BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty changing final drive seals Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:56 am

k100newbie

k100newbie
Hi all I have the method down I think but having trouble finding a reasonable priced version of the tool that removes the ring with the 4 indents on the input side of the final drive

2Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The problem with getting a tool for that is that you cant buy cheap ones. Only the manufacturers of high end tools make them and in small quantities so you just have to wear the price.
I bought a 3/4 drive socket the right external diameter and cut it back so there was 4 tangs, it works quite well but even the ordinary socket was about $40.
When you do go to undo the nut use some heat as the factory used red loctite and it needs heat to melt it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:08 am

k100newbie

k100newbie
Thanks Rick guess I'm going socket shopping

4Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:54 am

k100newbie

k100newbie
is there anything i have to setup mesurement wise when i remove that to replace the seal ?

5Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
there will be some shims so take note of where they came from and replace them in the same place

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Fri May 01, 2015 8:47 pm

k100newbie

k100newbie
Ok so trying to change the seal on the bevel drive/final drive the input side so small seal and for the life of me cannot get the nut undone I have secured it all in a jig but have tried heat, big bar rattle gun etc and still no joy any ideas

7Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty changing final drive seals Sat May 02, 2015 3:28 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi mate, someone will know for sure but I'm thinking that's the one that gets torque of around 200 ftlb when done up, so won't be too easy. Wait til an expert comes on though.

8Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat May 02, 2015 4:27 am

k100newbie

k100newbie
Hmm might be worth taking to bmw mechanic and just paying them to do it prob only take them an hour with the proper tools

9Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat May 02, 2015 4:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You wont get that big 4 prong nut of with a 1/2 in rattle gun. They are tough real tough.

10Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat May 02, 2015 5:31 am

k100newbie

k100newbie
Not worried about the 4 prong one it's the nut on the spline I can't undo wonder how much a mech would charge

11Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat May 02, 2015 5:31 am

k100newbie

k100newbie
Not worried about the 4 prong one it's the nut on the spline I can't undo wonder how much a mech would charge

12Back to top Go down   changing final drive seals  Empty Re: changing final drive seals Sat May 02, 2015 6:05 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have not had any trouble with them but I think I have used the 3/4 rattler on it. It would be marginal with a 1/2 inch rattler.
Wouldn't cost much as it should only be a very quick job.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum