BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   bmw k100rs Empty bmw k100rs Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:15 pm

tufty666

tufty666
hi everybody. had my rs in dads kitchen 4  2 weeks and still got no spark. i really need some help as iv done all i can, with no joy. symptoms. started 2 cut out,rev counter flickered, all the ignition side of the lights also went out. next day, started fine. did 2 miles then stopped again. got it home on the truck, and then started fine again.took tank off and wiggled wires, but bike would not die. then seemed 2 find fault. the 5pin connector from the hall sensors. wiggle it hard and no change. but tap the connector with a pencil lightly, and the fault occured.engine died. press starter,ran fine again,  tap ever so lightly the connector and it stalls spluttered and died.  i cut the wires and made 5 solder joints, well insulated,and now have no spark at all.  changed hall sensors twice, changed ecu and fi box, still no spark.  with hs disconnected, i get a reading of 12v on the red wire and also 5v on the orange and brown wires. with hs plugged in, i lose the 5v on the orange wire on both replacement hs units.  fuel pump ok, cleaned all live and earth points i could find, cleaned ignition switcg and kill switch.  changed alternator and starter motor brushes.  am i missing something simple, or do we think hs units.  auto electrician said he could not detect a pulse from the orange side of hs unit.  would 2  2nd hand hs units both b faulty?   if i had 2 guess, i would go 4 a  live  or earth fault,  as the supplier of the hs unit tested them b4 posting.  i would like 2 say the next post i send will b full of good news. lets hope so.  cheers

2Back to top Go down   bmw k100rs Empty Re: bmw k100rs Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:59 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
As I understand it, the problem usually is that the wiring to the HES breaks down, thus you then get short circuits. Have you inspected the sheathing near to the connector that you were tapping to recreate the fault.

Mike

3Back to top Go down   bmw k100rs Empty k100rs Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 pm

tufty666

tufty666
thanks 4 reply.  iv tried everything.  every wire, every connection ect ect.  cant get it 2 spark at all. checked plugs, coils, leads, battery.i do seem 2 b loosing voltage somewere though,  12.5v  in and out of ignition switch connection but only 11.3v at starter switch and 11.5v at starter relay. the clutch switch has been taken off.  2 blk/green wires.  1 wire comes from a bunch that have 12.5v, the other has 11.3v.if u join them,  u get 12.5v 2 the starter switch and relay.   my main concern is the hs unit and the feed 2 it from the ecu. cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum