BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

excorcist

excorcist
Hi, I have a k100 tank that i started to sand and like many other tanks, it has some pinholes around the bottom area next to the weld seam. I patched from the outside with a thin layer of jb weld, now I want to seal it from the inside. I was going to use a Motorcycle gas tank sealer kit, it comes with a cleaner, a prepper, and the actual sealant, Im wondering If I will have any trouble with any of the moving parts, Or how i Will be able to block off the two hoses on the left side of tank ( one is the fuel outlet, the other i believe is some sort of vacuum line?) So they do not get sealed shut. I can remove any parts that I need to,,, i was hoping someone has done this in the past, or at leat can provide some suggestions.

Here is the product I want to use:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kco-52000

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Let me say that I have no experience with chemically welding/sealing bike tanks, but I have reservations with doing it in this case. I am not sure if the chemical sealant can match the expansion/contraction rates of metals such as aluminium and because of that I wonder if it is a permanent solution.

Without being an alarmist, the fuel tank on our bikes is above the engine, gets hot and it is directly above injectors and coils/spark plug wires...

Just a thought. I love to hear from people who have done it on bikes like the Ks.

BTW there are no vacuum lines in the tank. One is the fuel feed to the infector rail (high pressure; 36psi) and the other is a low pressure return from the fuel rail.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have just had a friend here asking how to seal a tank which he spent over $100 on sealer alone to no avail.
This is the only stuff that I have had success with Permatex http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/professional-repair-systems/permatex-fuel-tank-repair-kit-detail
It is now nearly six years since the first repair which is still holding.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
I used Eastwood gas tank sealer to seal 20 plus pin holes in my K75 tank, It's a 3 part process that ends up with you sloshing the sealer around in the tank as a final step. Worked great for me. I blew air thru the lines before the stuff got hard to make sure nothing got clogged.I called Eastwood before application and they said that it would be fine for a aluminum tank. Funny as it was I had no leaks before using a chemical stripper on the tank, I guess that BMW's primer and paint is a great tank sealer also.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum