Anyone seen one of these before? 

Thoughts?

Anyone recognise this aftermarket shock? Shock_11

Anyone recognise this aftermarket shock? Shock_12

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Progressive suspension are a US company the shocks are a medium price medium performance but the postage times and delivery have been VERY ordinary the last few years.
Dont know if you can rebuild but there are lots around that are better like the RAM SHOX http://www.realmengineering.com/page15.html

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Progressive suspension are a US company the shocks are a medium price medium performance but the postage times and delivery have been VERY ordinary the last few years.
Dont know if you can rebuild but there are lots around that are better like the RAM SHOX http://www.realmengineering.com/page15.html
Cheers Rick you legend you!

Anyway to determine if its rebuildable (other then taking it to the shock man)?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Quite likely could rebuild most of those type you can.
But whatever you do don't get an IKON they are NOT anywhere the quality that came from KONI. They are JUNK

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
JMHO: Throw it away or recycle the metal.  Not worth rebuilding.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:JMHO: Throw it away or recycle the metal.  Not worth rebuilding.
Rather harsh. I thought they were reasonable mid-range sort of shock. What are you basing your comment on? Cost of a new shock, the price to refurbish the existing one? And comparison to what? I'm willing to believe there are better. But does the OP feel like spending to replace it?
Progressive Shocks

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:
duck wrote:JMHO: Throw it away or recycle the metal.  Not worth rebuilding.
Rather harsh. I thought they were reasonable mid-range sort of shock. What are you basing your comment on? Cost of a new shock, the price to refurbish the existing one? And comparison to what? I'm willing to believe there are better. But does the OP feel like spending to replace it?
Progressive Shocks
My sentiments exactly....

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
What would be a ball park figure to have a shock like this rebuilt in one of Oz's capital cities?

Also, would you get a decent shock for around $400? Or is that unrealistic. What are some brands people recommend for a middle of the road shock?

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
floyd_of_oz wrote:What would be a ball park figure to have a shock like this rebuilt in one of Oz's capital cities?

Also, would you get a decent shock for around $400? Or is that unrealistic. What are some brands people recommend for a middle of the road shock?
Don't know about Oz. And I would definitely go that direction if prices are in the same vicinity. But I vaguely remember that several years ago, one of our club members, who worked or had worked for Progressive in their shop, describing their system.  And I'm sure prices have gone in the usual direction (UP) but I'm guessing under USD $200 to have one refurbished. But I'd e-mail them and ask and then balance prices and uncertainties about shipping out of country.

Also, I'd check ebay and price new and kind of work up an idea of how much it's worth? I'm thinking a refurbishment of a known  shock that didn't cost more than 1/2 the price of new would be acceptable maybe with shipping included.  I had another shock done this past year and it was $156 total.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Give this guy a go Floyd he has been doing the K shocks for ages and around $200 from memory
http://www.radmotorcycleshockyrepairs.com.au/

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks once again RickG.

Have emailed the bloke and the quote was in the region of $200.

Now the ohlins bug has bitten me......

Is this sucker worth $700? 

Anyone recognise this aftermarket shock? 9wqp-r11

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Ohlins are very good. I've used them on other bikes but the prices and the service costs (which they do need despite their premium prices) are not worth it on a K when RAM by Realm Engineering is as good for a fraction of the price. You just don't get the 'cool bling' factor with RAM (but the reason why many ride K-Series is that they don't appear 'cool' - even though they are so 'cool' as to be sub-zero  Wink ).

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
No shock absorber is worth $700 let alone the $1300 that the greedy bastards want for a new one.
They're big and yellow and they stand out so that is worth $500 to ohlins and everybody has one so there is another $500 and we have a $300 shockie for $1300
Get a RAM

I heard the rear shocky on Smithy's bike cost $3500 new  affraid

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The WP I had were $1700 when I bought one for $500 and the RAM I put on the K100 before I sold it was a much better shockie for road work.
If someone paid $3500 for any shockie they have been ripped off.

WP?

Floyd, I've had 3 rear shocks rebuild by RAD. All came up nicely but he doesn't pretty them up with new paint etc, He just fixes the busted bits. If the internal main shaft is rusty then it needs to be re hard chromed and he does that on site for an additional $50. I've never had to have that done.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I've got 'big yellow springs' at both ends of my Oilhead RT. After the past 26,000 miles in 14 months of riding it, day in, day out, commuting and solo or with pillion touring, I'd be hard pressed to go back to a basic OEM shock again. They simply work very well. I didn't havta pay US$1800+ the pair for them. The P.O. did. But I'm very glad he did.

Of course, there are heaps of other competent shockies out there. My K100RS has an Italian-made Bitubo out the back. Aside from being slightly over sprung for my weight, it has 'infinite' preload adjustment and a damping knob which actually works, and it's made the bike do as I ask when in the twisty bits. I paid about AU$500 for it two years ago. It too was worth it.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I had Ohlins on my 1150GSA and I paid the small fortune asked but I used that bike for a lot of rough off-road stuff and they were worth the money. Compared to the standard units, they had far more adjustment but most important for off road work, they were more compliant - they recovered from compression and rebound faster than the stock items. That's important when traction and control are on the edge.

When I sold that bike, the Ohlins and their service records helped me get a premium price for it.

I'd have happily bought something cheaper had the performance been as good, that's why I'd buy RAM for a K again.

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
RobinW wrote:I heard the rear shocky on Smithy's bike cost $3500 new  affraid
Hey Robin the WP shock was on my bike when I bough it, with the WP manual and receipts . there's no way I would've  paid that much for a shock but I'm glad I've got it. The ride we did through the tablelands with my wife on the back is just proof of how good that shock is , I had to keep reminding myself that Kay was on the back, even in the greasy conditions at the top of the Gibraltar range I didn't back off as the bike just handles well . Its not just the adjustment these shocks have , it's that the adjustments work really well giving you much better rebound and less wallowing in corners. It builds confidence even two up.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Eh Smithy , your bike looks familiar , did you buy it in Victoria ?

JR

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
JR my  rs had been in Australia as an import for over 15 years , but never registered here until I bought it from the Gold Coast, with a mere 24,000 ks on the clock.
 The head of Mitsubishi Australia was going back to Japan and he wasn't taking all his toys ,

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Seeing as how MikeP mentioned it....

My current plan is to make a bit of a K100GS. and I dont mean like these blokes that put motocross forks on and try and make it LOOK like a GS. I guess im going for something more like the original GS's - take the road going model, strip all the 'unnecessary' bits off to prevent damage when dropped etc, and give it a tad more off road ability then it previously had. And Im using basically wrecked bikes to make this contraption, so there will be no sacrilegious demolishing of a perfectly fine K or 3, so fear not gentlemen. 

My wife works in international development, and is about to study a masters in the subject, after which she will be sent off to some far flung place in Africa or Asia. And Im going to ride there. If she has the time, she will come as well, if not, ill meet her there Wink

Sooo, considering ill be doing a bit of off road (by off road I mean dirt roads, fire trails, etc, nothing to wild or to motocrossy) would this influence the choice (ie. brand) of rear shock, or simply the way the particular shock is set up?

Based on everyones comments here, and the price of the RAM shocks, thats the current direction Im leaning toward. So if I mention all the above to the manufacturer, they would be able to set it up for me in an appropriate 'semi-dual sport' type manner?

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Smithy , sorry about the thread hijack , I'll shut up now

JR

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Floyd-of-oz you could also try Gazi shocks Australia  www.gazisuspension.com/   They will manufacture shocks for any need or bike, I've heard that race teams that had been using ohlins & WP for off road & track now prefer Gazi ! might be worth a try. A lot of the GS guys are starting to use Gazi.

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
JR_K100RS wrote:Thanks Smithy , sorry about the thread hijack , I'll shut up now

JR

is that a silver RS?...then you are special ...

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Anyone recognise this aftermarket shock? Au-log10

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Columbia Silver ( 616 ? ) engine bars & White power shock , my bike's brother had that equipment , agree Mr Klompy great colour !

JR

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum