BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 am

walker

Silver member
Silver member
After looking back at my initial intro & reading a bit more of the FAQ & postings by Bert, I thought I should do this.
I am from Savannah Georgia USA.
I want to give a huge Thank You to Bert and the forum as a whole. This has been my go to for what knowledge I have regarding my K100RS.
Also KBike I see that I did not respond to your question in my original intro. Sorry.
I purchased my K from the widow of a friend who was like a brother to me. It had been spirited away by a relative, abused then left out in the weather for about a year. My buddy had taken out a mailbox using a combo of his head and the left mirror. The bike was dirty,dead and had about a gallon of extra oil in the motor and a few dozen other issues.
I spent about 40 hours cleaning connections, doing the fluids, straightening the tail etc. & then gave my first post here. I didn't know where to start before finding this forum and all the great info here.
I have owned bikes since I was 12, had a 12 year hiatus from riding then started back with old HD's in the mid 90's. I've owned a lot of very different bikes and spent the 3 years prior to buying my K doing only closed circuit riding.
Being prone to giving TMI or ramblings that only have meaning to myself, I refrain from posting often (besides that my typing skills would make a chimpanzee proud)
Anyway this bike has been a mixed experience for me. It feels great at 85 on an interstate and handles very nicely when it is right. It is the heaviest bike I've owned and has given me problems in maintenence that I've never run into before. Most have been worked out though and she seems like a tank, tough and heavy.
I ride it to work on most days unless I know there is rain or I have to carry materials to a job. I was on the way into work in the pitch dark when a black pig appeared out of the shadow heading straight at my front wheel at a dead run. A K bike Will do a stoppy.lol ABS isn't functional. I am still chipping away at repairs but haven't wanted to stopped riding right now with gas cost for the suburban.
A couple of things learned are that K1100 parts through 96 are mostly interchangeable. Exhaust, front forks, peg brackets and valve cover swap directly.
Sorry for the long narrative and Thanks again for all the help this forum has been.
Harry

2Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Re: Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Always great to have more guys from North America on the board and great to hear you're using her for daily duty Harry! Cool

OG

3Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Re: Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:37 am

walker

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks OG

4Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Re: Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:46 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice intro walker, sure you will enjoy the bike they grow on you I always with I had found mine sooner, take care.

BIG D

5Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Re: Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:45 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great intro walker ....welcome mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Re: Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:18 pm

It's good to hear the various stories people have in attempting to resurrect their old beastie K bike, and of how a lot of them hook up with the forum and just have a slow troll through not saying much (in comparo to some chin wags like me and others, not slack jaw at all) and just pick up what they need as regards how to go about the requisite fix and get the job done. Thanks for sharing it with us, Walker. I'm glad you're on two wheels of the K Bike kind. You could change your name to Rider now? Cheers!

7Back to top Go down   Reintroduction Empty Re: Reintroduction Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:54 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good on you Harry,
Interesting story, keep them coming.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum