BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty A great deal of thanks Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 am

styenchko

styenchko
Greeting from the vast North American West.

I owe a great deal of thanks to the members of this forum for invaluable technical information used in rebuilding my 1985 K100. Last summer I acquired the ailing machine from a friend, complete with unapproved electrical hacks, leaking water/oil pump seals, bad compression, broken hard bags, no fairing, a spongy clutch and throttle, and a decade of cosmetic neglect. After months of tinkering and research, and many nights and beers later she's back to life. I owe many of you for insights the manual doesn't provide, and shortcuts around BMW's sometimes curious engineering. Thanks.

Although my profile lists Santa Fe as basecamp I really just wander around. Next destination: Houston, and a career change.

Drop me a line if there's something I should know about what's down the road.

Thomas

A great deal of thanks Mad-ma11

A great deal of thanks Img_2011

A great deal of thanks Mainte11

2Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty Re: A great deal of thanks Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:18 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
This is what this Forum is all about...keeping the K's on the road.

What's ahead? Use good fuel, make sure you do regular oil changes and keep an eye on the deterioration of the rubber stuff.

Keep us posted about your travels.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty Re: A great deal of thanks Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Gidday,

yes best of luck with the bike... btw I love you bike lift, slightly jealous!

4Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty lift Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 am

styenchko

styenchko
Yeah, the lift is totally worth it. Doing the pan and water pump without it would've been a serious pain. Our first we all pitched in for a neighbor and the cost was minimal, of course we then found numerous old bikes to work up, and then bought a second lift. Then for spot repairs and tire changes we needed a jack. And then we made a stand for dirt bikes. Then we made a plate to hang the engines on for the engine stand. Still worth it.

5Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty Re: A great deal of thanks Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Ya gotta love those desert bikes.

BTW--I've got a single-bolt muffler ('89 style) and a double-bolt ('85 style) foot plate, and am having problems getting the bolt hole to line up properly--any suggestions?

6Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty plate Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 am

styenchko

styenchko
I'm guessing you'll either have to make an adapter plate or braze the mounting hanger to the correct position. But send photos. Welding onto exhausts is a serious pain unless the interior of the pipe is clean-which on the stock BMW muffler is unlikely, and the damn baffling is complex, which is why I suggest brazing. But do send photos.

7Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty Re: A great deal of thanks Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:08 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
AJ.Valente wrote:

BTW--I've got a single-bolt muffler ('89 style) and a double-bolt ('85 style) foot plate, and am having problems getting the bolt hole to line up properly--any suggestions?

AJ, can't you just use the later mounting bracket?
http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K%20Series

Paul.

8Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty Re: A great deal of thanks Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 am

ali2908

ali2908
Silver member
Silver member
AJ I am having the same problem the mounting hole is out by about an 1" to 1.5" I have later foot rests fitted but still have the same problem as you. I made a plate which allowed the silencer to connect to the bracket but this had the effect of pushing the exhaust down which means it fouls the kickstand. I am getting a piece of metal welded to the bracket tomorrow which hopefully allow the silencer to clear the side stand.

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow night.

Ali

Ali
1985 K100RS
2002 K1200 RS

9Back to top Go down   A great deal of thanks Empty Re: A great deal of thanks Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
I'll just post links to this thread.
"http:\\www.postalpaperantiquities.com/Pages/Temp/Exhaust1.jpg"
"http:\\www.postalpaperantiquities.com/Pages/Temp/Exhaust2.jpg"
Notes:
A) This is the old heat shield showing crack that developed in the section right behind the footpeg.
B) Another symptom is the indicated bolt loosens and falls out (this is the replacement heat shield)
C) After fiddling with the header plentum by loosening all the clamps I was able to get the bolt holes within 3/8", but still not perfect.
D) After adjustment C) the foot plate is still tight against the heat shield in this spot. Deformation of heat shield in this spot is why (I believe) bolt falls out and crack develops.

Solution: My idea is to Drammel the foot plate to relieve pressure on the heat shield, but this is a last resort.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum