BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gelmyk

gelmyk
Hello all, Just wanted to pass along my feelings on this subject. Over the weekend I installed a new set of Perilli Angel ST's on my '91 4V to replace the completely used up Metzeler Z6's that the PO said were "new" when I bought the bike in July. Once I managed to figure out how to remove the calipers on the front wheel and find enough room to pull the rear wheel out between the exhaust and final drive everything went back together fairly well. Now for the good part, all I can say is WOW! what a difference. I'm so impressed with the handling and confidence improvement I can hardly believe it's the same bike.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Glad you got a good result with the tyres and got the wheels on and off OK.

I don't have experience with the brands you mention but you would expect Pirelli's to be good. My 16 valve still runs on Bridgestones Battlax, until last month had a BT20 on the front and a BT21 rear, now replaced the front with a BT23. Be interesting to hear others views on radial tyre choice for 16 valve bikes.

Cheers
Dave

3Back to top Go down   New tires or (tyres) installed this weekend Empty There's lots of opines Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
There's almost as many opinions about tires as there are motorcycles....LOL
I have to admit that any time we take a set of worn tires off a bike and install a brand new set, they're going to feel remarkable (after you get the mold release agent scrubbed off).
The degradation from new tires to worn out ones is extremely subtle because of the time span. On the other hand the change between worn out & brand new is ALWAYS remarkable.
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just pointing out that the remarkable change may not always be soley attributable to the quality of one brand/style over the next one.
I'm usually the odd man out around here, I just ordered a new set of Conti Go tires in the OEM size for my 85rs.
I expect them to wear out faster than some of the Bridgestone's, Avon's or for that matter almost any other tires.
I have had good experience with the Conti's and the Metzlers in my history & I expect to get about 8,000 miles out of this set.
We will see.
Regards, ibj....

I love the Michelin Pilot Road 3s that are fitted to my 16v. They came with the spare set of wheels that I bought and were brand new. I paid less for the two wheels than the tyres would have cost me!

Life time member
Life time member
What size Angels did you fit Gelmyk?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
My K1 is wearing Michelin pilot and I'm pretty happy with them. Then again I've found that there's much less variation between radial tyres than there is with bias belted.

When they need changing I may go for Metzeler Roadtec Z8.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:I love the Michelin Pilot Road 3s that are fitted to my 16v. They came with the spare set of wheels that I bought and were brand new. I paid less for the two wheels than the tyres would have cost me!

Yes I have heard those well rated elsewhere

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I'm currently on a 6000 km road trip through BC WA OR CA OR WA BC. Should be home in a couple of days. My Metzeler Z6's on the R/RT are nearly finished now. 17K kms on them by the time I get home. While in the USA I took advantage of purchasing tires via internet and having them shipped to me. This way I won't have to pay duties or taxes to bring them over the border. Brand new Metzeler Z8's for just over $300 for the pair and free shipping. Motorcycle Superstore if you are interested.

PS. Also gonna buy one of those Harbour Freight motorcycle table lifts. Have a coupon from a bike mag-$300.

Cheers from the California Central Coast!

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
waves to doug ....good riding ol mate

my pirelli sport demons (crossply ) are well and trully scrubbed in since about september last year

looks like im averaging about 15,000 - 17,000 ks on the rear and well over 20,000 ks on the front (i guess cause its an rt rather than an rs that has a slightly different balence front to rear )

the tyre sizes are plus 1 s

more work to happen before the piralli "angel st's" go back on (yes i do have a nice 5 inch rim for the rear )

interesting to note on our "neranderra trip" the differences between the same 5 inch rear wheel (160mm tyre) and the "paralever" rear end on halo's 86 rs compared to the standard 8 valve rear end ...it lines up beutifully front to rear ....despite all the "educated guesses" that we have seen in the forum

onya halo ...another one solved

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

2slow

2slow
Glad to here you like them i just got a set of demon gt's delivered and I'm anxious to get them on

gelmyk

gelmyk
88, I stayed with stock sizing 120/70-17 front and 160/60-18 rear.
Club_c, Yes I also piurchased through Motorcycle Superstore, great pricing and superior service New tires or (tyres) installed this weekend 212902

12Back to top Go down   New tires or (tyres) installed this weekend Empty conti go Wed May 15, 2013 5:29 pm

ARTCOLLINSJR

ARTCOLLINSJR
Silver member
Silver member
I just put the conti go's on and am impressed with the ride (as you said...)
The front actually balanced with no weights

13Back to top Go down   New tires or (tyres) installed this weekend Empty Yeah! Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Wow,
2 Votes now for the Conti Go's!!!! (Out of a cast of 1000's).......I'm felling really special now!

Tony the Skin

Tony the Skin
My new to me K75RT seems quite good on it's Avon tyres. Well it did till last night when I discovered a puncture. On the bright side the rear wheel was easy to remove unlike a K100RS 16V belonging to a friend was. Back in the 80's when I ran a K100 German tyres rather than British were used by most people I knew. Times move on. I am a big fan of Avon in the wet on Harley's.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Gees here they don't ride them in the rain they hide under the overpasses till it stops raining

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

16Back to top Go down   New tires or (tyres) installed this weekend Empty tyres Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
metzler lazertech seem good value here, got em fitted today, front axle assy a beaut piece of engineering in my view.
Rick

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I've said it before but it's worth repeating:

The trouble with tyre recommendations from around the world is that road surface construction, how well they are maintained and all the other variables such as weather etc makes a lot of difference to the way tyres perform and wear.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum