BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 2:55 am

johnm

johnm
G'day, people
My intro is probably rather odd compared to most, the only thing I've got at the moment is the determination to go touring on a K bike, I don't even have a motorcycle licence!
I've been a BMW owner for years and for the last few have been lucky enough to drive an M3, so I'm comfortable with the quality of the technology. The trigger came for me from digging around for info to help technically challenged bil do some minor work on his K100. I discovered I've had a latent and previously unrecognised desire to get on a decent machine and go touring.
About me? I've just retired after just shy of 40 years doing the electronics for aviation ground infrastructure- G'day Rick Grabau if you're reading this... I'm also a sailor, pushbike rider and I fly model helicopters.
Watch this space!
Cheers
JM

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
g'day john

wow ...that is a sweet ambition ...welcome to the "k" appreciators playground ...

you better look up some of the folks down your way soon enough i guess ...

the k doesn't cost a great deal these days and i guess like most, i have held off my purchase for many years ...and pleasently surpised when i did finally take the plunge.

a great mob of blokes here ...hope you enjoy

and hope you find the help that you need, in the forum

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 4:47 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"the k doesn't cost a great deal these days and i guess like most, i
have held off my purchase for many years ...and pleasantly surprised when
i did finally take the plunge.
"

Charlie's observation is spot on!

Welcome John.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 6:06 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum John. Don't forget to get a RED bike when you finally decide.

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 6:45 am

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome John, it all starts with a dream! You'll get plenty of help about what questions to ask etc when you find one you like the cut of.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 7:09 am

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
Hi John & welcome to the forum.

good to see another Taswegian the numbers are slowly growing.

K bikes are great as we all know and with the aid of the members here thier repair and restorations are all the more attainable for the average home diy.

All the best with your latest interest

BushyHello from Hobart 177912

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
G'day John, and welcome to the forum where we Tasmanian lunatics try to help with support and the solving of problems in our own Aussie way, complete with humour. Great people here, as you will find. Grab yourself a K bike and you'll be hooked, I guarantee it, ask me how I know. Cheers, and best of luck in the K world, Dennis

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard John. I hope you realize your dream soon.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome John from Branxholm NE Tassie . As others have already indicated this forum is a tremendous source of tech info, troubleshooting and humour . Our Qld cousins have set very high standards in supporting each other (5 stars guys ) so in that spirit contact me if you want a bike inspected 2nd opinion etc. especially up north here .

Cheers Gordo

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum John - loads of info here Wink

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Sun May 06, 2012 4:30 am

johnm

johnm
Hey people, thanks for the great welcome, it certainly confirms my initial impression that this is great place for lots of info and to just 'hang out'. I wonder if it's because most of us are shall we say past the first flush of youth and have a bit of time to ponder life etc?

Realistically I guess I'm about 12 to18 months away from getting serious about buying a K bike, I've got to put in my penance on something far less interesting and desirable first. In anticipation of getting my learners in the next week or so I'll probably have a look tomorrow at one of the local places who have a '99 SV650S and a '95 GSX250S for not huge quantities of cash, dare I ask for comment and opinion on these as a learners/ first year P rider's bike.

As far as K bikes go, I'm thinking more towards K75, as it's a little lighter than the 100's and 1100's, performance seems not at all dissimilar, and in fact quite comparable to the M car so I'm not really interested in the odd tenth of extra performance. I'm also thinking of the LT range, as that seems in line with my currently intended use. Am I over thinking it all?

I've got a bazillion and one questions but that'll do for the moment.

Cheers
JM

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Sun May 06, 2012 4:49 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
john ...whatever you learn on, is all experience ...the jump up to a bike that emotes "touring pleasure " is a step in another direction ...smaller bikes ...whilst quick to change direction and low on torque ..do have their own little nuances and peculiarities and are a joy for many .

but there is nothing like something that holds the road in all sorts of conditions, road surfaces, longetivity. reliability and distance like a "k".... it is a peticular awearness and appreciation that many have experienced here

and the owners keep comming back for more ....that must speak volumes in itself

cheers !

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 am

johnm

johnm

14Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers mate ....a "faired" bike ...but should be light and frisky

congradulations

15Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 am

johnm

johnm
charlie99 wrote:cheers mate ....a "faired" bike ...but should be light and frisky

congradulations

Thanks (with heart in mouth!) I wanted a faired bike so the BMW wouldn't seem so different when I transition.

Cheers
JM

16Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Tue May 08, 2012 6:24 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
In the spirit of welcoming someone new into the fold, I want to say that although some of us may be known as Queenslanders, and called a whole lot more sometimes, that some of us also got their start in that divine little place known affectionately as Tassie. Yep, that's right, from age five to early teens I resided there. In Trevallyn, Kingston and later on, Dilston. It was a great place to be a natural boy in the '60s. I learnt to ride on two wheels there, and didn't we go barefoot nine months of the year!? Poverty had only a little bit to do with it.

1977 R75/7-100, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100 Mystic, '96 K1100RS, 2 x '98 K1200RS, '06 K1200R & '09 K1300GT. Projects: 1993 & '96 K1100RS, & one '98 K1200RS. The R100 Mystic, K11/12 Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K1200R & K1300GT are running, rego'd & ridable.

17Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Nice bike!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

18Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 pm

johnm

johnm
Thought I might add a little update, I got my learners licence at the end of June then immediately went overseas for 6 weeks, before I could even sit on the bike. How frustrated was I?

Anyway back now and into it, I'm extending my envelope every day, been doing somewhere between 2 and 6 hours a day for the 3 or so weeks since I started riding.

I've promised myself I'll shout myself a learner legal BMW of some sort when I get my provisional licence in about six months, then it's just a 12 month wait for an open licence and I can start looking at K bikes.

The journey continues. I'm off to practice some low speed maneuvering

Cheers
JM

19Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 pm

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Good to see you still on track JM.
Enjoy the ride.

Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

20Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 am

Life time member
Life time member
Good progress JM. Lots of slow riding practice is time well spent even for those who have been at it a while.

Do the ruling classes there allow the fitting of a restrictor kit to a bigger/older bike to make it learner legal?

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

21Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:31 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
G'Day John and welcome, i thought that once you had a black licence you just did your p test and reverted to a black as in HR+R rather than being on a provisional. In which case in 3mth's you should be fine to play

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

22Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Good work John , keep at it soon be there .

In reply to 88, here in OZ most states have the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme , LAMS , ( lambs, get it ?) which is a power to weight ratio rating . Many , but not all , 650 s qualify indeed the major manufacturers are making models to suit . This was a long time coming partly cos Honda etc wanted to protect the 250 market . W ith the increased no. of efi bikes now it's not as simple as strangling the intake so reverting to full power versions takes some extra effort and $s.

Here in Tas have never heard of the " black " thingmy . If you have previously held a m/c
licence you have a case to go unrestricted i have "heard " , most older guys just ride what they want if they are too .. is macho the word i'm looking for ?

23Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:27 am

johnm

johnm
Yeh, unfortunately I don't think we've got any mechanism in place here to restrict a bigger bike to make it lams legal, and, having never held a bike licence before, I've got to do the whole L's (6 months minimum) and P's for 12 months before I can (legally) ride a bigger bike. The only concession I get for being over 25 (really?) and holding an open car licence is that I go straight to open bike after 12 months on P's. In the meantime I'm having a lot of fun on the 250 and looking forward to a nice christmas present in 2013.

Cheers
JM

24Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Great attitude Jon , 2 wheels is 2 wheels ! The thrill , the buzz , is not cc related . This is often forgotten as we naturally go for more power torque or features .
Come up to Branxholm sometime and I'll give you a spin on the K75 , who knows ? you may hate it ! ha ha ha ha ha. Only joking !

Ps . just ask for Gordon .

25Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:11 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us John, the K 75 is a great bike. All K's tend to have a highish centre of gravity so it takes a bit of extra care if this is a first bike, but they are fantastic bikes.
Regards,
K-BIKE

26Back to top Go down   Hello from Hobart Empty Re: Hello from Hobart Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:04 pm

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome John. Ride safe and have fun. kf

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum