BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   alternator noise Empty alternator noise Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Is it common for the alternator on a K100 RS 1984 to "rumble"?

If this IS the source of the noise I have been hearing, is there a solution - like changing the shock absorber rubbers?

None of this may be accurate, so any advice welcome.

Regards to all,
Neal

2Back to top Go down   alternator noise Empty Re: alternator noise Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Neal, my '84 RT has no noise from the alternator but I had it overhauled recently and it required two new bearings one of which was quite expensive and while I had it out I put new rubbers in as a matter of course to try and fix the "normal" noise at idle when cold.

It is relatively easy to remove but use a socket head allen key as the inside allen bolt is quite difficult to get at and if tight like mine you need to get a good purchase on it. You need to remove the starter to get good access.

Regards,

Phil

3Back to top Go down   alternator noise Empty Re: alternator noise Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 am

Thanks Phil, I'll bear that in mind and see how she goes when she is running properly. I have hardly touched the project in a while. I appreciate your respnse and will post what I find when I look into it further.
Regards,
Neal

4Back to top Go down   alternator noise Empty Re: alternator noise Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Neal,
I am sure you are way ahead of me but just in case it is worth saying with all socket head screws and bolts it is important to clear out the socket in case it has a layer of crud in the bottom which could lead to the hex tool not seating fully home.

Use a spray cleaner with extension tube to get right in the socket and blast out the crud. PB Blaster is really good at that and is about the best penetrating oil going.

If you are going to buy a socket set Allen tool get the best quality you can get in 1/4 or 3/8 drive as the tool diameter of 1/2 inch tools is often to bulky for confined spaces. Make sure the Allen section is a good close fit and square on the end not rounded and lastly give the tool a good sharp tap on the head just as you begin to apply torque so as to make sure it is really well seated.

I have failed to do this in the past and ended up with a tool camming out and damaging the socket GRRRR! Then it is much harder to get out!
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   alternator noise Empty Re: alternator noise Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Neal,
Sorry not to answer your first question, no it is not normal for the alternator to rumble that would say to me the rubbers and or bearing/s are shot. Fortunately as Phil says getting the alternator out is relatively easy especially a LOT easier than on some bikes like a Gold Wing.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   alternator noise Empty Re: alternator noise Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:56 am

red green

as well i understand that bosche uses the alt in a number of other aplications but with a different drive end housing
so automotive rebuilders can service it
even completly rebuild it for consideably less that the amount i have heard the dealer charges

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum