BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Top box lock - rekeying. Empty Top box lock - rekeying. Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 am

Life time member
Life time member
I was beeped several times in traffic yesterday as my top box lid had opened.

I've read a thread about rekeying the barrell of the lock but damned if I can find it again searching the forum on Locks, barrell, locksmith, key etc, etc. I guess the search only works on the title not the content of the thread.

Anyway. With the bike I was given a top lock with a barrell that doesnt match any of the keys I got. So having read a thread I know this can be re keyed to the ignition key and can be done DIY. I have the lock out of the box but getting the barrell out is proving tricky.

I tried pushing in a pin (looks like brass) through the hole pointed by pen....

Top box lock - rekeying. Img_0117

but this only allowed it to move about 4 mm forward and refuses to travel further.

Can anyone advise on how to get it apart?

88KE

2Back to top Go down   Top box lock - rekeying. Empty Re: Top box lock - rekeying. Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
88KE, have a look here and zip down the page to find out how to re-key the locks on your top box. It may be of some help.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Top box lock - rekeying. Empty Re: Top box lock - rekeying. Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:08 am

Life time member
Life time member
Jeez - you're on the ball this morning (evening where you are, I guess) Blakey,

Thanks

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   Top box lock - rekeying. Empty Re: Top box lock - rekeying. Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Having tried all of the advice on the link posted by Blakey - I still cannot extract the barrell. Is it possible someone put it in 180 degrees wrong way 'round or is it that the key I'm inserting doesn't belong to the barrel that's stopping it from coming out all the way....off to the locksmiths I guess if I can't dismantle it myself.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

5Back to top Go down   Top box lock - rekeying. Empty Re: Top box lock - rekeying. Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Just to update/close off the thread. The local locksmith rekeyed the barrell and told me there was something broken in it which is why I couldnt get it apart myself. €10 was all he charged for his services and it's now installed so no more flipping open on the road Smile

K75RTP - 1994

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum