BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty hydraulic rear brake switch Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:36 pm

arbalest

Silver member
Silver member
Has anyone replaced the Rube Goldberg mechanical rear brake light switch with a hydraulic switch operated from the MC?

2Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty Re: hydraulic rear brake switch Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:58 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Not on the m/c, but a hydraulic switch on the rear caliper and also on the front m/c when the switch died on that - never had any problems with them, except for wires breaking off because I forced them through too tight a radius. Like you, I really don't like those plunger switches. When you wind the hydraulic switch into the caliper, make sure that the attached wiring 'rotates with it'. If you don't, you'll twist the wires inside the PVC tubing and that will break them at the point where they exit from the switch. You'll also need to solder extensions onto the wires because they aren't quite long enough.

Why didn't I just use a hydraulic switch on the rear m/c? I did - once. The m/c collects so much shit road dirt that the wires corroded through where they exit the switch in a matter of months. It looked like the PVC covering had hairline cracks in it, but I also put hands up and say that was probably one of those times when I pushed them through a bend that was too tight. YMMV depending on your local climate.

Actually, looking at your sig, you'd be in much the same dirty boat as me.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty hydraulic brake light switch Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:07 pm

arbalest

Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:Not on the m/c, but a hydraulic switch on the rear caliper and also on the front m/c when the switch died on that - never had any problems with them, except for wires breaking off because I forced them through too tight a radius. Like you, I really don't like those plunger switches. When you wind the hydraulic switch into the caliper, make sure that the attached wiring 'rotates with it'. If you don't, you'll twist the wires inside the PVC tubing and that will break them at the point where they exit from the switch. You'll also need to solder extensions onto the wires because they aren't quite long enough.

Why didn't I just use a hydraulic switch on the rear m/c? I did - once. The m/c collects so much shit road dirt that the wires corroded through where they exit the switch in a matter of months. It looked like the PVC covering had hairline cracks in it, but I also put hands up and say that was probably one of those times when I pushed them through a bend that was too tight. YMMV depending on your local climate.

Actually, looking at your sig, you'd be in much the same dirty boat as me.

What did you use for a switch? Link, p/n? Thanks

4Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty Re: hydraulic rear brake switch Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
arbalest wrote:Has anyone replaced the Rube Goldberg mechanical rear brake light switch with a hydraulic switch operated from the MC?
Yes, I did it many time, as these hydraulique switches are cheaper and much more reliable than mechanical switches. Now each time I overhaul a brake line, I change the switch.

5Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty hydraulic brake switch Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:55 am

arbalest

Silver member
Silver member
jbt wrote:
arbalest wrote:Has anyone replaced the Rube Goldberg mechanical rear brake light switch with a hydraulic switch operated from the MC?
Yes, I did it many time, as these hydraulique switches are cheaper and much more reliable than mechanical switches. Now each time I overhaul a brake line, I change the switch.
What switch do you use and how do you connect it to the caliper?

6Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty Re: hydraulic rear brake switch Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:26 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
I use this type of switch:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/131488464024
Don't order it, I did not check before if the thread, the lenght, the diameter is OK.
Note that this is design to fit a banjo type brake line. I usually swap OEM straight lines with this kind of connectors.
But if you want to keep the OEM lines, you can just interpose a T jonction to screw the hydraulic switch in anywhere.

BTW, thanks for the Rube Goldberg mention, I discovered his machineries!

7Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty hydraulic brake line switch Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:02 pm

arbalest

Silver member
Silver member
Aren't his machines wonderful?

Modedit; Try not to quote everything, it makes the topic unneccesary large.
             Use the [Post reply] button instead.

8Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty Re: hydraulic rear brake switch Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:22 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
So wonderful that I suspect BMW to get inspiration from them to design their actual motorcycles... hydraulic rear brake switch 652573

9Back to top Go down   hydraulic rear brake switch Empty Re: hydraulic rear brake switch Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:03 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Wasn't Herr Goldberg head of suspension and electronic doodad engineering at BMW?

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content