BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Off Road Tyres Empty Off Road Tyres Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:46 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Hi gang,

As many would know, I run off road tyres on my K.

Thus far I have only had one set but im coming up to the renewal time for my rear. Just thought Id share my experience so far.

I have been using Hiedenau Scout K60's front and rear. 

The rear is a dual front/rear and is 140/80/17. I think they also do the more standard (for K's) 130/90/17 but the bloke at Balmain motorcycle talked me into the 140 as its 'centre tread strip' is continuous, not blocked and his logic was it would get longer life.

The front is a 110/80/18 (K1100RT front wheel). Unfortunately there are very few off road tyres available in this size. I may be stuck with the Hiedenau's on the front always. 

In short Ive loved them. They are quiet and smooth on the road and fantastic off road. I regularly scrape my boots in the twisties and have never had the rear break free under such conditions. Even in the wet they are much better then I was expecting. 

For the first half of my K's new life the odo did not work, but since I fixed it ive done 10,000kms and I estimate that I did close to 10,000kms before that. So 20,000kms and the rear is juuuust about gone and the front has plenty of life.

They are not cheap however. 

It seems Ill be doing some commuting in the next few months, but dont want to loose my off road capabilities. 2 sets of wheels/tyres would be ideal, but I dont have any spares right now.

I reckon Ill go with a Shinko 705 on the rear, which is a 80/20 vs the Hiedenau 50/50. 

There is also the Shinko 700 which is more comparable to the Hiedenau. 

Will report back in this thread in time, when I have some experience with other tyres. 

But in summary, at this stage, I highly recommend the Hiedenau for the sort of riding Ive been doing. Have no complaints at all really. Excellent tyres.

Off Road Tyres Front_10

Off Road Tyres Rear_t10

2Back to top Go down   Off Road Tyres Empty Re: Off Road Tyres Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Mean lookin' tyres!

Thanks for the write-up.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Off Road Tyres Empty Re: Off Road Tyres Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:56 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
As those who say my rear tyre at the Eden meet up can attest.....I should have bought a new one before leaving base.

But I fluctuate between tight arse mode and burns-a-hole-in-my-pocket mode....and on that particular day I was in tight arse mode....

Anyway, I certainly got my moneys worth out of the Heidenau. The centre was basically GONE and the chicken strips were fairly narrow for an enduro tyre....

In the end after a few days riding with Halo, Andy and Chris - I really really needed a newie. 

Buzz's Bikes in Albury hooked me up with a Pirrelli MT60 in 130/80/17 for $165 fitted and the old one disposed of. Pretty bloody good deal!

So far I love it. It turns in faster then the Heidenau and grips really well. On the dirt it dances around a bit more then the Heidenau but I reckon a few PSI down and all would be happy. 

Ive done about 500-600km on it now, about 100 of that dirt and about 50 sandy/granity fire trail. No complaints at all thus far.

Although there are some crack developing between the blocks which Ill keep a close eye one.

So far, for the money, its ideal for me and my riding.

Cheers!

Off Road Tyres 633017860342377788mt60-rrear

4Back to top Go down   Off Road Tyres Empty shinko Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 pm

6strings

6strings
Silver member
Silver member
I just installed shinko 705s on my bike. front is 120/80-18, rear is 130/90-17. when i git the front from the ups driver I thought there was no way it would fit, but sure enough it does. Probably have to raise the fender somehow, in case I get into some mud, it's that close.

5Back to top Go down   Off Road Tyres Empty Re: Off Road Tyres Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:19 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I thought we had 135mm between the fork stanchions so a 120 would quite OK but a 130 well it might just rub a bit. How close is that close when it comes to mm's tween the fender and the tyre????? Its an 80 aspect tyre yes?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum