BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 am

aeronut7

aeronut7
hi all...was out checking my tyre pressures this morning and I noticed the right hand crashbars
were not attached at the bottom.on closer inspection I can see there rubber mounted to a plate
attached the the block....ive had a look on motorworks and they sell the plate needed...
as a quick fix could I glue it back together with a 2 part epoxy glue....
both atachments have come off but is still held on the top ok...

2Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty Re: rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have found that with rubber you are best to clean the surfaces with acetone and use superglue on them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty Re: rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:01 am

aeronut7

aeronut7
ok tried it but it didn't work...new one ordered hopefully here tomorrow...
its been the first day it hasn't rained here for about a week and was gonna use it for work today
never mind also realised I got a slow puncture on the front...

4Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty Re: rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If it's under about 15°C the superglue wont work.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty Re: rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 am

aeronut7

aeronut7
cheers rick was quite badly perished so after trying epoxy and it falling apart again ive ordered a new one from motorworks...in stock and being posted today.now I got to decide what to do with slow puncture.
might just use that spray foam.i wont be using the bike much from now cos getting colder here and as I normally finigh work about 2am and travel country roads I wont be risking it much

6Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty Re: rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 am

aeronut7

aeronut7
and yes its about 7deg here at the moment...getting down to freezing point some nights...

7Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty rubber mounted crash bars Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:22 am

Dale S

Dale S
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Aeronut,
 I had the same problem a few months back .When I purchased Big Red
I trailered her home using straps on the crash bars and through the frame at the back. When we got home the bar was flopping by the top mount. I got a new one from the dealer for a reasonable sum, and a few
days later managed to grind off the forward nut on a curb in a parking lot during a sharp turn!
(not sharp enough I guess!).
Dale.rubber mounted crashbars Icon_twisted

8Back to top Go down   rubber mounted crashbars Empty Re: rubber mounted crashbars Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 pm

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
aeronut7 wrote:
never mind also realised I got a slow puncture on the front...
Before you go splashing out on new tyres you should check the valves. If you have the screw in metal valves they have a tendency leak where the "rubber" seal breaks up with age/alloy crud build-up.

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum