BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Well folks, last Thursday evening on the way home from work I had a stroke of unfortunate luck. Due to a bad case of decision making I had the misfortune to give a car a small nudge in the rear end. Only doing around 20kph.Sad

As I came forward the screen caught the bottom of my visor and opened it up. The upshot was this caused a funnel effect of the screen into the front of my helmet. What stopped the screen from penetrating too far was the bridge of my nose. Given one immovable object hitting another something had to give and the screen broke. But not until it had opened up my nose to the bone. Claret everywhere but no broken nose.

Fell to the left side and rolled off. Removed my helmet as it was fast filling with aforementioned claret. Some nice passerby people got the bike off the road. First thing I did was start it up. No problems there. After a ride in a nice ambulance and a night in hospital they let me out to survey the damage. I didn't think much of it as the bike had been picked up by a couple of mates and delivered to my house. Given the low speed I did not expect too much damage.

On Tuesday I rode it over to the bike shop for the insurance quote. Bloody cold, as it was -6c and no screen (windchill of about -21c at 100kph). Got the verdict today. The front end is bent somewhere. Do not know if it is forks or frame. Bottom line is she is a right off. Sad Sad Sad They did ask if I wanted to buy the wreck, but I do not have the skill, time or patience for a repair of this nature at this time. So if you are looking for some spares then keep your eye on the insurance auctions for the next few weeks. I am guessing it may appear in Sydney or somewhere close to Canberra.

She has around 121000km and the motor is as quiet as a mouse. New rear disk. SH (from UK) 16 tooth drive shaft and rear drive unit in good nick.

Having said all this, I am not done with these bikes. I will be keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement at some time in the future and will most certainly be watching this forum so I can keep in touch. You will just have to accept a token German Ducati on the rides for now. 👽

Last edited by CanberraDave on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

2Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Damn that is crap. Glad you are ok. Shame about the bike.
You know you are going to have to get another K. Imagin starting fresh on a new forum and wasting that Silver membership you have here.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

3Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Damned unfortunate Dave. I'm sure it was unpleasant in the extreme. I know we love them but it's only metal at the end of the day, what's important is that you're ok (or at least will be when healed ). The right K will come along in due course. Stay well.
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Dave,

Glad to hear that you're OK.
Next time you try to push a car with your bike, ask the driver to lift his foot from the brake.
Sometimes, 'crashes' at low speed can result in costly repairs but your problem may have been a slightly bent fork tube and the repair could be cheap.
Few month ago, my brother got pushed by a car and the bike tipped over.
After that, the bike was not riding right. He was afraid that the frame got bent. The problem was only one fork tube that went up in the tee by about 5mm.

A 15 minutes repair fixed it. The insurance paid for the rest of the damages.

CF

5Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Bummer Dave, glad you are ok.
We need to catch up mate, coffee and sympathy. I'll be in touch.
RT

6Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Not good Dave but good to hear you came out OK (sort off).
Looks like the Barvarian Ducati will have to do some work for a change.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear of your recent incident but the best news is that you are ok and you will continue riding. I hope your nose recovers soon Wink

8Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:30 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
I agree with all above. I love bikes more than most other things , but we of blood and bone are invaluable. glad you are ok .

http://www.airware.com.au

9Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:35 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Hope you have a speedy recovery Dave. I don't think it matters what we ride, so long as you can get out on 2 wheels and enjoy yourself.

Sorry to hear that they wrote off your wheels though. Another great K will pop up no doubt.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Bit of Bad Luck 170874

10Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 am

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Dave, sorry to hear of your mishap. Your brave bike sacrificed herself for you, I'd hate see you if you hit the back of a car at 20kph, but it's good to know she'll live on in other K's. But ain't bike shopping so much fun? cheers Have a speedy and full recovery.

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

11Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:37 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks for the kind words folks. I know that she will end up in a good home where someone will either reserect her or she will give new life to another who is a bit tired. I have already been searching the classifieds.

You are right RT we will have to catch up for a coffee. Maybe on a day that is not below zero though.Very Happy

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

12Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
comiserations dave ....get well soon friend ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Bit of Bad Luck Empty Re: Bit of Bad Luck Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:27 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Really sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad you are OK.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum