BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   spedo cluster off Empty spedo cluster off Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:38 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, I have the speedo cluster off, to start bike I have to pull in clutch even in neutral, hard start , is that because temp. gauge ect not hooked up, I have it off to fix gear indicator, but just wondering. 86 k100.
Thanks
Brian

2Back to top Go down   spedo cluster off Empty Re: spedo cluster off Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:03 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
This is an easy one.
If you check the following diagram, you will see that the power at the starter button comes from the gear digital display OR the clutch switch.
In neutral, the digital display feeds the starter button. If it's not present,defective or not in neutral, you have to pull the clutch to get power to the starter button.

I am wondering what is wrong with your gear indicator.
Usually, gear indicator problems come from the switch at the back of the gear box (You have to remove the swing arm to access it).
This switch is not waterproof and has the tendency to get filled with water.
If the digital display is working and you still have to pull the clutch to start, it could be a problem with the diode at the output of the display.

spedo cluster off Starte10

Here is how to open and clean the gear switch. Be careful when you open it as the 3 little pins are spring loaded. (Open the switch in a clear plastic bag to track where the parts jumped).

spedo cluster off IMG_0114

spedo cluster off IMG_0100

Bert

3Back to top Go down   spedo cluster off Empty Re: spedo cluster off Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:35 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
A regular problem is that the bike won't start normal, even though the gear indicator shows the gearbox to be in neutral ('0'). The neutral light (green) does not come on. Often this is caused by a fried transistor on the gear indicator card in the speedo.
Switching is simple - the bike won't start when in gear. The switchgear gets the signal from the gear indicator card in the speedo, so no signal no starting. Unless you pull the clutch, where the clutch switch than provide the electrronics with a signal that it is safe to start. Hope that clarifies a bit.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland spedo cluster off Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

4Back to top Go down   spedo cluster off Empty Re: spedo cluster off Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:42 am

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks, the problem with gear ind. is the Cristal display, I have one coming, the old one is half black, which doesn't let you see the numbers, I think the root off my rough running problems are leaking intake manifolds when the bike is running and I spray a bit of carb cleaner at the base of them ,particularly # 2 the motor speeds up ,I am going to take them off tonight and look for cracks, and put them back on with sealant, if thats is done otherwise I will send for new ones.
Thanks
Brian

5Back to top Go down   spedo cluster off Empty Re: spedo cluster off Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, I took off the throttle bodies and the manifolds and found two of each rubber cracked!. I have ordered new ones to be hear on Wen. Can I
use the clamp type that hold the bodies to the manifolds for the rubber tubes that connect the bodies to the air box? This should have a major effect on how the bike runs.
Thanks
Brian

6Back to top Go down   spedo cluster off Empty Re: spedo cluster off Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 pm

the mule

the mule
I had this problem quite some time ago and was advised that this was due to a transistor that also acts as a switch on the PCB behind the tachometer. See picutre below. The component was duly replaced and all worked again as it should immediately without any further issue.

spedo cluster off Pcbtransistorposition

https://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/the_mule/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum