BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty rear car tire Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:42 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, anybody with dark side experience of driving bike without side car on rear car tire? I have VW rim and 165 15 and thinking to test drive on that

cheers

2Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
nino wrote:Hello, anybody with dark side experience of driving bike without side car on rear car tire? I have VW rim and 165 15 and thinking to test drive on that

cheers

Just forget about this idea.
If you use a car tire on a solo bike, don't expect to take any turns. The profile is not designed for a motorcycle
I may be good for drag racing, but no more.

CF

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:53 pm

+1 ...emphatically.
Dangerous.

4Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I know some guys that have done it and the biggest problem is that you have to push it down in corners and keep pushing or it will stand up.
Personally I would not do it as the 17 and 18 inch tyres for bikes and cars have slightly different diameters on the rim and when fitted to a bike the car tyres can be not very tight on the rim.
Most I know who have done it have cruiser style bikes and they dont handle anyway but one guy has an FJR 1300 Yamaha and he doesn't even realize how badly it handles. It leand over to the right to keep a straight line on a left side camber road, at a guess about 3 deg.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Some of the old Sunbeam S7 riders used to do that because at one time it was difficult to get M/C tyres for the size of wheel and rim but definitely not a good idea, in bends you want the contact patch to get bigger as it leans over not smaller as it would with a car tyre affraid
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:50 am

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
i wouldnt do it a few years ago when i took the chair off my /5 i went for quick blat up the street with avon sidecar tyres still on the bike went ok in a straight line but didnt like the corners not one of my smartest ideas rear car tire 1092936054

7Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
It must be something in the blowing dust out here but I continually encounter V-Rods in the town of Mojave with car tires on the back.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

8Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They don't go they dont stop they don't handle so it wouldn't make any difference.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:44 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
Evil or Very Mad

Someone tell me why I cannot upload a photo from my laptop to this website? This is ridiculous

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

10Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Themason , long time no read , I'd like to see more pics of your K in your avatar

JR

Melbourne Australia

11Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="JR_K100RS"]G'day Themason , long time no read , I'd like to see more pics of your K in your avatar

JR

Melbourne Australia[/quote]

G'day yourself! I bought the Blue Bovine new in 1984 when I was an Ensign in the Navy. It is about to roll 290,000 miles.

I'm trying with no success to post a photo from my laptop of a 2012 Night Rod Special with a car tire on the rear towing a bar-b-que trailer. California desert weirdness.

12Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Dont know what to say. After 3000 - 4000 km driving on our highway I get car like square rear tyre which lost form. In next 1000 or 2000 km I need replacement because it became real car tyre. Maybe is better to start with car tyre on rear. Have a opportunity to buy new Continental 165/60 17. I ll see.

Regards

13Back to top Go down   rear car tire Empty Re: rear car tire Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:49 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
It will be interesting to hear how you go Nino, I would ask you to consider the milage you can get from the different tyres, 60 to 80,000Km is possible from a car tyre, but 18 is a big milage tyre for our bikes, the difference is in grip and much of that is side grip, so if you go this route be very gentle on the curves, as you know our bikes dont like square tyres when we get to the end of the tread we are fully aware of having to hold the old girls over and constantly keep them online, it may come to pass that, that very experience is what will be felt by your bike with the new tyre on it. let us know how you get on.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum