BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tomk

There has been much written about the issues of spline wear and lubrication on this forum, all very helpful. My question is slightly different. I am concerned about the fit of the Front of the Driveshaft to the output of the Transmission which is fitted on the shaft with a locking ring. My observation and question is as follows.

The "fit" of these two pieces seems to be excessively loose, by my estimate > 0.075" movement from side to side. I observe this by rocking the back end of the yoke. I bought another used shaft and it fits exactly the same way. My shaft splines on the transmission could be worn or both of my drive shafts are worn or this is just normal?

Any opinions on whether this is normal or if I should plan to work on a tighter fit would be much appreciated.

BTW, New to the site and the info here is invaluable

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
I would not be too concerned as the front of the driveshaft is located by the clip as you know and does not move on the splines like the rear one. Just grease it up, with the recommended grease, ie either the Honda grease or the genuine BMW grease and refit.

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Tomk I have never heard of an output shaft to tailshaft failing certainly I have had the clutch/ input and the final drive to tailshaft fail but have never heard of those splines failing. I've been rumbling around these sites since about 1998 and dont recall any. Anyone else??? Keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

tomk

thanks for the words, I am not so concerned about a failure since there is plenty of material,but I am concerned about vibrations coming from the loose fit. The consensus seems to be to put it back together since the fit I am observing is "normal" I did replace the rear main seal,alternato seal, clutch, swing arm bearings, and pivot points and shock bushings. Hopefully this old bird will be a bit more planted on the road when I set off in a few more days

thanks again.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum