BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil pressure switch distinction  Empty Oil pressure switch distinction Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:23 pm

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
I ordered a replacement water/oil pump that came with the oil pressure sensor that has the large connector. My previous sensor was the more simple clip on variety. (see pictures below). Under the larger connector will I find a simple connector, or do I once again need to drain the oil to replace it?
Oil pressure switch distinction  OPS-642-0
Oil Pressure Switch - BMW Oilhead, K Bike; 12 61 1 277 642 / FAE

$10.99

Oil pressure switch distinction  OPS-512-0
Oil Pressure Switch - BMW K100; 12 61 7 568 480, 12 61 8 611 273, 12 61 7 620 512 / EnDuraLast

2Back to top Go down   Oil pressure switch distinction  Empty Re: Oil pressure switch distinction Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:17 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Before you mess with the sender you got, why not give the seller an opportunity to get the right one to you.  It should be fairly simple to exchange what you got for what you need. 

BTW, do you still have the original oil pressure sender?  Can you use it?

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
brianpen wrote:Under the larger connector will I find a simple connector, or do I once again need to drain the oil to replace it?
You will not find a simple connector under the larger one; you will need to buy a cable dedicated to the larger connector. Follow Point-Seven-five's suggestions before you go down the rabbit hole.

If draining oil becomes necessary, clean off the engine surfaces around the sensor opening, drain it into a clean container and pour it back into the engine when you're finished. You should be able to swap one sensor for the other and lose only few ounces if you're quick enough. Take on the challenge! You only live once; at least many folks seem to think so. Laughing  Keep paper towels and kitty litter ready for deployment.

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:
brianpen wrote:Under the larger connector will I find a simple connector, or do I once again need to drain the oil to replace it?
You will not find a simple connector under the larger one; you will need to buy a cable dedicated to the larger connector. Follow Point-Seven-five's suggestions before you go down the rabbit hole.

If draining oil becomes necessary, clean off the engine surfaces around the sensor opening, drain it into a clean container and pour it back into the engine when you're finished. You should be able to swap one sensor for the other and lose only few ounces if you're quick enough. Take on the challenge! You only live once; at least many folks seem to think so. Laughing  Keep paper towels and kitty litter ready for deployment.
Point taken. Thanks for the advice. But now I have to come to grips with only living once  Idea

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum