BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Choke light coming on with no choke? Empty Choke light coming on with no choke? Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 am

ltisz

ltisz
Something I've noticed going on in the last few weeks is that my choke light will come on when I start the bike regardless of whether or not I have the choke lever activated or not. If I nudge the choke lever just enough to turn the light on and then flip it back off, the light will go off but there's maybe a 25% chance of it coming back on in the next 5 minutes.

Could it just be a loose connection somewhere? Or is it a sign of something more insidious?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The choke lamp switch connects to ground when activated.
It looks like you got a short to ground before the switch, or the switch itself.

The switch you find at the rear end of the throttle bodies, in front of the TPS.
The connector you find on the left side under the tank.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sounds like the adjustment is a bit tight on the cable.  Back off the adjustment at the #4 throttle body next to the throttle position switch and see how it goes or the switch may be dirty and sticking a bit and need a squirt of WD40 and a workout.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The choke light switch looks just like your clutch switch, and the front and rear brake lamp switch.........then you know what to look for.

And I believe that Rick is closest to the correct solution for the problem.
Note to self, read the whole post..before answering.

ltisz

ltisz
Hey all, thanks for your suggestions, I checked everything out that you mentioned and it all seemed OK so I was still stumped for a while but I think I've gotten to the bottom of it now. My instrument cluster was fogging up terribly one day which rarely happens (I have the venting mod done) and the overheat light came on which was worrisome. Turns out the rubber seal on the little door between the wire terminal and the outside world was loose, combined with some wet weather must have been causing some electrical weirdness in there. I got it seated properly and I haven't had a light come on when it shouldn't be on since. I guess it's a lesson to check the simplest and easiest thing first!

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Seems we all like to jump past the simple and obvious.   Amazing how many times a bike won't start because the run/stop switch in in the stop position and the rider never checks or notices.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum