BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Crash Bar Mounting Kit Empty Crash Bar Mounting Kit Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:11 pm

gellermpd

gellermpd
So, I've obtained a set of engine crash bars for my K100RS.  Other than going through a dealer, does anyone out there know where one can find, or improvise, mounting hardware?  Many thanks to all!!!

2Back to top Go down   Crash Bar Mounting Kit Empty Re: Crash Bar Mounting Kit Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:37 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I don't think you have much choice except go for OEM. You could possibly substitute the six bobbins (for what? in the USA I have no idea) but the mounting bar needed for the right side of the sump has additional rubber mounts that are at an angle to the main bar (did that make sense?). Consequently, it would be very difficult to fabricate one yourself, IMHO.

Try www.motorworks.co.uk for parts. I'd buy new bobbins and a secondhand mounting bar. The leftside crashbars bolt to the bobbins which bolt direct to the sump. Under no circumstances bolt the crashbars direct to the sump. The first time the bike goes down it will forcibly remove the sump. Or just crack it, if you're lucky (??!). Motorworks part number for the bobbins is ACA03070 and for the (new) mounting bar is FRA03068. They advise calling if you want secondhand parts to ensure that they sell you exactly what you require.

Oh - if you hadn't already realised you're going to have to cut access holes for the crashbars in the lower fairing panels. BMW used to do a template for that; someone here may have one. I cut mine about 5mm too far forward and they look as ugly as sin.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Crash Bar Mounting Kit Empty Re: Crash Bar Mounting Kit Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:12 pm

gellermpd

gellermpd
Thanks for the info Dai.  I will probably just take a second mortgage out on my house and purchase the oem parts. LOL!

4Back to top Go down   Crash Bar Mounting Kit Empty Re: Crash Bar Mounting Kit Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:51 am

Life time member
Life time member
I have crash bars on my "to do"  list as well. It's a case of secondhand bars and new mounting kit. Worth it to protect the lower fairing and engine covers for the inevitable drop.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

5Back to top Go down   Crash Bar Mounting Kit Empty Re: Crash Bar Mounting Kit Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
PM sent

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum