BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

topgrrr

topgrrr
Hi Guys,

I found this website looking for some insight on troubleshooting some electrical problems on my 91 k100rs. i have owned this guy for 4 years now and absolutely love it. All my friends went with the superbikes hondas, suzukis, etc. Once i found out it was basically a peugot engine, i was sold. i wanted to go with something a little bit different and since i drive a 3 series, i thought this would fit nicely.

Sad to say, it is a bit heavy for my size, ihave dropped it a few times and cracked a few fairings. So im thinking of stripping everything and doing a few mods for a cafe style. I know some of you will hate me for that ! 

Thanks ~!

2Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:14 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard
I guess we all have droped the old k at least once
happy riding

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome mate
they take a bit of getting used to and are unforgiving in car parks and gravel driveways and garage forecourts if you are inattentive. But so nice to be on out on the road.
Crash bars and luggage will ease the fairing damage, and once on you probably won't drop it anymore.
Keep a pictorial going if you are changing it to cafe, there seems to be an underground trend here.
RT

4Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
My K100RS has a Peugeot engine? This is the first time I've ever heard that claim!
I once owned a Peugoet 304 (wonderful car!) but that four-banger was MUCH larger than the engine in my K100RS.

5Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The engine is pure BMW. The myth of a pungent engine came about because they used one in a concept bike before the K100 went to the drawing board.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 pm

I've never dropped mine.
Though there was an awkward moment on the way to Narrandera when I pulled off onto the side of the road and the front end washed out in loose gravel.
I put my foot down.
What a Face

7Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 am

topgrrr

topgrrr
whooops thanks for the clarification Rick G, i guess i read it somewhere and always thought that! im still a k100 noob! thats why i joined to learn more about this brick Very Happy

8Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:I've never dropped mine.

What a Face

But if any one could drop a three wheeler you would be first pick.

9Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 am

Are you lookin fer trouble, Brissie Boy.....?

10Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:welcome aboard
happy riding

I have never dropped mine. While riding.
There was that one unfortunate incident in the garage many years ago

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

11Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
rossko wrote:
charlie99 wrote:welcome aboard
happy riding

I have never dropped mine. While riding.
There was that one unfortunate incident in the garage many years ago

Me either ( knock on wood ) but there was that time in front of the methadone clinic..." hey mate, yes you with the huge dilated pupils, any chance you could help me get this huge lump of Bavarian off of me".....that is when I discovered the famous kamikazi early model side stand.

And of course the wonderful quick disconnect front mirror assemblies....specifically designed for every time your beemer falls over.

Last edited by Klompy the grey brick on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:20 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : remember those toy cars that fell to pieces when you crashed em....they were designed to do that too.)

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

HELLO! i love the k100rs Au-log10

12Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:27 am

wato

wato
I've dropped mine a couple of times pushing it round.

13Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Mines only been over once and I am gonna blame the mud for that and I spoiled a faultless 46 year record which was what pissed me off the most.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

14Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:42 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
RicK G wrote:Mines only been over once and I am gonna blame the mud for that and I spoiled a faultless 46 year record which was what pissed me off the most.

What pissed you off the most was the bloke following behind who saw the whole thing.Laughing

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

15Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
HELLO! i love the k100rs 167893 Yeah and he said he thought about taking a picture to post here but had second thoughts.HELLO! i love the k100rs 167893

16Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Topgrrr! I see you've met some of the inmates who run the assyum.

@ Rick G ....if you're going to drop your K do it on a forecourt with a good audience who cheer.....and applaud when you pick it up back to the saddle style. It's very gratifying - ask me how I know Smile Smile

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

17Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:09 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:Are you lookin fer trouble, Brissie Boy.....?

Your mother was a hamster....

18Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
It's fun when when you lay it over at a popular intersection, and you took your first course of valium the night before.
Don't remember the Doc saying " no driving ", hmmm  , maybe riding is OK!.
and to be offered assistance by two young ladies, well, that just douses the ego.Embarassed
welcome Topgrr, I'm sure you will fit right in mate.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
HELLO! i love the k100rs 10_x_110

19Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:55 am

TacKler wrote:

Nice comeback.........banana-bender-boy! bounce

20Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Colin Howe

Colin Howe
Never dropped mine since rebuild - until two days ago!  The bike went sideways as I was putting it in my workshop and I wasn't strong enough to stop it from hitting the metal bench.  Put a bloody dent in the rear tailpiece and took off a large chunk of my beautiful paintwork.  Aaaaargh!  The air was blue for about ten minutes while I ranted and raved, slammed doors and generally went berserk. HELLO! i love the k100rs 61740   All calm now, though and decided to just touch it up with a reasonable match paint from Halfords, then do a proper repair this winter. santa

I was thinking afterwards it could have been much worse if the bike had gone completely on it's side - could have dented the tank.  Eeeeek!

21Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:
TacKler wrote:

Nice comeback.........banana-bender-boy! bounce

I only live there because it is a lot friggin warmer than where you are.

22Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
TacKler wrote:
Saxon7 wrote:I've never dropped mine.

What a Face

But if any one could drop a three wheeler you would be first pick.

giggles ...nearly fell off da bike when I saw this ...

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

23Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Now I know Charlie is keen on his Beemer but the thought of him sitting on it while typing on the computer is a sight to behold

24Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:12 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
tis ok , the forum has a master Komputa tech on hand for any training and advice.

HELLO! i love the k100rs Sany0210

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
HELLO! i love the k100rs 10_x_110

25Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:16 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
RT wrote:Welcome mate
they take a bit of getting used to and are unforgiving in car parks and gravel driveways and garage forecourts if you are inattentive. But so nice to be on out on the road.
Crash bars and luggage will ease the fairing damage, and once on you probably won't drop it anymore.
Keep a pictorial going if you are changing it to cafe, there seems to be an underground trend here.
RT

First,

Welcome topgrrr.  Good crowd here.

Yeah turned mine over too.
In front of the small town city hall. Side stand issue.
Of course, it was at lunch time and there were more witnesses than I would have preferred. LOL.
Thankfully it is a really small town. Smile

Popped a mirror off and that was it.
Sorta caught it on it's way down.

Hope your repairs/riding go well.

Folks,  Had to go out in the deep woods of Ky. to help at a farm nestled in the hills and woods.  Dear friend had some serious medical issues and I needed to go to take care of her farm and animals.  No questions asked.  Go right now.

On the way there got caught in an almost tornado.....High winds and rain blowing nearly sideways.  Of course had left the rain suit at home Smile
After hiding the bike behind a store out of the wind, (afraid that it would blow over), waiting for the storm to abate, had to negotiate a long not much used farm road...tennis ball sized rock in some places, mud, wet leaves, puddles that had either stone under the water or slick mud, fallen tree limbs that flip up and smack you when going over them. Thankfully was mostly flat road.
Not too much ups and downs.  Was terrified of dropping the thing.  Went about 1/2 K..about a 1/3 of a mile.

Made it fine but was sweating buckets.
Really glad to get where I was going. Smile

Folks should be aware that when negotiating challenging terrain on K100's with panniers....holding one's feet down is good if you don't let them drift back towards the panniers....where they can catch underneath...(basically running over yourself). Smile  Didn't do it....but had a couple of scares.

Jim...on don't do this with your K things...Smile

Last edited by JimK on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total

26Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:56 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
groverK wrote:tis ok , the forum has a master Komputa tech on hand for any training and advice.

HELLO! i love the k100rs Sany0210

Caught me in my man cave...notice the centre/sidestand is lying on the floor and as mine is a 84 it is different to the 86 I am sitting on....hence the pc on the tank...which clearly showed how to connect the clutch linkage to the stand. See the forum open on the screen.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

HELLO! i love the k100rs Au-log10

27Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:01 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol poor man jim ...sounds like fun
went bush bashing one day down south (short story ...brother got lost ..so we thought ..in the back lots quite a few hours overdue at least )
took old gerty up the bush track looking for them ,,,,,real bush tracks ...with foot deep wheel tracks rocks boulders and all ...tar was far behind by about 30 kilometres .....
was going good negotiating steep hills and stuff till a good sized rock threw me off line by about a foot .....right into one of those deep wheel ruts

deep enough for the head- exhaust headers bound on one side and the footpegs - crankcase bound on the other wit the front wheel still in the air

straight over the handle bars (was in second at about 1.5 k revs ) took with me the screen ,,,as I plunged over ....and down a steep soft covered hill of lantana and bush loam ....end over end ..over end
laughing all the way ....(I knew there was no serious damage at all and I could feel that I hadn't broken anything on the way down the hill )
when I eventually stopped tumbling ..and laughing .....geez I thought how is "old gerty" ....did I drop her on her side and bugger something up ...

nup .......there she was still idling away in second gear ...no wheels on the ground pretty much ...the back wheel rotating happily ...and all
she was stuck fast in that hole by the engine .

when I could get back up the hill ...(took a long time climbing through lantana and soft loam ) I though I better turn her off so she didnt over heat .

dug her out and kept on going .......tied the screen to the rear of the saddle (hocky straps are great eh ?)

couldn't find the lost ones (brother and mate on ktm s.)..but had fun looking ...

nice to hear some folks get a little adventurous

thumbs up

28Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Charlie, Folks,

Thanks for the send.
What a Hoot!...30k from the road?!...laughing ?! :)LOL

Pretty funny and great that folks half a globe away from each other can have fun with K's, the riding, and life in general

Regards,
J

Last edited by JimK on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

29Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:38 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us just look at what a simple hello from you started with reminiscences about past expeditions.
Regards,
K-BIKE

30Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome Topgrr, great forum. I'm yet to drop mine, but sure tests your gux out at full revs in topgear. Re peagot engine, only in the protoype to test the concept, she's all Beeema its true, so many parts, seem to hang in formotion though. Have fun.

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

31Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty almost 10 years later ....update. Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:19 pm

topgrrr

topgrrr
HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_5911HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_5912

HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_5913
HHere it is. A general summary of work done: 

Chopped the rear frame, put a cafe racer style seat, custom leather seat with a gel pad from the states which was used with double foam for the cushion. 

Clip on handle bars, with LED signal lights at the end. 

Reused the factory temp gauge and gas gauges with custom mounts. 

5" 3/4 LED Headlight 

LED STRIP Brake light 

Cleaned up alot of the old wiring. 

New front pads, new grommets( air inlet bushings ) 

still have a list of things to do.

My racer buddy tells me atleast once a month  "It used to be such a nice bike" HAHA.  Laughing
Also, heres a little treat made with my drone video of my racer buddy riding it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFeGT_D6og

32Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty more pics Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:26 pm

topgrrr

topgrrr
HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_3510
HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_3511HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_5710

New 5 3/4 inch light and bottom body fairing attached. 
HELLO! i love the k100rs Img_5914

33Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:58 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Hello. I had mine 3 weeks before  I dropped it in the shed. Had to get the neighbor to come help me pick it up. Very humbling experience.

34Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 am

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member

It looks like you're west of Turner Valley in that video, no?

35Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:35 pm

topgrrr

topgrrr
RS Rider wrote:

Im not sure but i believe thats still in turner valley, i believe we were trying to go to Sheep river falls . beautiful area for a ride.

36Back to top Go down   HELLO! i love the k100rs Empty Re: HELLO! i love the k100rs Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:02 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
topgrrr wrote:
RS Rider wrote:

Im not sure but i believe thats still in turner valley, i believe we were trying to go to Sheep river falls . beautiful area for a ride.

Yes it is! Was out that way yesterday and heading out that way again today.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum