BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
I'm trying to decide whether to keep my bike, or get something else.

Very briefly, the insurance company is offering US$2500 for my bike, or alternate compensation of US$2000 if I decide to keep it. 

I'd like to hear from people on this. My decision will come after this weekend, and I've not made up my mind just yet.

The long story is, I paid US$3000 for it three years ago. It was in good working order, but cosmetically a mess. A minor dent in the tank, scratches on tank, rear clip, mirrors, panniers, etc. The paint job is over 25 years old and looks it. Needless to say I've done the best I could with wax's, touch-up paint, etc.

The latest problem came about about one month ago when my landlord knocked the bike over in the driveway (on his riding lawnmower), cracking the lower right faring. Top that off; the tank, pannier, and rear clip were showered with sprinkles of battery acid. Seems I had a new battery that spilled acid, and that became wipped-up by the motorcycle cover flapping in the breeze.

The bike is fully loaded, with every possible option one could want. Still, it's a cosmetic disaster, and $2,000 is not going to cover getting it back to anything close to "nice." A full paint job will realistically run in the range of $4000-6000, and that doesn't include powder coating the engine and other components.

The offer of $2,500 is very generous. An '86 in relatively good condition probably wouldn't bring $2,500 on the market today. So, if I pass on this offer, I'm basically stuck with the bike for the long haul. Although, I'm already prepared for this as I've stockpiled a ton of good parts including; motor, transmission, and rear end. As it stands today, the bike has probably never run better since when it was new. and should give good service for probably 3-5 more years.

After reading some of TWB's posts, I'm been considering an 1100, 1200, or 1300 model. Now, here is my chance to upgrade. I could take some of the good parts off my bike; tri-spoke rims, tuned headers, gunfighter seat, safety bars, etc. and sell them for around $1000-$1500. That would give me $3500-$4000 to play with. I'd like another sports touring machine, something with fatter tires, good looking faring, etc. Then, I'd add a set of headers and other light modifications, and probably be back on the road next year for all-told around $5000.

My only concern is that I'm giving up a good-running '85 K100 (75K miles on the clock). The insurance company will turn it over to a wrecker for $500. So, it'll go to the scrap heap, and I feel bad about that.

So, let me know what you think. Keep the K100, or not.

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
depends on ambitions aj

for some it would be an easy solution to strip it back a little .(with the lowers off etc  maybe even café to a degree ) and take the 2000

to put towards another project . given that everything else is sweet (no bent forks ...subframe etc )

just my thoughts  as you already know what you've got and got it running well ...there has to be some pride in that, after all

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I'm with Charlie. If you sit and watch the targets (craiglist, ebay) for long enough, items always come up at stupid low prices. Of course, that really depends on how badly the insurance money is burning a hole in your pocket What a Face and whether you can live without that bike for a while. You do have an alternative mount, yes?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Hi AJ,

It's always a tough call. There's sentimental value in the old K's, but when it comes to accident damage, it doesn't take much to put them beyond economical repair and sometimes, sadly, you just got to walk away - or end up investing a fortune in restoring her to her former glory.

I had a collision with a car this time last year and my '90 K100 was deemed an insurance write off - a lot of fairing damage, destroyed pannier and Z mount, right hand engine bar torn off, destroyed top box, a nasty score in the right front fork stanchion and a coolant leak from the rad. The car drivers insurers accepted liability and offered me £1100 (~$1700) for the bike or £1000 cash (~$1565) and I get to keep the wreck for salvage. I only paid £740 (~$1160) for the bike a year and a half earlier, but had spent time and money on her stripping her down and respraying the tank and fairings, as well as replacing expensive bits like the brake discs and exhaust. I opted for the cash plus savage deal and, keeping the old bike as a donor bike, went out an bought myself a '91 K100 for £900 (~$1400). The tyres alone were worth more than the £100 I paid for the salvage and it is really useful having a spare set of wheels. In the last year, I have used several bits from the donor bike and figure that I got a good deal. I could have invested the insurance money in resurrecting the wrecked bike, but I didn't know what other damage there might be and the cost could have spiralled. 

However, based on what you describe though, damage to the lower fairing and a some cosmetic paint issues, she shouldn't cost you that much to put right - and if the bike was running good, I reckon that she'd be worth saving. Personally, I think I'd take the $2000 plus salvage offer and get her sorted (accepting that she might not be in show room condition). As you say, if you couldn't face the rebuild, you could always break her for spares and invest the capital in another bike (or buy another K100 and use the wreck as a donor bike to keep her running like I did). 

It does feel sad, but head over heart every day.Sad

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth of opinion....since you asked.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
JMO, but since it appears you have a place to store and work on a bike, I say keep it.

I personally wouldn't powder coat engine exterior or anything that can get chipped by rocks - paint is cheaper and easily repaired.

Paint on the metal/plastic body parts doesn't HAVE to cost much.  I have used rattle can paint on frames, tanks and plastic parts, sanded lightly and covered w/2k clear that no-one could tell was not professional.

Rattle can is cheap, and if you make a mistake , relatively easy/low cost to fix - it just takes time.

The 2K spray clear is not so cheap, but hard to go wrong w/it - you're gonna be sanding and polishing it to make it look like glass anyway - just might take more time.  My neighborhood home owners association made us change the color on mailboxes and poles.  I did the work that someone was charging $45 for using $30 worth of supplies (2k clear,a rattle can Rustoleum and sandpaper).  This was 10 years ago and everyone else has had to repaint at least twice and all I do is wax it...

As far as the time involved - I credit my marriage lasting 25+ years because the time I spent on projects kept me out of bars...and she kinda expects me to know how to fix almost anything (I've also spent a lot of time on HER... Wink ).

I understand that you may not want to learn to fiberglass repair your lower fairing, and that if you want/need to ride close to year 'round then maybe have to find a replacement.  If you are more of a 3/4 year or less rider, consider losing the lowers...

Of course I use the time I spend on these kind of projects as a kind of escape from the constant thinking of a network administrator and because I like working w/my hands and having people know that I am handy.

It also means my money goes further...

Please remember:  Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys...

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I would take the $2000 and keep the K!

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:I would take the $2000 and keep the K!
+1
There is only 500 difference in cash.
Keep it. Café racer it slowly on second hand parts.
The parts you wont want on the café racer will be worth more than 500 also.
Put the 2k into another bike.

Insurance Co. offering US$2500 for my bike Sany0516

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Tell the landlord that he pays to fix it and it is up to him to claim on his insurance for the damage he caused.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Tell the landlord that he pays to fix it and it is up to him to claim on his insurance for the damage he caused.
+1
My thoughts exactly. Either way, keep the bike. I think Mossy's suggestion is good tho.

That's bad news AJ. In OZ we just say 'bugger!"

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Insurance Co. offering US$2500 for my bike Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Arlina

Arlina
A bad look on a good bike is better than a good look on a bad bike.

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I'd say that you should not abandoning a trusted friend so easily.  The idea that with some careful maneuvering you can put together around $5000 for a new(er) bike strikes me as a stretch.  Consider that you have invested some time and money to bring the accident victim to her pre-accident state.  Cosmetics aside, you have confidence in her and no doubt know her inside and out.  $5K on a new(er) BMW of the range of models mentioned is a risky proposition, given that later BMWs have not distinguished themselves with great reliability.  You'd be buying a vehicle with an unknown past.  Your old K, even being a bit long of tooth, is overbuilt, very reliable and a known entity.  Frankly, I would add that I find the classic Ks to be very handsome, too.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck!
It is very sad to think that a hit from a lawn mower could spell the end of a fine machine....

Last edited by brickrider on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional thought)

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
I take the $2k and fix her up.

No way would I spend thousands of dollars on a paint job either - but thats just me and you did ask for an opinion Wink

Doing your own paint can be very satisfying and very cheap. (I have found a brand of 'rattle can' that I prefer and its the cheapest I can find too. $3.50 per can and its great stuff)

Id also be seeking funds from the neighbour. Thats just unacceptable that someone could knock your bike over in such a static and controlled environment and not have any responsibility for it...?

You could even strip it waaaay back and make a track day bike (something I would love to do)

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

I like the rattle-can solution, it makes sense if I keep the bike. The problem is, our garage is an 18th century barn with wooden slats on the floor and dust everywhere. So, it's still not a practical solution for my situation.

Given the number of bikes out there in excellent condition (and in my price range as I'm going to look at a 1998 K1200S today for US$4250) I'm tilting towards another bike. 

Still, I've really enjoyed the company of this group and will still be around for a little while at least while I find a good home for my performance parts. 

A sad day to be sure, but still it was great ride while it lasted.

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I think that sometimes it is best to just let go or every time you go to work on it you see the scars and that will always just open the old sores again and a fresh bike is always nice to have.
Be wary of any S model they tend to be back killers.
I personally like the 1200GT like TWB has about 30/70 sport/touring and they do look more modern.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum