BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 18 of 18]

851Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:21 am

floyd

Life time member
Life time member
Ok, still havnt got rego....but ive got time, and its raining, and The Beast shall never be 'finished'

Im back at my old stomping ground - in the shed at Mum's place; with all Dads tools (minus some the brothers have LOST!!); with the benches me and Dad made when I was 12; on the bike stand my Grandpa made before I was born Wink

Throughly cleaned the beast and stripped it right down (tank, fairing, seat, ducktail all off) in preparation for a few days work.

Got the back end completely off in a couple of hours.

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Worksh10

There was a fair bit of clutch dust (is that normal?) But no signs of oil form the rear main seal - which is to be expected as I replaced it a-year-and-a-bit ago (30,000kms) but still nice Wink

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Clutch10

There was a little bit of moly-lube slung out from the clutch splines so I added a bit less this time - a new tube arrived in the post last night to replace the one I lost in all my moves. 

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Spline10

I didnt remove the clutch as I was a bit unsure of whether of not Id have to replace the bolts - and I didnt have any. And I figured the main output splines would be fine for now.

All the other splines in the drive line showed no signs of wear since I put the beast together more than 30,000kms ago - at least to  my eye/memory - so thats nice. 

So with all splines lubed, all parts cleaned - the back end goes back on and its now time for the front....

Once the forks were out, I could feel pretty massive notching in the steering head bearings (the mechanic that did my rego check was right. I myself couldn't feel any notching when the front end was on). How many kms should they last I wonder? I got 30,000 but never adjusted them throughout that time. I think maybe they were to loose and wore excessively. 

Now I've realised my front discs are .5mm under spec min-thickness.....so my options are 
- to fit a new tire (to pass rego) to an 18" front wheel Im not going to use for much longer (as i plan on eventually fitting the 19" GS wheel I have); 
- OR by used K1100 rotors and use the K1100 18"er for another year (with new tyre for rego); 
- OR buy new rotors for the 19" GS wheel and get an axle modified and dive straight into that.....
hmmmm....funds are tight so I might buy used K1100 rotors and stick with that for another year (or until I wear out the front tire)....

Anyways....loving my time delving back into the world of K! Wink

852Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Oh!!! And I Almost forgot the most exciting item to report!

I replaced the clutch cable - after inspecting the clutch arm and determining that the shaft was not in any way seized in the bearings, and that the arm moved very freely. Now, it no doubt needs a new shaft and new bearings....but I decided that the stiff clutch problem does not lie in the clutch arm bearings....

I decided it was the cable - which, even though new a year ago and of the 'feather light' variety, was sufficiently kinked to make it a real stubborn bastard to use. Now, it became kinked due to some crazy routing and mucking around with my stereo box mounted using the bar risers, and the 'bark busters'. the cable was routed using some fairly sharp angles which in hind sight were silly. 

Anyways....new cable was ordered from Munich Motorcycles (it turned out to be a Venhill featherlight even though the webpage does not say this) and it turned up the very next day - all the way from WA.

Fitted, adjusted, and baby - its smooth as silk. yum yum and hooooray.

853Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Very posh looking Workshop Floyd. I would love to have a bit of space like that to strip down my moto! If you are doing the head bearings take a long look at Chris Harris' videos on youtube - Between the swearing and distractions there are some great tips. Getting the collars out of the head was a dawdle after using his tip of sticking the welder to them for a few seconds. That and the new ones in a bag in the freezer (the bag is optional as a protection against pissing off others in the household!  Laughing) work a treat and it's rewarding job. Good to see you back at it.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

854Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:39 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
88KE wrote:Very posh looking Workshop Floyd. I would love to have a bit of space like that to strip down my moto! If you are doing the head bearings take a long look at Chris Harris' videos on youtube - Between the swearing and distractions there are some great tips. Getting the collars out of the head was a dawdle after using his tip of sticking the welder to them for a few seconds. That and the new ones in a bag in the freezer (the bag is optional as a protection against pissing off others in the household!  Laughing) work a treat and it's rewarding job. Good to see you back at it.

It is sooo bloody nice to be in a workshop. Although the house is occupied by a younger brother who imagines he is a gun mechanic too - unfortunately he never inherited my fathers workshop tidiness and respect for tools (particularly putting them back - but also using the right tool for the right job). Gotta crack the whip!

Ive found Chris Harris vids to be very useful - mostly to build confidence on certain jobs back when I first started on the K. He could certainly use a good editor though Wink
Although the steering head vids you mention to have some good general tips - I have a K1100 front end which uses a different adjustment system that Ive only just gotten my head around. 

Got the head bearings done yesterday with no dramas. Ive never had a problem knocking the races out using an old skinny fork tube as a drift. I put the new races in the freezer (no bag needed - my brothers are filthy and wouldnt mind - but also brand new races are nice and clean).

Biggest issue was getting the lower bearing off the stem. Couldnt get it off with a chisel and I cut a groove into it with an angle grinder and then used that groove to get purchase with a cold chisel and off she came. 

I only ordered 1 new dust cover so I re used an old one.

Recovering the seat today and then hopefully off to get rego finally.

855Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:15 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
spines lubed
steering head bearings replaced
seat covered (poorly - will have to do it again eventually)
new clutch cable
new front tyre (Hiedenau K60)
broken indicator replaced
exhaust polished (a bit)
everything cleaned, checked, tightened, lubed
a million little things that add up to make big big differences.

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 11219415_10153736548513594_2074216331933902947_n

856Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
woohoo !!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

857Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:27 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Well done son!

Beastly tyres!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

858Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:57 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:spines lubed
steering head bearings replaced
seat covered (poorly - will have to do it again eventually)
new clutch cable
new front tyre (Hiedenau K60)
broken indicator replaced
exhaust polished (a bit)
everything cleaned, checked, tightened, lubed
a million little things that add up to make big big differences.

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 11219415_10153736548513594_2074216331933902947_n
Buffalo Soldier

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 K-dogs10

859Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:30 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Good to see your K  getting back on the road , and you fit enough to ride again.
Feel free to give it a test ride to Guyra later this month for the Tablelands ride.
Good luck with the rego mate.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

860Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:43 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers all.

Thanks Smithy, reckon ill have to join you gents for the ride/meet up. Depends on getting some work between now and then - as my year with out work is certainly taking its financial toll. 

Finally got rego yesterday. Ill never go back to that bike shop. They treated me like a second class citizen for riding an old K bike I think. 
Among other things - yesterday morning I called and made a booking for the re-inspection at 9.30am. I turned up 10 mins early - only to be told the mechanic had just left on a test ride. He would be 30mins I was told. OK no drama, ill have a coffee and come back. He ended up being gone for an hour and 45 mins. I had a job interview to go to after so was fairly pissed off to say the least. Anyways, once he got back it took 5 mins to check that yes, I have in fact recovered the seat, and yes I have in fact reinstalled the front wheel that they had fitted a new tyre too....blue slip in hand I headed to dept of roads, I pays me money, I gets me QLD number plate. happy days.

Took the beast for a 150km jaunt through Woombye, Monteville, Mapleton, Obi Obi, Kennilworth, Malaney, etc. Good fun and the beast performed admirably. Nice to have a clutch that pulls easily.

I must say - I have grown to strongly dislike the TPS on the K100. Piece of primitive shit. Without it the bike is so much easier and smoother to ride - particularly slowly and also in turns, but also when shifting. 

New front tyre and new (and properly adjusted) steering head bearings has transformed the steering from my last memories of it. Was scraping my boots in turns more than I ever have. 
Funny how you adjust your riding to poorly performing components (such as head bearings) to the point where you think its normal - and then you go and replace them and its like a brand new bike. 

Probably shouldn't mention this but I will anyway - hit 200 for the first time today Wink

Normally I get back from a ride with a list of things to tweak or improve - today its only 1 thing - HOT FUEL. In this 30+ deg. celsius weather the fuel and tank heats up to what must be just under boiling point in only about 15 mins....so a fuel cooler is quickly becoming a MUST DO MOD for me.

Cheers gang. good to be back on the tools and back in the saddle.

861Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:23 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Found an old, basic cylinder compression tester today in the shed. 

Just has a (cracked and old) pointy rubber 'nipple' on the end for forcing into the spark plug hole. 

With WOT and a warm engine I got between 920 - 980 kpa (133 - 142 psi) on all cylinders.

Within the 'normal' range. yippee!

My engine is from 1984 and has around 250,00kms on it Wink

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 MWUOc8JMng4J6ze-7J7glcw

862Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:15 am

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Can't figure why I would have got 13 to 14.5 bar (g) on a '92 Corolla with 320000km on the motor (did it with closed throttle - stupid me).

Are you talking about a reading after only one compression stroke Floyd?

863Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
rawdonball wrote:Can't figure why I would have got 13 to 14.5 bar (g) on a '92 Corolla with 320000km on the motor (did it with closed throttle - stupid me).

Are you talking about a reading after only one compression stroke Floyd?

Gday mate,

Heres what I did:

1) Went for a ride to warm the engine up.

2) took out the plugs

3) disconnected the fuel tank electrical connection (so no fuel gets pumped)

4) jammed the tester into the 1st cylinder

5) got my brother to hold open the throttle and hit the starter for about 5 - 10 seconds

6) removed the tester and took a reading.

7) Repeat with other cylinders

When I tried it the other day the engine was cold and I didnt use any throttle. Got readings of about half what I quoted above.

864Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:16 am

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Floyd

I did mine with a cold engine - guess some manufacturers quote specs for hot and some for cold!

One of these days I'll do both on one motor and see what effect it has.

By the way - I'm enjoying those Heidenau semi off road tyres you put me onto...

Cheers

865Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:22 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
rawdonball wrote:Thanks Floyd

I did mine with a cold engine - guess some manufacturers quote specs for hot and some for cold!

One of these days I'll do both on one motor and see what effect it has.

By the way - I'm enjoying those Heidenau semi off road tyres you put me onto...

Cheers

Pleasure mate

Glad you are liking the Heidenau's. Just got a brand spanking new front fitted. 

Ive only used these dual sport tyres on the K, so have no frame of reference regarding a comparison to road rubber - but im constantly amazed at how much grip they have on the road. happy days Wink

866Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Great to hear you're back on the road floyd

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

867Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
+1

good to hear Floyd

if at all possible head off to the Guyra meet ...many solid and friendly folks should be there

I have the Friday (20th )  off work ...if you want a travelling companion ...I guess ill be heading off from south west brissy  10 ish ...but if advice  is received  could delay a little for a welcome traveller ...if need be ...the trip is about 4.5- 5 hours  travelling time from here  depending on stops and fellow travellers .

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

868Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:10 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
May be heading down myself charlie, depending on work commitments. Won't know till just a few days before. Could meet you guys at Tenterfield.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

869Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:25 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers Charlie.

Not to sure if ill be able to make it at this stage....am currently flat broke and funemployed.

Theres also a gig on the 21st I have tickets too....so I think im unfortunately going to miss out on this ride ;(

870Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:52 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
The ever versatile K100!

My brother and I taking some inspiration from my the motorcycle/scooter riders of South East Asia Wink

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 P1000510

871Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Now just remember not to do any lane splitting.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

872Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:31 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I was just thinking; if he puts a few propeller blades on those wheels, gets his brother to sit backwards on the K and work like hell at the pedals, would he go any faster?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

873Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:41 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:I was just thinking; if he puts a few propeller blades on those wheels, gets his brother to sit backwards on the K and work like hell at the pedals, would he go any faster?

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 44271

874Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:07 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:I was just thinking; if he puts a few propeller blades on those wheels, gets his brother to sit backwards on the K and work like hell at the pedals, would he go any faster?
Yes, as long as the blades aren't set for reverse thrust.  Shocked

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

875Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
OTOH he could just fit windmill arms and attach a wee generator for a campsite battery. Make your own bread while you're riding along.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

876Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:29 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Can I get an opinion on these please gents? NB: there are 4 pics, but only 2 plugs depicted. 

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 P1000511

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 P1000512

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 P1000513

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 P1000514

877Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:36 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Shows an engine in fairly good health to me, maybe using a little oil. Bear in mind that since the advent of unleaded fuels it is difficult to get a good mixture reading on a plug.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

878Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:31 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
What Rick says. I wouldn't think twice about those.

879Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:53 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
cheers gents. I thought they looked good, based on online pics - but ive actually got zero experience 'reading' plugs.

:afro:

880Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Mon May 02, 2016 3:05 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
The Green Beast.....Now with added Paralever!

Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 P1000910

Handles like a bloody dream! Very 'neutral' and solid. The steering geometry was obviously off - using a monolever rear with the longer 1100 forks and larger front wheel....now its back to how it should be...

Plus - the 1100 gearbox has about 150,000kms less than my K100 unit....its much much smoother Wink

881Back to top Go down   Around the World On a K100 - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the World On a K100 Mon May 02, 2016 3:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
woohooo

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum