that I raised it at the wrong parcel, number 51 instead of 54.
I dismantle the tent, take it to the 54, raise the tent again.
I bring the bike from the 51 to the tent, then goes back to 51 to pick up the matress and sleeping bag.
Then I realize that the central stand sank in the sandy ground and the bike lies on the tent.
I lift the bike and raise the tent one more time.
I sleep...at least.

Day 6
Last stage , crossing France through the Massif Central with very high temperatures that made me pluge fully clothed in a stream to refresh a bit. 

Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2237
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2236
Haaaaaaaah! drunken 

I visit friends on the road, admire the BMW Magni that one had just purchased, then arrives at home after another 13h stage and 650 km more.

One day off, then I left again, with my wife, to visit the chateaux de la Loire, on a R1150RT. Ready for the Iron Butt Rallye!

2Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:18 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Many thanks for that. An enjoyable ten minutes out of my working day!

And I'm jealous. Did I say that? I'm jealous. Any long distance trip I want to do starts with an expensive ferry ride off the island.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
So let's swap our bikes. I'm dreaming of visiting Ireland again, by bike.
We fly to each other's home and borrow a motorcycle, that will spare the ferry...

4Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:46 am

Arlina

Arlina
You're doing well as adventurer and storyteller, I enjoyed it Cool Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:22 am

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
jbt wrote:So let's swap our bikes. I'm dreaming of visiting Ireland again, by bike.
We fly to each other's home and borrow a motorcycle, that will spare the ferry...

Would you like to see some of the US?

6Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:40 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Oh yes... visiting USA coast to coast , then backwards is still a project I'd like to make real in the coming years, before I'm too old for it. The Trans American Trail is teasing me...
My daughter is still too young to be let alone for months, but in the coming years, I think that I'll take a gap year to travel. I think that buying a bike on arrival then selling it when the journey is done is the best option.

7Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the ride report.  cheers I wish I could have joined you.  That's a great part of the world for traveling on two wheels.

8Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Triple B

Triple B
Great adventure and great photo's. 

Can't wait to get back to France again.

1977 Triumph T140V.

9Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:24 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Simply lovely JBT!  Thanks for sharing that.  Your 75GS looks very much at home in all those photos.   Very Happy

Cheers,  Woodie

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

10Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:17 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Enjoyed reading, good storyteller.
Even Pablo Ruiz Picasso was included.
Only thing I’m missing is pictures from your food :-)

Cheers

Today I made Tortilla, thinking about Spain
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS 42bbf610

11Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:15 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Well, this journey was not really about food or wine. First I scarcely drink alcohol, and strictly not a single drop when riding.
Then, most of the times, meals were reduced to a bocadillo quickly eaten. Sometimes tasty, never photogenic. It's about riding, not dining.
But eventually, I can't imagine being in that area and missing to enjoy a pulpo a la gallega...
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2098

12Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:23 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
The postman brought me this morning a nice improve for the K75GS...
Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Img_2249

13Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:48 am

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
jbt

thanks for the report
I've enjoyed it very much Very Happy 

and congrats on your purchase - Oehlins is great
(got a simpler version in my Eco)

Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS 9438-010

14Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:22 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, I promise you a much better report of my future test of an Ecomobil if I find someone who has one... Wink 

Ohlins is good stuff, sadly it does not fit my K75GS plug&play.
It's much more thick at its base than the OEM one and meets the caliper .
So 3 options:
- weld brackets at a remote position, so the caliper won't interfere. I'm a bad welder and not equipped to solder alloy.
- change the bevel cover for a K1200LT one, with brackets upside down. Its a part difficult to find...
- back to my initial option: use a R100GS bevel, with drum brakes. But it needs machining on the pinion to fit the drive shaft, and I'm not sure that the brake pedal will fit the paralever footpeg plate . Yet it would shorten the final drive ratio, too long, would be lighter, simplier, and more close to what BMW would have produced if...

15Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:20 am

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
jbt

I try to imagine what you mean, but I am not quite sure.
Could you please add a pic of the situation?

Do you happen to know the German forum www.flyingbrick.de ?
There are some incredible magicians who make seemingly impossible things just happen.
BTW there is somebody with a K75GS as well

16Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:33 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
No pic, I'm sorry, your imagination tricked you .
Sadly, I did not find one abandoned in a barn.
It just was a very subtle, subliminal attempt to make you invite me for a ride in your Ecomobil. Laughing

17Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:17 am

Thanks for sharing feels like I was there 😀

18Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:40 am

Jamie64

Jamie64
Silver member
Silver member
Wonderful read and i really do love that bike.

19Back to top Go down   Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Empty Re: Cordillera cantabrica with K75GS Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:35 am

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
jbt wrote:It just was a very subtle, subliminal attempt to make you invite me for a ride in your Ecomobil.
I am terribly sorry, jbt. I just did not get the hint.
It may have been too subtle for myself.

Of course you can have a ride in the back seat of my Eco, any time you come to Switzerland (just let me know before) or I ride through your area (I'll let you know in advance).
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Unfortunately, due to all those CoViD related restrictions, I do not plan any trips abroad for this year.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum