BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Hot Grip wires Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Have got some hot grips I want to install for Winter. From the grips, the wires meet via two blocked connectors. Another blocked connector joins the thermostatic switch to the loom at the same point. The wires resolve into a fused red wire, and a ringed earth in black. What is the best way to connect to the K75 loom? Should I use the existing connectors under the tank in some way? Is a relay the best way to go? If so, how do I do that? I'm OK doing most stuff, but I hate electrics! I've read various posts, but I think I need an "Idiots Guide'! Will try and get some photos up if I can work out how to......

2Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:51 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Here's a good link! Not specific to K's, but the info will translate.
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html
Wow, I replied to myself!! I must have learnt something! Cool.

3Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah Hu sitting in the corner mumbling into his beard and talking to himself a sure sigh of owning a K Laughing

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:34 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Hot Grip wires 44271

been doing it for years .......its the only way im sure to get the right answer !!!!

cheer up boog ...we're all good at something

heres an idea ....get as much as you can done by your self ....take some photos and then ...we can help with the tricky bits .....huh ?

5Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:44 am

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
So far, so good! New (2nd hand!) heated grips on. Switch mounted. Both grips routed to switch, then out of switch, under tank. and nestling next to the under-seat toolbox! I have two wires : a black earth with a ring on it, and a fused red, the end of which has been cut. Earth is easy to sort out. What's best for the red at this stage? Am I right in thinking the Headlight and load shedding relay are one and the same? Does this mean that if I soldered the fused red wire to the rear light wire, this would be an appropriate way to connect? The headlight relay would then act for the grips also?

6Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:00 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
boog ...if you follow the cables to the accessiories socket (usually on top of the ignition coils ) that wire is fused and takes off the f1 relay (so it will be switched off durring start and kill switch ) that positive cable would be a good thing to wire too .

hope this helps

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
I like the cut of your Jibb, Charlie! Good shout. I think I'll do that.

8Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Charlie have an good suggestion, but in my opinion this is an easier way:

In the relay box you allready got a connector for extra euqipment (round, black, 5 pole).
On that one you got a 1,5mm2 red and yellow wire that is protected via fuse #5.
There you can connect directly in the female connector, which have a standard diameter.
(not quite shure if this connector was male or female, to many years since.........)

This circuit is unswitched, don`t forget to turn off your grips when parking.

Inge K.

Last edited by Inge K. on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding info.)

9Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes i agree inge ... i had looked there also as a suitable location .... to some folks, a wire is easy to find ....and thought that it would be ... erm.... less complicated

cheers brother !!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Charlie, about the power socket connection, it`s using fuse #4.

But it`s not routed via kill switch or any relay, but the same circuit is the power feed (terminal 30)
to various relays and ignition switch before the fuse.

At least it is like this in the various diagrams I got (BMW own among them), but it could be that they not cover all models/markets.

Inge K.

11Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:40 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
youre right inge ....i was following berts fuse layout ..which more or less indicates that the stop light ...bulb monitoring unit and the accesories socket comes off fuse 1 .... reveiwing my assumption..... its not load shed protected ....doh !!!
i was thinking of one that comes off the load shed relay which would make that fuse 7 instead ? .... maybe im still confused
your suggestion is a good one for the takeoff location all the same .

12Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You probably mixed it with connector for additional instruments or special eqipment, not a bad choice since the genuine heated grips
is connected at the same circuit.

The power socket isn`t included in Bert`s diagrams.

Inge K.

13Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:38 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
So I solder a female connector to the red fused wire from the grip switch and connect it straight onto the relay which has the red and yellow wire attached to it (in the relay box under the tank?)?
Does that sound right?

14Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The red and yellow wire goes to a round, black, 5 pole connector not a relay.

if you want to have it connected through the load shedding relay, you can use green and black wire (almost Charlie`s suggestion) in the same connector.

The red and yellow is a heavier gauge wire, and no other loads in this fuse circuit (unless other equipment or anti thieft alarm allready fitted).

Inge K.

15Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you want to have it connected via the load shedding relay, the easiest way would be to use the genuine connector for heated grips.
Under the tank, left side, green and black wire, then you also have the main ground point in the same area.

Inge K.

16Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye ...sounds good to me ...!

17Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I`ve posted genuine wiring layout in this thread, so you know where to look for heated grips main connector.

Inge K.

18Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:39 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Hot Grip wires Under-10

from the forum here ...this should help

19Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Great! I was just looking for that. Is there a schematic for K75's up here at all?

20Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:46 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i shouldnt think there would be a great difference .....but i havent seen one before ...still a newb i am

21Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Charlie is correct, only small differences.....
Diagrams can be found here.

Inge K.

22Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:11 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Nice! You guys rock!

23Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
All done! Grips work OK. Took the live off the green and black wire which feeds into the round black 5 pot connector. Took it for a run around the block and they seem to be heating up OK. I did notice the battery light very slightly glowing at low revs. If I turned the grips off, the charging light goes out all together. Didn't seem to occur at higher revs. Normal?

24Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:55 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah normal ......same happens with the headlight ?

25Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Like Charlie says, quite normal and nothing to worry about.

I also did get a bit worried when I noticed the same, when I installed heated grips on mine 24 years ago, until I measured the charging.

The reason is that the grips causes a small voltage drop, and is connected in the same circuit (green/black)
as the charging warning light.

If you find it disturbing, a fix for this you can find here.

Hot Grip wires 20081110

Inge K.

26Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:27 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Is it poss to make the grips warmer? They are fairly good, but I reckon they could be a bit toastier maybe?

27Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Three steps to warmer hands:

1. Buy a pair with better heating elements.
2. Buy a pair of electrically heated gloves.
3. Click.

No, since heated grips normally runs direct coupled without resistance on full power,
it`s no easy fix for this AFAIK.

Inge K.

28Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Life time member
Life time member
BooG wrote:All done! Grips work OK. . Normal?

So what are they like to ride with...for those of us with thick gloves? Wink Are they a worthwhile upgrade?

88KE

29Back to top Go down   Hot Grip wires Empty Re: Hot Grip wires Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:28 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Normally, in the high position, they get quite warm!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Hot Grip wires Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum