BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Front brake jamming Empty Front brake jamming Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:13 am

Wheel Rut

Wheel Rut
I have not logged on here for a while because I travel away a lot for work.  Usually I go away for a month, and therein lies my problem.  My bike stands idle for a whole month at a time.

The last time I rode it felt like the front brakes were dragging, i.e. the callipers jamming on.  When I checked the front brakes, the left disc was warm, while the right disc was rather hot.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm thinking that the right calliper is jamming, not seized.  Because it can be released, it just tends to drag while riding.

Do you think the problem is in the callipers or somewhere else?  Can these be repaired?  Any suggestions welcome.

(K100RS 16 valve with twin piston brembo's no ABS).

2Back to top Go down   Front brake jamming Empty Re: Front brake jamming Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:37 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Wheel ,
                    same thing happened to me on mine , it's no biggy , I just got a caliper seal kit for each side , problem gone

John R

3Back to top Go down   Front brake jamming Empty Re: Front brake jamming Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Quite often they just need cleaning, not even a seal kit.
The bore gets a build up of crud and the piston will stick a bit and not return fully. Be gentle with the pistons they are hard anodized aluminium and damage easily. Probably pay to strip the whole lot including the master cylinder as it will have a build up in it as well and that can cause the piston to stick in the bottom of the bore and will cause you all sorts of grief when bleeding time comes.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum