BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Heated grips Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:48 pm

daveyson

Life time member
Life time member
Your set up is pretty typical.

To me, second relay from the right reley means the first relay on the left, that's the fuel relay. It has five pins, the top middle (four pins) is the load shed relay. The top right (identical to lsr) is the horn relay. 

The fuel relay has green/red wires, not green/brown.

This reminds me, for years I only needed glasses for being short sighted. Years later it wasn't easy to tell a red or brown stripe on a wire, then it dawned on me once again - I'm getting old - there's another part of my body that's turning to shit.

52Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:17 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Probably not you daveyson - the red pigment used as a tracer on those wires fades to brown over the years. Another nasty is the blue tracer on the blue/green wires fading to green. If you ever take a righthand switch apart and find two green wires in it, treat it with utter contempt for trying to fool you Surprised

So... Mr. Jefferies is looking at the horn relay as only that has a green/brown on pin 30. A double-check is that it also has a green/brown wire on pin 86.

I see no reason why you can't use the alarm feed as a power/earth/control source. Your power feed is now red/yellow and you will be using fuse 5 for protection. The standard fuse is a 15 amp one, but I think I'd downgrade that to 10 amps. Like fuse 4, on an ex-factory bike there's nothing connected to fuse 5. Lastly, run the green/brown wire in the alarm connector to pin 85 of the new relay as the green/brown is also switched out by the load shed relay. The extra few milliamps required by the relay coil isn't going to upset fuse 7.

Everything in one place and not a soldering iron in sight. What's not to like about that? Very Happy

[Edit] The Thought Police have finally arrived. Getting male pins and sockets for the alarm connector is nearly impossible. I'd chop the alarm connector off and fit one of these instead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352655124145?epid=24022479825&hash=item521be226b1:g:avkAAOSwq4xcy9NB

And don't all shout at me at once. I can't help it if the seller wishes to befoul the product in the hope of selling more Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 652573

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

53Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Getting male pins and sockets for the alarm connector is nearly impossible. I'd chop the alarm connector off and fit one of these instead:
Instead, he could leave the OEM plug in all its feathered glory and tap into its wires with these.

54Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:58 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Well guys, thanks much. I'm thinking I'll fade softly away before anyone comes after me.  Wink  Temps here are now in the 70's (F)/22 (c) and heated handgrips are perhaps passe for a while. As closure I kinda lost it the other day and ripped the relay box out of my parts bike and am using a horn relay and its mount/socket to provide a heated hand grip relay in Silver. My decisions are based in part on gaining easy access to the necessary wiring. I'm thinking to energize the relay off the old heated grips connection (now being used to power a USB socket) and power and ground to come from the alarm system connector. These are all easy (relatively) to access and provide 15? amp power. My only questionable issue (I think) is that the new horn/heated hand grip  coil relay isn't that much of a pull on the old connection (USB port). All of this makes it easier than pulling apart one of the spade connectors as was suggested.

But one question that perhaps someone might answer to satisfy my curiosity. But what is/are the special equipment(s) that have a connector in the relay box? I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere but I've not seen it yet.

thanks and best regards
J.Jefferies

55Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:34 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
What would be connected to the round connecter?  Think special equipment that might be needed for certain kinds of motorcycles which are employed in keeping us all safe and law abiding - lol! Fancy lights, sound devices which will get your attention, radio equipment, etc.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

56Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:49 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Woodie wrote:What would be connected to the round connecter?  Think special equipment that might be needed for certain kinds of motorcycles which are employed in keeping us all safe and law abiding - lol! Fancy lights, sound devices which will get your attention, radio equipment, etc.
oh, them! Ok, thanks.

57Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:55 am

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
Tills - THE K-Cable

The connector for the Alarm socket can be found above. I have a few of these now on my k's, vey useful for extra devices.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

58Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:47 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks all, It's been an (interesting?) project! Took Silver out for a ride last night. Heated hand grips work fine. Well except that I used just 3 ohms for the step down resistor. But that can be remedied on short notice after I decide how warm I want the grips. I do confess I have some misgivings. Well I was using those fast fasteners and WAY to many connectors and the whole thing has quite a bit more wire than a factory job would entail and I wonder if having the resistor hanging out will be any issue, and if I lose fuse #1 or fuse #5 I will lose the heated grips. But hey they work and the bike didn't burn up.

Of course they're now ready for use just as the temps are heading into 80 F. temps. Rolling Eyes

Hey Ringfad, that connector looks like the cat's meow. It would have made things much more neat. Is there one for the special equipment that those other folks use?

59Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:55 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Ringfad wrote:Tills - THE K-Cable

The connector for the Alarm socket can be found above. I have a few of these now on my k's, vey useful for extra devices.
Looked good until I checked the shipping costs: 40 euros to the states. Yeech Rolling Eyes

60Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:03 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Just an FYI for anyone who might add stock heated hand grips. The 3ohm 40 watt resistor I used in the circuit to create the lower temp setting worked out right well. I've bee finding that riding with the grips set on low is rather pleasant at least in this 60 F weather we've been experiencing in the SF Bay area. The power take off from the special equipment socket works reasonably well.The one thing that irritates is that I allowed too much additional wire. Thought at the time was that it was needed. So there's excess in case I ever need to modify or redo the setup.

Oh, and as commented from Ringfad's post about the Tills - THE K-Cable, Ten euro's I'd be willing to spend to make it all look neater. But 60 euros was a wee much.

Best wishes
J.

61Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:30 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Ringfad wrote:Tills - THE K-Cable

As others have said the connector looks really neat. But the shipping charge of 40 euros puts it out of reach. I reached out to EME and asked if they might carry it. Their response:
Correct, this is a product that we do not stock or offer.
Unfortunately the price would be the same for us to import and then more expensive for us to offer reselling it.

Although it is nifty, using an existing terminal, you could fashion your own with some wire and a male / female plug changing the original plug to one that will accommodate your needs.
Electrical connector sets can easily be found on Amazon and are relatively inexpensive.

So I wonder who is the manufacturer or distributor.

62Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:17 am

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
I am not sure who makes it

@Dai might you know what the connector is called in the real world ?

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

63Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:48 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I don't. There's no part number or stamping anywhere on the female side. I could go looking though... Honestly, I'd just chop it off and fit something locally available. I prefer a shortcut that goes through a hedge... Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) - Page 2 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum