BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

RT

Life time member
Life time member
It's funny what you miss when you are looking.
K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 P6050010
Unless I'm mistaken that is an errant earth, going to where I wonder? Anyone know?.

Ok getting annoyed now.
So I was wondering if I can swap the ECU harness from my
09/84 RT to this bike, being an 07/90 LT. It looks the same.
Vin WB1050603L0 but don't want to fry anything.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yes I know do I get a prize if I tell you?
Should have a 6mm fitting on it and it goes under the socket head cap screw that holds the bracket for the lower fairing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Wow tks Rick,the things you learn. I did attach it to the frame and gave it a crank, nothing. So back to everybody's last suggestions. Can I swap that harness over without causing trouble?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I reckon you could the only difference I know of is the vacuum switch that effectivly does nothing behind the #1TB on an 84 and the 90 wont have a wire for that but it wont make any difference as most of those things made their way to the tip years ago and the wire taped over.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Just as well I do have a bike that works and I can get a stress relief ride in.

I have spark, injectors are pulsing and spraying, ignition leads resistance all read between 5k and 6k and the engine is trying to fire up. New spark plugs(d7ea). It sounds like it really wants to start, which is a result but just need that little bit more. There is plenty of fuel getting through, and the return line spurts a lot back in to the tank. (which was completely empty on purchase so no old fuel).

So I assume the spark is not powerful enough. Can I get a lesson on how to measure the coil output, in easy to follow form. Or point me to a post that does that. I have tried a search but I'm afraid I don't understand electrik jargon too well.

The one thing I do know is that the previous owner was firing her up with gas straight into the throttle bodies when he was showing her to potential buyers. Would it help to pull the plugs out and let the fuel completely evaporate? I read Charlies suggestion to
pull the plugs and disconnect the pump and crank it over, but it won't crank without the
fuel pump plugged in. Unless I missed something else, wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for your collective patience, I can hear the sighing already.
R(why don't I buy a new one)T

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Pull the plugs and dry them with a flame or put them in MILs oven and let the thing sit and contemplate its future.
My grey K100 would not start at cold if there was even a hint of throttle and even having your hand on the grip was enough so I used to use my left hand and right hand no where near the grip.
Caution is needed in measuring coil output but if you want hang onto them and if your eyes go blue and you blackout then they are OK but don't try this at home. Do it outside the local hospital or ambulance centre. Very Happy
You say you measured the leads but are you getting a spark? I presume you are because you said he was pouring fuel down it's throat to start it so try some aerostart or the nulon startyabastard.

107Back to top Go down   K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 Empty Fuel Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Get ALLLL the old fuel out of the tank (every drop) and put is some fresh gas......

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
GTks men
yep I have spark, don't know how powerful but it lights up my new spark plug tester.
After once reaching under a car bonnet to re attach a spark plug lead with engine going, I think I will give the coils a wide berth, my arm still hurts and the ticker is a bit jumpy.

I was thinking to pull the plugs and leave the holes open for a few days to evaporate, but
as well, at 3 am this morning when my brain is at it's best that perhaps there is a major air leak problem.
As it was me who put the air box back on there's a fair chance that it's not sealed properly so I will pull that all apart if I cannot get it started after these latest suggestions.
Onwards and upwards.
RT

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you The Hindenburg, with thanks to all who provided me with the means to get the oily,smelly old thing running. Replaced the sensor behind the radiator, put some oil in the plug holes, charged the battery and finally was rewarded with a crackly, smokey exhaust. (not to mention the oil leak on the pipes and spilt radiator coolant, yes it leaks when you undo the sensor, derrr.), but it is working and I feel chuffed. This forum is great.
K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 P6160010

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
onya mate, must be rewarding to bring it back to life, I like the stand. What sensor was it?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great news bob ....good on you for sticking at it
K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 112350

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

112Back to top Go down   K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 Empty Awsome Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:45 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Very Happy

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
The sensor (Charlie will tell you it actually is 2 sensors in one) lives in a metal pipe on the RH side front( from front on), underneath the radiator.
I have seen it referred to as the cold start sensor, or hot start cutoff sensor. If the bike overheats it will not let the engine start again until it cools down. I don't know why it wouldn't let mine start cold, but by the look of it the outside brass nut had corroded onto the iron? radiator pipe. We have heard of this before on the forum, as I have removed it and tested it, it reads just fine so the problem was it had been shorting out with all the built up corrosion. That's my story, I'm sure Inge and ibjman can provide full techno's for it. Do remember the drain the radiator though if you are going to undo it, Bummer.
I have no back brakes but that won't stop me from taking it down the back paddock hill when um, er, I am home alone so to speak.

Waz the stand was a gift from my Mother in law, it's pretty good but is too high to have a car park over it so you need vacant space (like outside her flat), and weighs a ton. (the stand not the M o l ).

Nice loose rivet sounds coming out of it and the throttle seems to stick and oil dripping from somewhere, and still I'm happy.

114Back to top Go down   K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 Empty Awsome mother in law Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:10 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Wow! gift from MIL! she's a keeper.

Just put a couple of long 2 x 8's on the floor on either side of the bike stand and the car can drive up on those, maybe clear the stand?

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Robertson eh?

That's where I bought my sidecar from a few years back. From a man with a very big collection.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 K-dogs10

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Fantastic news RT.......another smoking K to pollute the atmosphere.

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
My mother inlaw got me a book, the joys of being single.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Al, I'd like to get in touch with that bloke, I've seen him riding an old bike with a cane sidechair. (slowly). I wouldn't mind trying to get an outfit started up myself.
RT

119Back to top Go down   K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 Empty The collector Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:09 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Been trying to send a PM, but the site is not cooperating.

I'd love to help RT but I dont have the guys contact details anymore.  At the time I bought the KRS sidecar, the collection spread across 5 sheds in Robbo, totalling 128 bikes, 78 of which were running.  He had a sidecar on some form of rego for each decade of the 20th century, I'm thinking you probably seen the Triumph with the wicker chair.  My fav was a Maroon Rudge Square Four fitted with a Steib bullet sidecar, it was just gorgeous.

Al

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I don't think Rudge ever made a square four Al, sure it wasn't an Ariel?

Paul.

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:I don't think Rudge ever made a square four Al, sure it wasn't an Ariel?

Paul.

You're correct, my brain was out of gear.

A mate of mine had many Honda singles over a few years. Some of them had RFVC cast into it. Honda meant Radial Four Valve Combustion. He insisted it was really Rudge Four Valve Copy.

Al

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Anyway, back to the bike today for a bit. I have emptied the fork oil in preparation for new seals, and drained the engine oil. Man, that stuff was gunky, the oil filter cover was on with sealant, and the oil filter was done up to about 30 Nm. Small amount of metally stuff on the inside of the cover is not a good sign, but with 245,000ks I guess it's not too bad. I emptied out about 5 litres of old oil, no wonder I couldn't see through the sight glass, which is now clear, and it might explain why there is oil coming out of every orifice.

The good news is it starts really easily and runs much more smoothly, except the exhaust is crackly, once I get the fork seals done I might even be able to get it mobile around the yard. No back brakes though.
Just need to troll through the posts to see how hard these seals are.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to hear some nice progress bob

keep at it ol mate ...your doing well !

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
RT, if worse comes to worse....put your foot on the rear tyre to stop the bike. It use to work for me on my old pushbike when the chain came off. Hint....don't wear thongs when you do it.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Ha, thanks Stan, how well can we remember that toe rasping feel of gravel as your foot slips off.
I have to start thinking about a colour, you got any of that radiation warning orange left?.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I got 1/2 a tin of Mystik pink you can have.

Alheng

Alheng
Gold member
Gold member
Great work RT. all this all about bring another back to life is tempting me to pick up a k75 that I have found sitting.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Have got paint RT, but have lost my spray booth for a while......end of financial year and it is full of fencing stuff.....some people are so inconsiderate!

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Downright rude Stanley. By the way what sort of heat lamps did you use when drying your jaffa off?

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Heat lamps? The paint is a two pack...that is paint, thinners,and hardener...which should make it a three pack? The hardener ratio depends a little on ambient temperature. Drying time, for recoating would be 20 to 30 minutes.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
K Pox and its insidious mental side effects - Page 3 P7080012
We have mobility (and a little oil seapage problem ) but I can ride it around the yard.
Seems the "choke" cable is stuck in the on position, swerving around trees and half throttle is a bit of a pain.
Now to re seal the LH crankcase cover, and check out the bell housing.

Have a look how low this thing is, my feet are flat on the ground.

And there is always a dog around at my place.

Last edited by RT on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot summit.)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yahoo ..!!! good work there bob .

saggy springs in the forks huh ... good to see your happy face mate

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Nice work Bob.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Great to see the bike up and running. What is this...photo and dog? Are you trying to compete with Bella?
Is that a new helmet you have there?

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Helmet is a hair replacement, too cool here at the moment. Dog is a standard bed warmer.
Smile lasts until next cockup.(occurred).

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum