BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I have been wondering if the tyre companies use different tyre compounds for different countries/climates.
Reading some threads, it seems that some members get a lot more mileage from their tyres, especially in the warmer climates. Harder compounds for higher temperatures and softer for colder in order for the tyres to reach the correct operating temperature.
Has anyone any insider information on the possibility of this?
Or is the only way to get 10 or 12 thousand miles from a set of tyres to ride like an old lady? Laughing

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Hey ComberJ. Not sure about the different climates and rubber compounds for them. But apart from the temp' it may have a lot to do with the road surface as well. In NZ the South Island is known to be harsh on bike tyres. Most of our roads are chip-seal and the rock used in the South Island is different from that in the North Island. This may also be due to the better condition generally of the roads in the South due to less traffic volumes, hence less flushing or smooth patches. I guess there are lots of variables to take into account.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I live in the southeast corner of Queensland in Oz the road temps are high for all but 3 months of the year and I am lucky if I get 8000k out of a rear tyre and maybe 12000 from the front.
Others I know in the southern states where the temps are higher in summer and lower in winter have no more success than I do. I do occasionally hear some outrareous claims of 25,000k but I think their odo works double time.
I really don't think that the compounds are different for the same tyres from country to country but the road surfaces vary widely. There is one stretch of tyisty road near me that really tears away the tread, if I ride it both ways in a weekend then I can see the scuffing on the tyres but another that is similar but not the same material and much genteler on the tyres.
What we must never forget is that the more tyres sold the more money the manufacturers make.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum