BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Worn front tire Fri 14 Mar 2008, 04:31

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The front tire (Bridgestone Spitfire) of the K100 was prematurely worn and I had no choice than buying a new one.

I rode the bike with the tire underinflated and as a result the profile became triangular with no rubber on the side but still in very good shape in the center.
Usually when you replace a tire, the center part is worn, but the sides are still good.
Do you have an explanation?

Think for a minute or two then check the answer at the bottom of this post.

Thinking………

Thinking………

Thinking………

OK, here is the answer:

The Bridgestone Spitfire is a dual compound tire.
The rubber on the center part is harder than the soft sides. (You want a very good grip when you are riding on a curve).
Being under inflated, the soft sides were constantly in contact with the road and as a result, were wearing a lot faster than the harder center part.
Even after readjusting the air pressure, the tire had developed a bad wearing pattern and it was too late.

As a note, I am a slow rider (ride at posted speed limit or 10km/h over) and I use the Bridgestone Spitfire for years. I never had any complain and like it.

The Spitfire has a nice round profile and it makes the bike very light in curves.

What type of tires are you using?

2Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Re: Worn front tire Sat 12 Apr 2008, 09:07

Colin Howe

Colin Howe
Hi there.
My K100RS had Metzeler tires on when I bought it but I found riding over lane markings an unpleasant experience. The back wheel would squirm around as though it was going to break traction. I had a chat with my local tire fitter and he contacted his Pirelli supplier who suggested Sport Demons 110/80-18 front and an oversize 140/80-17 rear. This has worked really well and the handling inspires real confidence especially as I also fitted an Ohlin rear shock and progressive fork springs. Very Happy

3Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Re: Worn front tire Sat 12 Apr 2008, 18:53

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
I find that my Metzelers work much better at higher pressures. That way you won't feel the squirm. Mine are at 34psi. Don't worry they still stick. I just wore the nipples off a new set of 'em last weekend! Right up the edge!! Very Happy

4Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Re: Worn front tire Mon 23 Feb 2009, 22:15

harrowbmw

Greetings all.

Now don't think me insane, but if you can "try" out a K100 with 90/90/18 on the front and a 120/90/17 on the rear, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia

5Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Re: Worn front tire Mon 23 Feb 2009, 23:18

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi There,
I had a Dunlop Sportmax 120/70 17 on the front but found it too hard (it was an old tyre with lots of tread but hard. I looked around and finally selected the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT which is biassed toward wet grip. My rear tyre is a Metzler 160/60 Roadtec Z6. I cannot say I have ever noticed squirmy ride on white lines with either of these two combinations. I do remember when I had a Honda 400 4 with Bridgestone tyres friend persuaded me to change them for Avon but they were crap not a patch on the Bridgestone for grip and were demons for tramlining when riding along a white line not pleasant. I dumped them and went back to the oe Bridgestone.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Re: Worn front tire Tue 24 Feb 2009, 00:42

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I am currently running Michelin Macadams front and rear and they seem to do the job with no signs of uneven wear. They are regarded (by Michelin) as a middle of the range tyre and I can't comment on their wet weather performance yet.

Front is definitely better than the Metzeler lasertec that was on it when I got it. I was using that tread pattern twenty years ago and it was not that flash then. Uneven wear off the centre blocks and prone to "tramlining"

What I have noticed is that the same tyres don't seem to be available world wide and I have even seen mention of tyres being difficult to get for the early K's but that is not the case here.

Paul, what improvement do you notice with the smaller tyres as I would not say our early models are huge in comparison to the current crop and it appears K-Bike's "RS" uses substantially bigger rubber and lower profile than earlier models. I am trying to remember what my R100 used to wear but in those days it was inches Very Happy

Regards,

Phil

7Back to top Go down   Worn front tire Empty Re: Worn front tire Mon 24 Aug 2009, 23:40

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
G'day all, I'm new to the K100 / bmw bikes, well, had it a year now....I'm due for a new set of tyres on my '88 k100RT, the tyres on it when I picked it up are Michelin Macadams. I too get the wiggles over line markings with them. But for mileage, I've got 21,000klm out of the rear, which aint bad at all. At the risk of opening up a can of worms, anyone got some good tyre recommendations, that have better feel, but could do those Klm's? I travel to work most days, via freeway driving, 180klm round trip. Any comments on Metzeler Marathons 88 or Dunlop 205's (only others I've looked at so far)
cheers,
Andy.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum