BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty My new (new to me) motor! Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 am

Life time member
Life time member
My new (new to me) motor! K100lt15

Well that was how I bought it. 76.5k on the clock and change out of a grand (euro).

The first thing I bought was an original tool kit/roll. €46 off ebay.co.uk, next a battery €60 ( I discovered the one in my ride on lawnmower was a pefect fit!).

Then a full service buy a good local enthusiastic mechanic.

It rides very well and just a few cosmetics to sort over the winter.

Then I tackled the screen, which really let the appearance down (still does a bit)..

Before....very yellow...

My new (new to me) motor! Img_0112

Then after...a bit better but needs a polishing machine...

My new (new to me) motor! Img_0113

2Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:52 am

Life time member
Life time member
Here are some close ups of the paintwork that needs to be tidied....

My new (new to me) motor! Img_0114

url=https://servimg.com/view/16818459/14]My new (new to me) motor! Img_0115[/url]

Crack in fairing...

My new (new to me) motor! Img_0116

all told the bike is mechanically very good so it should be a nice project to do a light renovation.

A few other areas that need attention Pannier latches and locks (side bags pretty good) Top box needs a new barrell or the barrel keyed.

The fuel tank lock spins like a top and is a bit annoying.

The radio cover latches are Fubar.

The hazard warning switch doesn't work.

All told not too much 'cept elbow grease needed Smile

3Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
meer minor blemishes ......giggles ....

whoa what a price !!!! ....

nice buy 88 !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:57 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
A nice looking bike to start out with.
When you've finished with it, it'll look great!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:40 am

Life time member
Life time member
blakey wrote:A nice looking bike to start out with.
When you've finished with it, it'll look great!

Hope so BlakeyMy new (new to me) motor! 112350

6Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:09 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Nice bike, you should consider repainting it red, I hear it doesn't crack so easy.
RT

7Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Life time member
Life time member
RT wrote:Nice bike, you should consider repainting it red, I hear it doesn't crack so easy.
RT

Apparently red attracts wombats, RT and I wouldn't want to start an epidemic of strange alien creatures in this ancient land Twisted Evil

88ke......LOL

8Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Very good nick there 88KE. I got hold of a second hand Hazard switch (some call it a four way flasher on here) and it didn't work, managed to take it apart and with lots of patients and a soldering iron and "deoxit" managed to get it all working again.
Drilled out rivets in very loose pannier locks (flat ones) and used screw and nut with grub washer. Just some ideas for ya! :-)

9Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:43 am

Life time member
Life time member
geordnz wrote:Very good nick there 88KE. I got hold of a second hand Hazard switch (some call it a four way flasher on here) and it didn't work, managed to take it apart and with lots of patients and a soldering iron and "deoxit" managed to get it all working again.
Drilled out rivets in very loose pannier locks (flat ones) and used screw and nut with grub washer. Just some ideas for ya! :-)

Kia Ora geordnz. Thanks for the tips. Luckily all of the flat pannier locks are in A1 condition and I just found the Key:cheers: !

The hazard swith is there but the connector/wires are A.W.O.L. I'm going to wait till I have the fairing off to see exactly how much loom is missing.

88KE

10Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Kia Ora to you as well, Where are you over there? My mother is from Cork City

11Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Co. Wexford - I have a fondness for NZ though, my godson is in Wellington and lots of rellies from Auckland to Christchurch. I've been fortunate enough to visit both Islands.
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

12Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:14 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Excellent. Well next time you are over here and feel the need for a ride, I'm in Tauranga. Geordnz

13Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:32 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Not a bad buy there 88 lots of potential will keep you busy over the winter.

BIG D

14Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Life time member
Life time member
geordnz wrote:Excellent. Well next time you are over here and feel the need for a ride, I'm in Tauranga. Geordnz

Wow - lovely part of the world you live in. I'm hoping to get there in 2014 when my son is old enough to travel with me but I expect I'll be on 4 wheels!
88KE

15Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice looking machine 88! Very elegant color and if you get her dialed in without any of the larger "gotchas" rearing their ugly heads a real steal indeed! Cool

OG

16Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Oldgoat wrote:Nice looking machine 88! Very elegant color and if you get her dialed in without any of the larger "gotchas" rearing their ugly heads a real steal indeed! Cool

OG

So far so good OG. I've put about 800k on it since getting it serviced and it "does what it sez on the tin" My new (new to me) motor! 112350

17Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Life time member
Life time member
An update on the screen...my local Lidl store had air powered mini sander/polishers with adjustable for €40 so I could't resist. Stupidly the didn't have disc or pads on sale with them. I tried all the local motor factors and hardware merchants and eventually bought some thick micro fibre cloths in a local store for €2! I cut them to fit and using Farcela G3 compound which I got from my father set to work. I polished the screen about three times on each side constantly changing the cloth and using only a very small amount of compound until I was happy that the screen was as good and clear as I could get it for a 24 yr old piece of plastic..

the above before picture was tken in the dark using only flash, here's the after taken exactly the same way...

url=https://servimg.com/view/16818459/19]My new (new to me) motor! Iphone12[/url]

and in daylight...just a little yellow which has gone through...

url=https://servimg.com/view/16818459/20]My new (new to me) motor! Iphone13[/url]

I have probably spent 1/3 the cost of a new screen trying to polish up this one but I like the original shape.

My good mate Paul, in whose garage the machine is stored, thought I'd got a good seconhand so dramatic is the difference in reality.

88KE

18Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:30 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well done mate that's inspired me I was going to throw my old one out but
as you said, I like the shape and lip. Just another job to attend to.
RT

19Back to top Go down   My new (new to me) motor! Empty Re: My new (new to me) motor! Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Life time member
Life time member
If your going to do it RT. Get a good polisher on hand first. Don't waste time trying it by hand like I did. I gave it a good go of 800 grit. Followed by 1200. Followed by 1500 all used wet. I've seen some advise 600 followed by800 then 1000 then 1200. Don't be afraid to try the more aggressive grades first - I was and it took me longer. This stuffs pretty tough as long as you don't go hard enough to cause heat damage you'll be ok. Give it a go for sure. 88KE.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum