BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Engine Hesitation, Among Other Things Empty Engine Hesitation, Among Other Things Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 pm

schubocks

Hello all, new '85 K100RT owner here, just bought it Monday the 5th with a mere 33,000mi on it. I love it so far. Rode it 60mi home last night in mid-30F weather and didn't get too cold. I do have a few questions/problems that I'd like to get info and help with though. I'd really like to get my hands on a cheap owner's manual (previous owner let the original one get wet and pages are all stuck to each other and tear when I try to open it) and/or repair manual to help me do my own oil changes and what-not. $400+ US is kind of ridiculous to shell out for a full service/inspection. Anywho, on to the real stuff.

Engine hesitates: When i start the bike (cold/hot doesn't seem to matter) and give the throttle just a little turn, the engine seems as if it stops and then goes again. Kind of like it stalls, but doesn't need to be restarted. I'm kind of hoping it's just a simple tune-up kind of thing, which leads me to my next question.

Spark plugs/wires: What store might I be able to go to in person to pick up some supplies? Also, what else would I need for a simple tune-up? plugs, wires, spindle? (not too familiar with imports, so not sure what components I'm going to need), distributor cap?, fuel filter, etc, etc.

Fuel Pump: seems pretty loud. While going down the road I can hear it working. I've heard that it being audible is normal, but at 70mph?

Rear Brake: pad is rubbing on the rotor when I'm not using the brake. Perhaps the caliper just needs some lubrication, i don't know, but wondering if anyone else might offer some tips to correct this. The rotor doesn't appear warped, but when i spin the rear wheel it does make intermittent contact with the brake pads.

Muffler Rattle: Doesn't happen often, just at around 2500rpm or so. Perhaps loose mounts or heat shield? Guess that one's hard to tell with out visuals, just have to look around and figure that out on my own.

I'm sure there's more to come, but just can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks in advance.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Nik, congratulations, you just bought yourself a great bike that is quite easy to maintain!
If you are unaware of what has been done I would always give it a good service (new filters, new oils, new coolant, new sparkplugs) which is all very easy done, also for less technically minded folks. Further renew the brake fluid and if possible the fork oil. Few things to remember - get the right filters (some others will be by here and tell you what/where they get it) and pull the fuel pump, because there is a suction filter that needs to be cleaned. As the fuel pump is in the tank, where the petrol works as a coolant/noise reducer - how full was the tank when you heard the pump? Although when you here it at your speed that could be considered noisy. Maybe that's gone with clean filters? Do note the flow direction for the filter when you fit it. Air filter is a PITA but a bit of a trick. When you're there, give us a shout.
If the original BMW spark plug caps are fitted make sure your new spark plugs have the little bobbins fitte over the threaded ends; the caps need them in place.
Adjustment of cables is wise to do as well. That's for service.
Re running problems - This is one of the first fuel injection bikes and although easy to work on (I think!) there are a few important points. All the signals being used for the FI are electrical and there are some sensors on the bike (also because the speedo is electrical), so making/keeping all connectors clean, particularly the grounds - only two!) is very important. Again, nothing difficult, but if you have done it it takes away a lot of possibilities for problems.
BTW the original BMW manuals are still available (very good info and pictures!) then the Clymer and last the Haynes are worthwhile purchases.
The muffler rattle is probably one of the shield's nutbrackets coming loose from the silencer; standard problem.
There is some good info out there (and on this forum). Have a look at Bert's faultfinding on the portal page, all good stuff.

Let us know how you go?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Engine Hesitation, Among Other Things Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi,
The original BMW manuals are available in print for the K 100 2V so that is good news. The Clymer manual is OK but has some mistakes in. Also the spark plugs you need are non resistor plugs as the resistor is built into the cap (assuming they are original) There is no distributor they have two coils and fire sparks to two cylinders at a time only one of which is on compression.
The bikes are easy to work on but given the age clean every plug and socket with deoxit also the earths under the tank and from the battery.

Fluids and filters is the mantra, change every fluid and every filter on the bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
You could always download a copy of the Haynes manual from the 'Downloads' section on the 'Home' page.
Can't get any cheaper than free!

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum