BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:02 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I am getting all the bits ready to get them sprayed up has anyone managed to take the door off the Panniers, as in remove it keeping the hinge intact? any hints would be appreciated Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I use a piece of hardwood and a hammer, on the inner end of the hinge(s).

Inge K.

3Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi twincarb

yes its an easy process ....there are two plastic halves that slide into the hinge ....

the hinge itself is cliped on each half of the underside of the panieers

it slides off from the middle out to the edge .

there are a two small holes in the hinge propper that bind onto two small raises in the plastic on each side of the panieer halves (top and base)

a small screwdriver is helpfull to push in to the centre of the hinge to raise the plastic and clear those retainers ..once in there you can slide the hinge out along the hinge line towards either the front of rear ..

does that help ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
all sorted now Very Happy TY ... mind you i am not sure why i didnt think about getting the hammer out it's normally within easy reach lol

I must admit i thought they may have been glued in in some way but guess the little hooks hold it tight enough Very Happy

Took all of 30secs to remove them both, another 2 bits to sand down ready to take to the spray shop. Very Happy

Side Case splitting... 169042Side Case splitting... 169034

5Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Replacement hinges are available and cheap enough if it comes to that.

6Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Last year I tipped over fully-packed 20 kilometres from nowhere in some remote, red, slippery Camooweal Queensland mud after a night of thunder and bucketing rain, and broke a hinge. The extended 'slot' it slides on to also came away from the pannier. So I drilled two pilot holes and carefully glued the piece back onto the pannier then secured it with two countersunk screws so it was flush. With a new hinge in place (I carry two spares, always, 46 54 2 300 039) the pannier and lid have been good to go ever since.

Side Case splitting... Camoow10It looks safe enough 'til you feel the bike going away under you and no amount of throttle correction or feet-down paddling will do.
Side Case splitting... Mudsli10
The pannier hinge and 'slot' have come away. Super glue and a good screw is your friend.

7Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:38 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
lol all the time you keep the spares on the bike you will never need them! Wink But thats the way it go's i guess.

How much movement can be expected on the cases when they are fitted? I only ask because mine seem to have a bit of movement, I have just replaced the Z frame they fit on because the old one's had worn down a fair bit, am wondering if the case's may be overly worn as well...

8Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Glue some rubber bits on the frame(s) where the movement is, or it`s soon gets worse due to vibrations.

Inge K.

9Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i noticed the same twin carb ....so i got a couple of spares from britain on our last group buy .....it certainly helped by about a couple of mm

i also removed the crumbling rubber and relined the seal around the lid with vidiflex (soft silicone type rubber tubing 5mm)

and ripped out the corrigated plastic on the inner seal area ....replaced it with 20mm x 3mm flat aluminium , rivetted in place around 3/4 of the inner liner

same issue on the frame lock ......but i got some thick rubber (thong /jandal/flipflop) and made up a small block and glued it to the frame lock finger, about a centimetre squared (um cubed ) ....the vibrations and rattling have ceased .

hope this helps

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
yeah they are the sort of mod's that i like the sound of, I was thinking about removing the inner plastic before i took the outers to be sprayed, and was going to take it from there.

I think I can agree that replacing the arms has helped, and a block of rubber would do the trick on the lower mount.

I have just printed off the parts that should be connected to the bike so i can figure out what little bits are missing, there seem to be several at the moment! But thats the problem when your owner 12 of a machine lol

11Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the inner ridge of the inner halves was badly damaged ....i guess time and bad handling caused this .

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize
Side Case splitting... Pictur31

i have bent up some 25 mm strip aluminium and riped out the corrogated plastic and replaced it .

a few rivets in the right places , and some vidiflex ...(trade name for round rubber tubing ) was fitted as a seal round the new inner bracket and rest of the inner .

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize
Side Case splitting... Pictur32
still have to do the elastic inner straps ..and find some new buckles ..but thats for another time .

im chuffed ...no water leaks even durring torential rain on the way home from our meet at urunga .

12Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:23 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
aghhh in work at the moment and i cant see the images on the company machines Sad will have a look in the morning when i get home....

I think that one of my case's leaks but i havent had a chance to look into it yet, once it returns from the respray and i am putting them back together i will take a propper look..

I was wondering if there is a kit to allow a replacement top box to be fitted? the PO had just fitted 2 extra long bolts but it wasnt really secure, i was thinking about making a custom bracket for it....

13Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Life time member
Life time member
"and ripped out the corrigated plastic on the inner seal area ....replaced it with 20mm x 3mm flat aluminium , rivetted in place around 3/4 of the inner liner "

That's a neat job Charlie99 - I know what I'll be doing with mine now! Thanks.

14Back to top Go down   Side Case splitting... Empty Re: Side Case splitting... Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:19 am

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Used this old thread to get to Inge's comment on removing the hinges at the bottom of the side cases. Spent 45 minutes trying to pry, slide, move the hinge over the top of the small protrusion. I then went to the forum and found this thread with Inge's note to use a hammer and piece of wood. Done deal in seconds.
Thanks to the forum for continuing to supply pertinent and timely information.
Shep

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum