BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   EFI wiring question Empty EFI wiring question Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member
I'm looking to relocate my EFI (I think that's what it's called--the computer that runs everyting and lives under the seat/tool tray) as part of a cafe racer build.  To do that, I need a longer wire.  I could easily cut the existing wiring, solder in some longer leads (probably adding 16 inches or so), and move it where I want to (which would actually be under the tail section).  I would use shrink tubing to insulate everyting after soldering.

My question:  is this a bad idea?  I'm more than willing to be talked out of it if doing this is unwise or would create probems.  As you might gather from this question, I am very weak on electronics, so I could really use the sage wisdom of others on the board.

2Back to top Go down   EFI wiring question Empty Re: EFI wiring question Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:50 pm

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member
So, not recieving any responses, I've been thinking over the possible downsides of this.  I'm thinking the worst case scenario is that it wouldn't work and I'd have to buy a new wiring harness.  The list price at MAX BMW is about $200.  That would be unfortuante, but not the end of the world.  But I don't know about the actual availability of the part (new or used).  Anybody have knowledge about that?

3Back to top Go down   EFI wiring question Empty Re: EFI wiring question Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
As long as the joints are soldered properly then there shouldn't be any problems. Butt the stripped wires into each other (push your fingers on each hand together and you'll get the idea) before applying solder as this minimises the increase in diameter. Somewhere around 5mm of stripped wire will do fine for the joint. Stagger all the joints - you really don't want a huge increase in the overall diameter of the wiring loom. I'm being lazy and can't be bothered to check a wiring diagram but IIRC there's only eight or nine wires to do anyway. Use a GOOD quality pre-fluxed solder and a soldering iron of approx 30watts. Any less and you won't get enough heat into the joint; any more and you stand a change of burning the existing PVC covering.

Have you got four hands? Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   EFI wiring question Empty Re: EFI wiring question Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 pm

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Dai.  Appreciate the tips on soldering also.  On other wire I've soldered (Acewell speedo/tacho, turn signals) the adjoining wire insulation is just staring to get tacky when I get it all soldered up and nicley joined.  So I think I'm hitting the sweet spot on heat.  I've been using some spring clips attached to a small board to hold things together while soldering. But a few extra hands would help!  Thanks again for the response!

5Back to top Go down   EFI wiring question Empty Re: EFI wiring question Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just as Dai said except that you need 6 hands, you need to keep the heat shrink out of the way as well Very Happy

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   EFI wiring question Empty Re: EFI wiring question Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:58 am

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
KJustin wrote:Thanks Dai.  Appreciate the tips on soldering also.  On other wire I've soldered (Acewell speedo/tacho, turn signals) the adjoining wire insulation is just staring to get tacky when I get it all soldered up and nicley joined.  So I think I'm hitting the sweet spot on heat.  I've been using some spring clips attached to a small board to hold things together while soldering. But a few extra hands would help!  Thanks again for the response!
You are twisting them to each other before joining them inline?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum