BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Engine Breather Hose Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:59 pm

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all, just wondering, I notice my breather hose is cracking after only being replaced around 2 years ago. What would happen if you blanked it off at each end? at $30 Aus, seems expensive for a bit of rubber that obviously doesn't last long. Or there an alternative type of hose? cheers Andyb

2Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:12 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
On my K75 I could not get one a few years ago and repaired it with heat shrink as a temp fix and it has lasted well to now.
I cut the heat shrink into 5 pieces I think so it would go round the corners without folding and wrinkling and then shrunk the very end where the clamps go, put it back and hit it with the hot air gun.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:14 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Yup mine is the same, i ordered one with some other parts from motorworks in the uk but they are out of stock till december. Motobins has them for $14.50 oz dollars, but i havent checked with them if they actually have it in stock.

I had wondered if heat shrink would do the job, thanks for the heads up on that K Freak.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Engine Breather Hose 170874

4Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:29 am

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the suggestion K, could be just the ticket, obviously the rubber cannot stand the heat generated in that area. cheers Andyb

5Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:37 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
moire likely that the rubber was in a stretch situation when tightened ... if the old machine vibrates much... and they all do ...it wouldnt take long to perforate the rubber .... dont forget that all that stuff from the heads up floats around on rubber...and that big plennum...although doesnt weigh much ,,, would certainly move around a bit..

hope you find a solution andy ...i got mine just over a month ago from motobins

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 am

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
yeah, they're out of stock in europe and i have my bike in pieces, ready to be fixed... i can also imagine that if BMW has 800 undelivered orders, they probably won't start the production all over again as this just simply won't pay off...

i can also understand why "new" hoses break and fall into pieces after 2 years - come on guys, they were all produced years ago!

so, my question is, is there any other way to replace it with something else?

cheers!

7Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:19 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
im sure there is paj ...just finding something with the tight bend and inside diameter off the crankase nipple seems to be the hard thing to find .....but i wont stop looking ..there has to be something around ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:25 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
vacuum hose for a ford au 's pcv is same diameter but needs a spring / copper pipe inside to stop it kinking . I did bend the copper tube to same shape as original hose contemplated using 2 short hoses and clamps .Ended up spending $30 on a new pipe

9Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:51 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Someone may be able to confirm this but I seem to recall that my K1100 has a 90deg turn on the steel tube comming from the crankcase (it has a very different system). It could be a good thing when looking for a replacement.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

10Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:21 am

whhoon

whhoon
You can not block off and cap both ends , but could you cap off the air accumulator side , and run a filterd breather on the engine side?????

11Back to top Go down   Engine Breather Hose Empty Re: Engine Breather Hose Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
apping the plenum off is OK but not the engine as the vacuum is needed to stop the oil leaks. Serious it prevents oil getting past seals that are a bit marginal

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum