BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Empty Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup
Hi guys.
I caught the Bike Bug again after a 30 year absence and purchased a rather sorry '85 K100RS, as every review I read on them had nothing but good things to say. I was a bit affronted when one scribe referred to them as "an old man's bike", until I realised that I probably qualify! The fact that I don't look totally ridiculous sitting on it helped the decision.
It hadn't been started for 5 years, so I had a bit of work to get it going.
Also, I hated the colour, so it's now Lachs Silver. Which matches my car..... I need to get out more.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Giddyup
good to see yet another queenslander on board.
Try and figure out how to post a picture so we can laugh at your bike. affraid
You'll need to be a bit patient and start with all the fluid changes and cleaning connections. If you just crank it over and it starts for you chances are you'll never get back to get all those things done.
Hope the weather is better up there mate, been a dog so far here
Cheers RT

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Howdy Giddyup (horse lover?, ex jockey?)

Welcome to the forum. Plenty to see and do here.

Raining as I type right now...probably will be for the next couple of days at least.

I've got to agree with you RT, once you get it running, you just want to ride it. Everything else can wait!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Hello giddy, welcome to the fold. Plenty of knowledge and advice to be found here. Like RT said, if she hasn't run in five years, you've got five years of up keep owing. Let us know how you proceed, we all have travelled this same path mate.
N.

http://www.airware.com.au

Life time member
Life time member
I'm convinced there's some sort of breeding program going on in Oz! You're story is familiar to many of us giddyup, there's something about those k bikes that germinates in the back of yer mind for years then pops out as soon as you decide to ride again. What amazes me is that the design hasn't dated in nearly 30 years. The mark of a classic I guess. You'll find many great threads about what to do to maintain and improve your bike so enjoy the forum.
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Giddyup. Thank god theres no cure for the "Bike Bug".

Post up some before and after pics of that ride of yours, show us how bad the colour was before the new silver went on Exclamation

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 170874

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome here Giddyup. I think I can 'slain the attraction of the flying brick to us oldtimers: It is still current in terms of performance, handling etc. after many years. It is also the last design, which still looks like a motorcycle - not like something out of Star Wars like the latest offerings.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
hello Giddyup. As 88KE suggested, the good season has our bikes fairing well. Plenty of road and places to go, and people to ride there with. As everone has said, lots of good people and knowledge here. Always something new to learn. I also agree with RT and Blakey. Check them things now or youll be wondering why you never got back to it!

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Giddyup. What ever you do, do not yell your name when riding the K. There are enough strange Queenslanders already.

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
"an old man's bike",

You do know why old men ride BMW's don't you?

Some say it is because Volvo don't make bikes.

Welcome aboard. Has QLD cornered the market on K's or something?

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
CanberraDave wrote: Welcome aboard. Has QLD cornered the market on K's or something?

Yep how many do you want?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya gidyup ....from another banana bender .....dont mind them southerners .....as we have always known there just jelous .. (bait ???)

good to see you found here friend .....ifn you need some help just ask

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard Giddyup. I think for me, one of the attractions to these bikes was that it was a "dream bike" which at the time it was new, was out of reach for me financially. If we're lucky now maybe we could afford more than one?

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

Giddyup

Giddyup
Hi guys, and thanks for the warm welcome.

I have done a lot of work to the bike since I got it 5 weeks ago, so I'm thinking a resto thread may be the order of the day. Just need to work out how to post pictures.

In answer to Blakey's question, I hate horses (broken jaw @16) and could probably eat a jockey in one sitting. Giddyup is just something I seem to say occasionally, according to my wife.

15Back to top Go down   Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Empty Re: Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Giddyup is just something I seem to say occasionally, according to my wife."

I'm not touching that one...Rolling Eyes

16Back to top Go down   Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Empty Re: Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:53 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
I rode a lot of horses in my much younger days, got thrown a few too many times. No brakes no off button thats the problem with em Shocked and i've never tried to eat a jockey What a Face

Giddyup is just something I seem to say occasionally, according to my wife. Don't even wanna go there :silent:

17Back to top Go down   Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Empty Re: Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Giddyup wrote:Just need to work out how to post pictures.
Posting pics is easy just follow the steps here http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t998-posting-pictures-and-movies

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Giddyup

Giddyup
No dears, let's not go there.

Here is the old girl shortly after I picked her up. I got it from a guy in Walcha, Central NSW, which is over 500k from where I live. Bloke had it advertised on ebay. No bids. Passes in. I call and offer less than half what he's asking, and he agrees, providing I collect it before 6pm that evening. Left Brisbane at 11am, got to his place at 5.30pm, home before midnight.

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811002

In the Garage at home. I wasn't intending to do too much, but the closer I looked, the grosser it became. It was obvious that major work was needed to properly repair the fairings, and the colour was not my 1st choice...

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811003

Bare bones. Not as bad as it looks. Big smile when I realised not seized and possibly worth continuing. If it was a fizzer at this point, no big deal, as I have a Mk2 Mini Cooper S to which I can graft the K100 head and fuel injection. No, really, it's quite common nowadays. Bolt on horsepower.

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811020

Jury rigged a fuel system to at least get it running to see if any further effort was warranted. Just quietly, very happy when it burst into life after all those years. Don't worry, I did it properly. Drained the oil, refilled with fresh oil and 50% diesel to flush, vigorously rocked bike and turned over by rotating wheel in gear, after 1st checking that all lifters were going in and out. Wouldn't do to bend a valve. Drained out oil flush and put 2 fresh loads through it by cranking over on starter motor (new battery and cleaned up starter - it really needed brushes, but not wanting to spend $ until sure it was worthwhile), with new oil filter. Grabbed a spare E30 BMW external fuel pump and hot wired it and plumbed it up to an external fuel tank (mower fuel can). Didn't take much for it to come back to life, and then added a can of Mercury (outboard) Power Tune, which is brilliant for unsticking rings. Replaced the 3 rubber covers on the intake manifold, balanced the TB's and it now runs very sweetly:

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811024

Long story short: Repaired and painted everything except side covers (had them professionally repaired - collected them this arvo), had rotten tank repaired, fitted good used UK ebay fuel pump, isolator and mount. new fuel lines and filter, and got the brakes working (sort of - next week's task). Took it for a ride. Dang, nice bike.
Still have to finish fitting the fairings and front mudguard, but I've got to do the wheels 1st. Needs lots and lots of finishing off, but you get the idea. By the time I'm allowed to ride it on the street, it should be quite nice.

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811029

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Great pics - looking good so far Wink

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Nice job - so farYet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 292303

Life time member
Life time member
lookin good, Giddyup. Well done.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi giddyup welcome mate nice bike you have there.

BIG D

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Giddy in your profile you mention that it is an 1988 model. Your photos suggest it may be 86 or younger. The reason for this is the seat design...with the grab handles in the seat. This was in the first generation of K100s and in 85,86 the second gen came out with many small changes, including the seat. The grab handles were then made part of the bodywork. Check your compliance plate.

What is wrong with red? People of fantasic taste have red bikes...just ask Blakey.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice start giddy .....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"What is wrong with red? People of fantasic taste have red bikes...just ask Blakey."

Right on ainsjac!

Don't worry about the colour Giddyup, I'll still talk to you.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Nice one Giddyup, i had that bike on watch on ebay. The guy who had it for sale said it went up my way somewhere. Glad to see it went to a good home.

Funny you should mention the mini head replacement thing, ever since i bought my k the boss has been trying to steal the head off of it.

Looks like your well into to fixing it up.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
caferacer62 wrote:Nice one Giddyup, i had that bike on watch on ebay. The guy who had it for sale said it went up my way somewhere. Glad to see it went to a good home.

Funny you should mention the mini head replacement thing, ever since i bought my k the boss has been trying to steal the head off of it.

Looks like your well into to fixing it up.

Tell him I have a head I will sell.

73MOH

73MOH
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Giddyup, and well done.Might start calling it Kweensland.

2005 KTM990sd

Giddyup

Giddyup
Hi guys.

Quite correct. It is an '85. And I've heard that before about people of fantastic taste and red bikes. Very Happy

Had a chance to play with the bike over that last couple of days -
Fitted new brushes to starter motor;
Found a couple of spare BMW badges for the tank;
Took off muffler and removed paint with 1500 wet&dry;
Changed oils in transmission and diff;
Fitted radiator fairing;.
Fitted front mud guard;
Repainted wheels - quite happy with the results....

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811038

Just need to paint the side covers and get them on, then it's almost done.
Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811046

I think it looks better with no rear mudguard. Comments?

Yet another Brisbane K100RS newbie. 030811048

Still to do:
Mirror glass for RH mirror;
Disconnect the insidious alarm;
Fit non-leaking master cylinders and re-bleed;
Get bike to a BMW bike shop for a check over - just to be sure that I haven't missed anything;
Get a license....

Oh worry, oh dear.....

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, the rear end looks alright without the mudguard...but the coppers may pick you up on it. If you like the look, you may have to get a "hugger" type mudguard (something like the GS BMW's have).

Nice looking bike too.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Giddyup wrote:Hi guys.

Quite correct. It is an '85. And I've heard that before about people of fantastic taste and red bikes. Very Happy
Still to do:
Mirror glass for RH mirror;
Disconnect the insidious alarm;
Fit non-leaking master cylinders and re-bleed;
Get bike to a BMW bike shop for a check over - just to be sure that I haven't missed anything;
Get a license....

Oh worry, oh dear.....

If you haven't got a bike licence then I suggest you check if you will be able to ride a 1000cc bike first up.

Giddyup

Giddyup
If you haven't got a bike licence then I suggest you check if you will be able to ride a 1000cc bike first up.[/quote]

I rode a Honda 750/4 when I was 17 and upgraded to a Kwaka 900 when I was 20 (1978). Got out of bikes in 1981, lost license and didn't renew. Thought I'd be allowed to go straight back onto big bikes when I get my license now, but the MRD tell me that they have no record of my earlier license, so I have to spend a year on a LAMS bike. Which sucks, but there you have it.

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Sounds like you are an almost grown-up fella, don't it?

........and it's looking nicer all the time - the K that is.

My 2-wheel hiatus (look it up!) was 43 years, so that just goes to show that there are crazy bastards outside of OZ too.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They lose the record as soon as it convenient. Your case is very common. They try every time I renew to get me to drop the bike licence and my Dad was 93 last time he renewed and passed his bike test but only rode when he has to do a test. I think it really gave them the $hits

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Giddy, all this means now is that you can take your time doing up your K. If they have lost records tell them that your K is a restricted one...down on power.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Well done Giddyup, looking good.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum