BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Fork filling minus mess Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
If you have one close enough, pop into a vets that deals with large animals and ask for a 100ml syringe:
Fork filling minus mess 100ml-plastic-syringe-954-p

you can probably buy them online too.

But the other thing you can get while at the vets is a stiff straw that fits onto the end.

Together they make refilling a doddle. pull the plunger out and rest the stiff straw in the fork so the syringe is propped up. pour in 100cc, refit the plunger and push the oil into the fork. repeat until desired quantity is inside.

A bit will dribble down while you are filling but if the straw is the same as mine travel down the tube by gravity only is negligible.

clean off oil from syringe if you want to try to use it again as the rubber will probably swell otherwise and make sure you connect the straw and syringe tightly....

2Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Der Ziegelstein

Der Ziegelstein
That's a great idea! I use an old restaurant style ketchup bottle with some tubing. I bought it at Wal-mart for about $1.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Dispense-Bottle/14964974

2004 R1150RT "Dunkle Ruβ"

3Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:41 am

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
I'd go for a funnel, especially when using heavier weight fluids. Syringes have too small an exit, and you end up using long time to squeeze.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

4Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Me too. A small funnel with a piece of plastic tube. The tube means that there's no spillage and allows the funnel to be some distance from the filler.

Fork filling minus mess K1%20BMW%20%28325%29-L

But each to his own.

5Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:48 am

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
Each to their own indeed. the advantage with a syringe is that the graduations allow you to measure and plunging it in is quicker than waiting for gravity.

6Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You need to be careful using a syringe. If you push the nozle into the hole too tight then as you squirt the oil in you can put some pressure in the fork and as soon as you remove the syringe out comes some oil. Big mess and you don't know just how much is still in there so you need to start over. Don't ask.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 pm

ARTCOLLINSJR

ARTCOLLINSJR
Silver member
Silver member
The forks take fluid?

8Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty I sub.. Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I just fill a bathtub full of fork oil and submerge the whole front end in it till the air bubbles stop coming out.
The ride seems a little on the stiff side, but I'm hoping that will dissipate after the new oil breaks in.
Reagards, Ibj...

9Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:13 pm

I use one of these.

Fork filling minus mess Forkoil

10Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ibjman wrote:I just fill a bathtub full of fork oil and submerge the whole front end in it till the air bubbles stop coming out.
The ride seems a little on the stiff side, but I'm hoping that will dissipate after the new oil breaks in.
Reagards, Ibj...

Tried that and got kicked outa the house to sleep with the bike, least it don't snore.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:02 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
yeah IBJMAN i'm onto it a bath in the shed, less need to go inside the house! cool wish i had thought of that, I could camp in my shed but it seems I got abit of catching up to measure up with you blokes as I got no toot or bath. must start plannin. Wonder what the council would make of it. Hey maybe I'll stick a second letterbox out the front too. Any other sheds got a letterbox?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

12Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good tip Johnser and for those with thick oil running a drill up the inside to the syringe nozzle allows you to open it up a bit.
Regards,
K-BIKE

13Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 am

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
RobinW wrote:I use one of these.

That thing is the one - get it all in there and measured accurately in one go

14Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member

I knew VB must be good for something!

15Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:50 am

Fork filling minus mess 3

mmmm .. lunch Smile

16Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:38 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Another option is to heat the oil so it is thinner. No I don't mean mad hot but I imagine given some of the K bikes are surely used in temperatures up to 40c heating oil to that temperature or even to 50c would be safe enough. 5W oil would flow a little more easily. Large syringe is good idea but the funnel was always my method before the K. I have to do the RT front end seals and bearings so probably do it all while I have the stanchions off. It does look awkward access with the fairing in place.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

17Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
This is my 'budget' version 92KK, a washing-up liquid bottle with a plastic tube sealed into the cap.
I filled it with 360cc of water, using the measuring jug from the kitchen, and marked the level as shown.
(Yes, I made sure it was completely dry before using it!)

I then just fill with oil to the mark and squidge it into the fork leg.

(I suppose you could sit the bottle in some hot water if you wanted the oil to flow quicker)

Fork filling minus mess Sam_0711

Paul.

18Back to top Go down   Fork filling minus mess Empty Re: Fork filling minus mess Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:This is my 'budget' version 92KK, a washing-up liquid bottle with a plastic tube sealed into the cap.
I filled it with 360cc of water, using the measuring jug from the kitchen, and marked the level as shown.
(Yes, I made sure it was completely dry before using it!)

I then just fill with oil to the mark and squidge it into the fork leg.

(I suppose you could sit the bottle in some hot water if you wanted the oil to flow quicker)

Fork filling minus mess Sam_0711

Paul.
 I use a coke bottle like this, but I put a small hole in the bottom for a tek screw. Take the screw out when its upside down and it flows much better.
Phil

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum