BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
I've had so much help here on this forum, I just had to pass this along:

I'm fixing the various problems with my 25yr-old K100RS. Overall, she runs great, but the electrical system is ... well, 25 yrs old.

This week, the bike learned a new trick: running on 3 cylinders, only occasionally on 4 (and then, mostly at full-throttle). Where to start? Sheesh, lots of wiring, ignition computer, connectors and other troubleshooting possibilities!

Last month, I was at my local Harbor Freight store, and they had "Handheld Infrared Noncontact Thermometer with Laser Sight" on sale. This is a super cool gadget: it shines a laser beam, and then, with its LCD display, reads the temperature of wherever the laser points (up to about 3 feet away). This gadget could be a troubleshooting help, YES!

So I took the bike for a big loop around the block... yep, running cruddy the whole way. Whippped into my garage, shut the engine off, put bike on centerstand, and pulled out the temperature gadget and pointed it at the exhaust header pipes, one-by-one, right where they exit the bottom of the engine.

The temperature of all the header pipes were within a few degrees of each other, except the #4 cylinder was about 100-degrees cooler than the other three. Aha! Do this test fast... the engine cools rapidly, and the metals in the header pipes will soon become nearly the same after you shut the engine off.

This time I was lucky: pulled the electrical connector from the #4 cylinder fuel injector, and cleaned the contacts with De-Oxit. Plugged the connector back in, and WOW - the bike runs great!

I just checked, and this Infrared Laser Temperature -Sensor gadget is still on sale at Harbor Freight: $19.99. The brand name is Cen-tech. Go to www.harborfreight.com and search on Item# 93984. Right off the bat, I can think of a lot of uses for this temperature gadget around the house.

Infrared Thermometer - neat troubleshooting gadget! 93984
And NO - I do NOT work for Harbor Freight. But they have tons of neat stuff at very cool prices.

This is a great troubleshooting tool. I recommend it.

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
now that is a good application. checking the exhaust temp is great tuning tool. For $20 it is hard to beat.
I'll get one on e-bay ... it looks like a bargain.

K Put

K Put
I Can vouch for the effectiveness of this tool, being in the trade, it saves countless hours isolating single cylinder faults, another good use is finding blockages on the radiator core.
Regards Kput

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
It can also quickly check if you have a soft tyre on a car or bike as it will be running hotter than normal or hotter than the others.

Also you can check rad temperature when troubleshooting fan operation and also gearbox and final drive temperature with different oils.
Regards,
K-BIKE

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
OK OK ! I'll buy one !!!

you had me at 'gadget'

you cant have too many gadgets
Infrared Thermometer - neat troubleshooting gadget! Icon_lol Infrared Thermometer - neat troubleshooting gadget! Icon_lol

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, I'm with reg_K100RS...even it it's only to impress my mates!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Gadgets eh?

www.dealextreme.com

Enjoy

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
phil_mars wrote:Gadgets eh?

www.dealextreme.com

Enjoy

Ooohh!

Dear Santa,
I've been a really good boy this year so can I have............................

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum