BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Fuel pump substitution Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Doc5440

Hi everyone!
As I stated in my introduction, when I bought my 1985 K100RT, it had a dead fuel pump. I found that the Ford (late 80's Taurus I think) fuel pump will work. For those of you in the US, the NAPA part number is 2P74095 and the Advance Auto part number is E-2042. The ford pump has a smaller diameter than the BMW so it is recommended to build a 'spacer' with an oversized fuel line. I could not find big fuel lines like that so I used the gaskets that came with it and wrapped the fuel pump with then. I then jammed that whole thing into the fuel pump holder in the tank. I also used the fuel pump screen that came with the new pump. If you rotate the pump right, you can get it positioned into the metal pump holder thingi in the tank. You also have to change the leads on the wires in the tank.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions. My bike is in pieces at the moment for repainting so I could send pictures if you needed them.

2Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Admin

Admin
admin
admin
Yes Doc we will be interested to see pictures of the installation. Even if your description is pretty good, a picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks a lot for the info.

On the same note, the fuel filter from a 1996 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L works on K bikes. It's bigger than the original BMW, but as the same flow and pressure rating.

See the installation pictures at: Fuel Filter Installation

Bert

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com

3Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:16 pm

Damun

Doc, Congrats on your fuel pump shim job.

For those of us who eventually go for the NAPA pum - was $80 but who knows now...

Laughing Here are pics of a solution that held up over time: http://www.mychamp.com/K100/4/

Evil or Very Mad Here are pics of one that did not hold up: http://www.mychamp.com/K100/3/

Sorry I don't know how to activte links on this list. You'll have to cut and paste.

Damun Gracenin
1983 K100 RS

4Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Doc5440

Hey Damun,

I used the fuel filter that came with the NAPA part. I just had to make sure that it was pointed towards the 'large' area under the metal supports in the tank where the snap rings goes. But the way you did the solution that work is brilliant! Why didn't I think of fuel resistant faom and reuse the pump housing???

Doc

5Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:00 am

Gezar

I have gone with a larger pump then that one, cost me a bit more, but Ill post photos when I finally get it mounted. I have since ran into more headaches after headaches, I currently have a throttle issue, wrong cords, wrong mounts, enough wrong to make me visit my local bmw shop, nice place, but thanks to this thread, I didnt feel bad about having a bad pump myself Smile.
phil

6Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:48 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
The fuel pump from a Peugeot 1.6GTi seems to be an exact match and works well Wink

7Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 pm

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
where do you get those Gti pumps? are they any cheaper? i found a chinese substitute here in poland - it costs $60 but i do not know if it's worth the money (meaning if it's worth the risk).

8Back to top Go down   Fuel pump substitution Empty Re: Fuel pump substitution Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
@pajonk - I found the pump on eBay UK and went purely by the picture of it as it looked identical to the standard pump. I only looked at the Bosch Part number prior to fitting it today. The part number wasn't an exact match and this pump had a filter fitted on the base - am guessing that is the only difference between our K100 pump and the Peugeot one. It fits and works correctly - I chose to remove the fitted filter and use my existing filter but am sure it would work equally as well either way. I paid £59.99 for it and it was brand new/unused/old stock in a sealed box. I hope this might help you Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum