BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
Occassionally the engine will start to run rough for no apparent reason. Pull over, shut the bike off, restart and it will run fine for days or weeks. Checked the usual suspects: connections, fuel, etc. any ideas? 1985 K100RT.

2Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Re: Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:27 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
otto59 wrote:Occassionally the engine will start to run rough for no apparent reason. Pull over, shut the bike off, restart and it will run fine for days or weeks. Checked the usual suspects: connections, fuel, etc. any ideas? 1985 K100RT.

Hello Oto, check L shaped rubber tube between engine housing and air box. Prone to crack and cause rough idling.

3Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:34 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
Brand new one on already.

4Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Re: Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
otto59 wrote:Brand new one on already.

Somethime I notice diferences on idle connected to different fuel (octane level varies all the time) We dont use constantly good fuel like in Austria for example. I dont believe its a case in Canada...

5Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:09 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
I don't think our fuel here in Canada is any better than anywhere else. I don't use any one brand exclusively but I do use only premium (high octane) name brand fuel from the major thieving blood- sucking oil companies.

6Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:11 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
@ $1.34 a liter BTW.

7Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Re: Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check the plug leads are pushed on properly and that the small screw on bits on top of the plugs are there and not a bare small thread. If one lead comes off then two plugs stop firing and if the plug lead does not have a good connection it will move aroung making an eratic connection.
Check up inside the plug cap and make sure it is clean with no white powder grunge on the connection.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Rough running Empty Rough running Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:36 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Re check spark plug gaps, gave me grief for months before i rechecked my own handywork there, had the gaps all over the place. (and as an aside, don't drink beer whilst working on that part of your bike)
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum