BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Change gauge cluster on 1985 H100RT Empty Change gauge cluster on 1985 H100RT Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Can I remove the gauge cluster on the 1985 K100rt without removing the fairing. It has the full touring fairing.

viney

Hey Richard
I just did this on my bike.... well actually had to remove the cluster to get the right hand compartment out to do some other work on my RT.
anyway there are 2 allen screws about 5mm holding the cluster onto the forks and while i would say it is possible to do it without removing anything..... you are working blind and is probably more an exercise in frustration than anything else. if you have small hands and can work by feel then you might be able to do it

but i found with my big hands it is far easier to remove the screen and dash pad thing so you can get at it from above where you have easy access to everything behind there. it only takes 5 mins to remove the screen so will probalby save you time in the end

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks viney
I finally took the wind screen and the dash support off and was then able to get to the back of the cluster. Mine had four allen screws holding it on. Got them off by feel and much wiggling of my hand. Got the cluster out and will now change the odometer for one that works.
Thanks for the input. I dread trying to get those allen screws started but you do what you gotta do.

viney

Yeah mate it's a fiddly job but it beats removing all of the fairing
just checking mate you said your speedo is not working. Did you clean the speedo sensor in the final drive unit at the back wheel? it is a problem with these bricks that the sensor often gets gunk on it and can stop the speedo from working
someone here recommended cleaning it every time you change the engine oil which seems like a good routine to me

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
The speedo worked OK. It was the odometer that did not work. I replaced the odometer and the gauge cluster is now ready to go back in.
You're right - it is a "fiddly" job. I would have yet another name for it but not on the forum. HaHa.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum